• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 whisper22

whisper22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

I'm looking at getting a pistol in the near future but am having trouble figuring out which one to get. My bf has the M9 PTP and I like it a lot except the grip is a little big for my hand (I'm a girl). The USP Compact fits great in my hand but I don't like how small the rest of the gun is. I basically need an M9 with a USP Compact grip. Any ideas? Yes I specifically want a KWA, no I don't want any kind of 1911, and no I don't like the ATP. The HK45 was alright but still a little big for my hand.

#2 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

Welcome to the forum! I have the M9 tactical and I definitely understand what you mean when you say the grip is too big for you.

Have you held the normal size USP yet? I believe the grip is slightly bigger than the USP Compact, but I think it should work for you. Unfortunately there isnt really a compact version of the M9, at least available in airsoft or through KWA. If you dont like the look or the design of the USP, the grip on the CZ75 is smaller and may suit you better, along with the grip on the TT33 tokarev.
ALSO, a few of KWAs smaller/compact guns havent been released yet.
Such as the Makarov and the 945C.

If I were you, if you havent already, I would try and get to a retailer that has the full line up, and see what you like the best. Its all about ergonomics, and you wont know till you get it in your hands!

#3 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

The Beretta M92FS/M9 pistol is large for a 9mm but with some familiarization is not all that difficult to handle even for folks with smaller hands.  The KWA M9-PTP is a very accurate reproduction in every respect other than trigger weight.  The light trigger though makes it easy to shoot.  I'm experimenting with springing to increase trigger weight to match the prototype pistols.

DA/SA pistols are indisputably the hardest to master and maintain skills with and I don't recommend them unless your agency or service demands them.  The airsoft trigger weight eliminates much of this though.  The Army uses the M9 so I maintain my skills with it as often as possible.  The KWA M9-PTP lets me do this daily right off my back deck.

So far the M9-PTP has proven to be accurate, reliable, and a perfect match for the 9mm (or .40S&W) version and I recommend it highly.  All the skills in gun handling transfer directly to the real pistol.  Unlike the WE version I originally purchased the safety decocks the KWA allowing easy DA practice, the critical skill with DA or DA/SA pistols.

Gunfights -- airsoft or real -- are more about gun handling than absolute marksmanship.  Ya gotta work the weapon to succeed.

-- Chuck

#4 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Whisper, What I would recommend is the M226, but you will have to wait until it comes back in stock at your local retailer.  Or if you are able to find KWA at one of the next events in Socal or if you are in Arizona this weekend you can pick up one of the display models and check it out yourself.  You can also go to your local gun range or store and as them about the P226 and see if they will let you handle it, since you are just looking for grip size and comfort.  Personally I dont like the M9 myself, it is too large and awkward for my hand and the USP is also to large for me to grip comfortably.  So the M226 fits very well in my hands or the KZ75 might also fit you well.

#5 whisper22

whisper22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thanks very much for the replies everyone. I believe yes I've held both the reg USP and the M226. I'll have to investigate the M226 more as well as compare all 4 versions of the USP side by side. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like from largest to smallest would be the reg USP, USP Tac, USP Comp Tac, and USP Comp.

#6 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

honestly, USP = USP tac which are both larger than USPc = USPc.  the only difference between the tactical and the standard variants are the higher sights and threaded outer barrel.  The USP tac also has ambi-safety.

#7 whisper22

whisper22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Ah OK. Thanks. Any idea when the M226 will be shipping to stores?

#8 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

I want to say soon.  however, I don't want to give any actual dates until I have it in my hands.  We have a lot of product currently that we are trying to get in, so hopefully a batch of m226's will be included.

#9 whisper22

whisper22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thanks again for all the info everyone :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users