philsaudio

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Playing Bass, Grandkids, camping

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

KWA PN 197-0130

I noticed a few others here and on other forums are having the same problem with their magazines. The follower http://store.kwausa....nefollower.aspx gets stuck or is nearly impossible to pull down with a fingernail.

Some say  releasing the follower without a bb in the mag will cause this. I kinda don't believe that. Here is how I kinda fixed it. I say kinda cause I went a little overboard on some of it before I figured out exactly what was causing it to stick.

The problem area is relatively accessable and easy to disassemble and reassemble. Just take the two screws out of the bottom to release the rubber cover and the spring and follower come right out,  providing they are not stuck.

Posted Image

If I were starting anew, knowing what I know now, this is where I would begin. Just file and sand the follower here.
Posted Image

If the channel inside the magazine is rough you could sand, file and sand it a little, but don't mess with the bottom where the follower catches or it may not catch again. Lightly file the channel and then roll up some sandpaper and sand sand sand away.

Posted Image

The follower should move smoothly inside the channel.  You can blow it out with compressed air and clean it up with a patch on an unjamming rod since the channel is the same size as a bb. A long Q-tip can get the side where the follower lip rides. I dont recommend oiling.

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,715 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Thanks Phil...Where did you buy the mag in the photos?

#3 philsaudio

philsaudio

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

It was the mag that came with the 1911. It was never smooth inside, the edge of the lip running up and down looked like the spring made grooves in it from top to bottom. This was the least of the problems with this gun. The washer on the recoil spring was messed up out of the box too. http://kwausa.com/fo...358

Both the original owner and  Hamsa at Atlanta Airsoft filed and sanded on it before the original owner, a real steel gun nut buddy whom I talked into buying it, even before I owned an airsoft gun, traded it to me. He is turned off on airsoft since he bought an Ed Brown 1911 chambered for 22 long rifile.

I think this one is a monday morning lemon and I plan to trade it but I want it to work. BTW the pro shop is out of the followers and replacement mags are out of stock everwhere so the 1911 is now a fine paperweight.

Peace

#4 GabezR

GabezR

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

This happened to me the other day, I just sprayed some silicone oil down the springs flank and sure enough if got moving.
Just greased the whole frontal piece of the spring and its been fine ever since :)

#5 philsaudio

philsaudio

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

I like clean bbs coming out of my guns. I know some people just spray silicone oil into their guns to fix just about anything. I see lots of videos where this is recommended, some on sites that are selling guns.

My personal opinion on doing that is it is the beginning of the end of the gun you just ruined.

Peace

#6 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,715 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

To a degree I need to agree on this point.  Spray silicone on the mag, the gun, the hop-up....is just bad MOJO!

#7 GabezR

GabezR

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

It wasn't copious amounts! I knew someone would pipe up! ;)

Nah it was a light spraying and then I cleaned out the bb holding zone with a soft rag, so the spring is very nice and slick.
Nothing else!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1911 PTP MK, 197-01301, stickey spring, mag, magazine, mag repair, magazine repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users