K120 Feeding Problems

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 The Grand Baboon

The Grand Baboon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, reloading, backpacking, airsoft, guitar.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

My KWA K120 Midcaps are giving me troubles in my KWA CQR.

With the gun straight up and down in a normal shooting stance, I'll only get 2-3 BBs before it starts dry firing. Sometimes it will shoot more, then stop for a couple dry fires, then start going again. Most of the time though, it just stops after 3-4 rounds. I was thinking it was the magazine jamming at first, but I'm not so sure about that.

Here's why

I can turn the gun upside down and it feeds the entire magazine flawlessly. I can also just hold the BB retention clip back and the entire contents of the magazine flies out.  

I'm not sure what to do. I've completely disassembled the magazines, cleaned them with soapy water, and made sure that I have a little bit of lube on the BB track.

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,747 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Do other mags feed in the gun?  Also, what BB's are you using?  Those questions aside, I do not believe it is the MAG but rather the gun.  Is your CQR still under warranty?  If so, I would recommend sending it in for repair.

#3 The Grand Baboon

The Grand Baboon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Yes, other mags feed just fine. I had to borrow a cheapie JG highcap at the last game to even play. It fed perfectly the entire day.

I think I've pretty much shot dead whatever warranty I had. I've painted it, thrown on a mock suppressor, installed a 3/4 cylinder, and did a nice shim/grease job.

I'm using ASGI .20's

#4 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,747 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

Well that's the good news then!  Your mags have a warranty too.  If they are under 45 days I would consider contacting KWA for repair or replacement.

#5 The Grand Baboon

The Grand Baboon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Oh do they? That's great...I just don't have the original receipt.

#6 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

Is this just one (1) magazine?  You wrote "midcaps" (plural).  I bought mine as a "six pack."  If more than one it's the gun.  If just one it's the magazine.

Even if under warranty it'll cost you $5 to send the magazine in for repair.  As I recall these are only $10 each to start with.

-- Chuck

#7 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:05 AM

Yes the cost breaks down to about $10 a mag but it's always sold in a pack of 6 and I have not yet seen these sell individually.  So I would send it in even if it cost $5 for shipping.

#8 The Grand Baboon

The Grand Baboon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

I'm having issues with 4-5 of the mags including the one that came with the gun.

I mark all my magazines with a white "R" on the bottom with automotive paint, this wouldn't void my warranty would it?

#9 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,747 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

I see no reason why it would void the warranty.

#10 Gojyumatt

Gojyumatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

I'm having the same problem with every k120 mag I have.    All my non kwa hi-caps feed great but my new k120s are suffering the same issue as grand baboon.    Feeding a random amount of rounds then dry fires, then repeats the entire mag.    It's all random too.  It might dry fire once or 15 times.    Yet every time I turn the gun upside down it feeds instantly!  Then I can turn it back over and it feeds for a little while longer.  Again all random.. Might fire 20 rounds fibe before another dry fire or it might fire 2.   :(

I purchased them on October 2 from airsoftgi.  
(ironic because it looks like that's the day this post was started.... Maybe its just bad juju! Haha)

Should l clean them or should I just send them back??

#11 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,747 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

Help a brother here...what gun are we talking about?  Is it one of the new CQR's?

#12 Gojyumatt

Gojyumatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Nope. Sr-12 and my m4a1.   Tested them in both guns and I have the same random feeding issue every time.

#13 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

If you are having issues with your magazines a few things come to mind.

1) Have you accidentally left rounds in the magazine? I.e. loading them and then storing them without unloading them before storage.  by not unloading you run the risk compressing the spring and then have it shorten because of the compression.

2) what kind of BB's are you using? sometimes if the BB's are just slightly larger than normal, it happens, the bb can slow/jam the follower causing it to not properly push the bb's up into the gun.

3) Have you stretch your spring?  On my old MAG magazines when I wasn't feeding I would take the spring out and give them a stretch by pulling on them by a little bit to make it just a little longer/return them to size because I left the magazine loaded in storage.

Worst case scenario you can always contact us on the help desk.  And since it is a magazine, you can most likely ship them in a flat rate envelope for cheap.

#14 Gojyumatt

Gojyumatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

No viet. Never stretched the spring or left rounds in them.. They are brand new! I ordered the 6 pack on October 2, 2012 from airsoft gi.    When them came in about 5 days later I was in the process of upgrading my guns so I couldn't test them.  

Once I was able to test them I realized I had feeding issues... I figured it was a gun problem at first. But after numerous testing with other mags I have realized that I only have these feeding issues with these k120 mags.

All my non kwa hi-caps fees perfectly!  But all 6 k120s are having issues with feeding.  And all at random..... But will never get through even half the mag before the firs dry fire.   But the minute you turn the gun upside down they start feeding instantly again.

Is this something I should send back to kwa or back to airsoft gi?  

I'm assuming at this point that I just got a box of bad mags.   :(

#15 Gojyumatt

Gojyumatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Sorry I forgot to answer your bb question.  

I've tried

Airsoft elite .20
Tds .20
Crosman .20
Airsoft elite .23
G&G .25
Matrix .25
Tsd .28
Ksc .30

I knew you guys would ask me what bbs I tried with them so I tested 1 mag with every brand of bb I could find in the house!   All the same problem!

And yes I realize I have way to many different brands of bbs floating around!   I like testing different brands out to see what works best for me. :)

#16 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Contact us on the Help desk, remember if you have problems with any of your KWA products, we would appreciate it that you come to us rather than to contact your dealer.  Mention that you talked to me on the forums and that you are using a CQR Mod 2.  We may want you to send in your gun as well so that we can check and confirm issues for you.  I'm going to notify the other customer service reps to watch for your ticket.  Don't worry Gojyumatt, you are in good hands.  We will get you squared away!

#17 Gojyumatt

Gojyumatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thanks viet!  It's great to know you guys stand behind your products and take care of the customer!   I LOVE KWA!!!

Ps. It was grand baboon that uses a Cqr mod 2.   In having issues with them in my sr-12 and m4a1.   But either way I will call monday and let them know you directed me to them!!  

Thanks so much!!!

#18 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

Ah, either way.  We have a customer service department here to serve you guys, the consumer.  So with any future product issues, or questions about our products, do not hesitate to contact us.

#19 Gojyumatt

Gojyumatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Sorry about the late reply... That storm kind of pushed plans back this week.  

I have good an bad news regarding my k120 mags..

Good news.. They work...  
Bad news....  Not in my sr-12!  :(

I don't know if it's a feeding ramp issue or something else, but my sr-12 just doesnt like these mags!  
At first my m4 was having issues as well but now will fire through every k120 mag without any issues!  

I've even gone as far as taking out the barrel and hop-up from the sr-12 and put it in my m4..  And the mags fire fine!    

At this point  I figured it was a issue with the feeding ramp. So while the barrel was out of the sr12 I decided to put a full mag into the lower half of the receiver to see if any bbs were getting caught up on the ramp...

Nope!   All the bbs shot straight up and bounced off the ceiling... With every mag!  

So now I'm totally stumped!

It's not a Mag issue because they work in my m4.

It's not a hop-up issue or bucking issue because te mags fire through both barrels when put into the m4.

So the only thing left is the feeding ramp right??  But it doesn't seem to be blocking the bbs path in any way.

What is my next step of troubleshooting?  

#20 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

I agree that it may be an issue with the feeding ramp.  Have you ever disassembled your SR12 before?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users