5 replies to this topic

#1 bg1111

bg1111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hello,

Watched some videos on maintenance of GBB pistols. Some mentioned to leave some gas in the magazine to keep some pressure on the seals or they would end up leaking in the future.

The owners manual for the KWA MK series mentions to empty it after shooting:
"It is strongly recommended to empty the gas from the magazine after shooting."

Should I then when I'm done, shoot the gun until it's empty of gas? The manual also mentions not to just press the gas release button as it could damage the seal.

How long then can I leave a mag full of gas or some gas?

Thanks

#2 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

I typically leave gas inside the magazine for extended periods of time, and never seen any sort of damage to the magazine. To leave at least a little bit of green gas inside will help lubricate seals, yet at the same time, it may be unsafe to store large amounts of gas inside the magazine at all times. One things for sure: don't leave pure propane inside the magazine. That would definitely dry up the seals.

So it's really a matter of opinion based upon previous experience. I like to keep gas inside my magazines just to conserve gas. But your mileage may vary.

#3 bid2630

bid2630

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

I always keep gas in my mags.  No issues to report and I too think it helps to keep seals lubed.

#4 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

Emptying magazines after use would be more for safety reasons since the gas is combustible and mags can leak or gas released unintentionally. This can obviously cause a fire hazard.
I leave very little gas in my mags and when I say little I mean enough gas to get off only about 2 shots.

#5 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Once I computed that a can of green gas will only fill six (6) LM4 magazines I stopped exhausting the gas before storage.  The 1911 Mark-series are much smaller, but dump the gas is still wasted gas.

-- Chuck

#6 Guest_Allizard_*

Guest_Allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Niko is correct.  The manual stated to empty the gas in magazine is mainly for safety reason because we have no idea what temperature is the location and the condition of the gun.  Too many random valuables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users