• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 elrobster

elrobster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hello, I'm wondering; How hard would it be to use this gun left handed? Would the magazine release, bolt catch and safety be in easy reach? If not, are there any easy conversions that I can do to make this gun more lefty friendly? It's unfortunate that guns tailored to left handed people aren't very common, being left handed seems almost like a handicap these days.

#2 Jakeedaman21

Jakeedaman21

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Its to bad you were born with such a handicap... Have you operated any M4 style AEGs before? Its not much different.

#3 elrobster

elrobster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

I've shot many, many real steel guns, mostly pump action and lever action, I've never really operated an "assault rifle" style gun. I would imagine that it would be a little bit awkward to use the mag release and safety with the wrong fingers though.

#4 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Crusader makes an ambidextrious fire selector or you can just modify the OEM one and add the right side selector lever from a real steel model. I at one point modified a ar15 ambidextrious selector, though the diameter is smaller than the LM4 and it has some play. In the end I just went with the steel selector from Guarder which isn't ambidextrious as I have yet to use full auto in a game and don't intend to, and unlike real operators, it never goes onto safe (as I don't like to leave the hammer locked back between games) and the LM4 can't fire without a magazine (unlike a real AR)

As for an ambidextrious magazine catch, it is possible to modify in AEG models but it requires some modification as the LM4 receiver is thinner than the AEG body. I have not yet tried an actual AR15 release.

As for the charging handle, the only option is to put an AR15 charging handle latch that's ambidextrious as RS and other GBBR models won't work or won't work reliably.

Edited by akiraspeedstar, 14 September 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#5 elrobster

elrobster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thank you for the prompt and informed response. I guess I will just need to get used to using the gun the "wrong way" for now, and if that proves to be too annoying, I'll invest in some modifications.

#6 khanhhoang

khanhhoang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:50 AM

http://i293.photobuc...-03210353-1.jpg

http://i293.photobuc...09-03210413.jpg

#7 khanhhoang

khanhhoang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

http://i293.photobuc...-03210353-1.jpg

http://i293.photobuc...09-03210413.jpg

i cut down the left side so when in semi it wont hit my trigger finger.
on the right side i did some modification to fit a aeg style selector.

charging handle wont be much of a problem... since you only have to charge it once to load the first round... and everytime you change to a new magazine, you have to hit the bolt release.

magazine release... since the magazine is 40 bucks a piece, i highly doubt that you going to drop your empty mag to reload a new one... I normally just reach for the magazine release button with my right hand at the same time grab the empty mag so i can put it into the dump pouch.

hope it helps

#8 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:02 AM

The LM4 PTR is marketed as a professional training rifle although I doubt that many are sold to military or police agencies.  It matches the controls of the US M4 Carbine, the standard infantry weapon in the US Army and the AR15 rifle which is probably the largest single design ever sold in the USA.

The selector is on the left side of the receiver ONLY; the magazine release button is on the right side of the receiver ONLY.  "10-percenters" know they're living in a "90-percent" world and adapt every day.  No difference here.  ;)

Would an ambidextrous selector be a better idea?  Of course, but there ain't one on the M4.  Putting one on your LM4 (or AR15) does not teach you how to operate the real carbine and isn't necessary anyway.  Gimmicks like ambidextrous magazine releases really don't help and just add complexity and things that break to the rifle.  And they also detract from learning how to operate the M4 Carbine.

The M4 Carbine (LM4/M16/AR15) is very easy to operate left handed.

I run my Army qualification right- and left-handed alternatively so I can operate the rifle in any situation with either hand and shoulder.  Left handed ain't really any harder.  Firing left handed the firing hand thumb when placed on the left side of the grip works the selector easier than when firing right handed and changing magazines with the right (support) hand is extremely easy.  

Depending on any magazine to drop free is a dangerous assumption.  Strip it.  Your support hand is there anyway.  Depress the magazine release with your right thumb and the mag is right there if it didn't fall.  Strip it and go to your belt for the spare.  Very little wasted motion.  Those internet videos where guys violently twist the rifle and the magazine shoots out are great until the magazine sticks in the rifle.  Then there's a brain cramp followed by lots of twisting and shaking when the magazine could have been changed easily without a "show off" technique.  :)  An embarrassment on the range or in a game with more serious consequences when the targets are shooting back with real bullets!  Bad habits with airsoft translate to bad habits in the real world.

RLTW,

-- Chuck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: left handed, LM4, ease of use

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users