Modification to allow racking the slide from slide-lock ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Has anyone come up with a solution to allow racking the slide from slide-lock?

For a "professional" training pistol the inability to do this is a serious defect in my view.

I tried leaving the "shock buffer" out to lengthen the slide stroke but the slide hangs up on the funny lip on the top of the hammer and won't close.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 28 August 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#2 optimuskmg

optimuskmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

i think i know what your talking about.. and correct me if im wrong, but you mean when the slide is locked back, to pull back on it, and have it unlock itself?

if this is correct, its not possible. because the piece on the magazine follower that allow's the gun to know when to lock back, works because as the bb's exit the mag, the spring pushes the follower up toward the top of the magazine, and as the last bb exit's the magazine, the follower is at the top of the magazine as well, you will notice at this point, from the side there is a small bar that is part of the BB follower, the sticks out the side wall of the mag. this allow's it to push up the slide lock and engage the notch in the slide, locking back your slide.. so aside from removing that part of the follower, and effectively defeating the purpose of wanting to release the slide from the locked position (considering it would no longer lock).

if none of that made sense, (and it useualy does'nt) no. unfortunately the way its made, its not possible.

#3 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

I've racked my slide back to chamber a new round in a fresh mag a few times before... I think it may be possible, with some sanding of a specific part of the slide, but I can't say for sure unless I try it.

#4 optimuskmg

optimuskmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

maybe your right.. i could be a nay sayer... Chuck S you could be my favorite person on this forum. i allways see you posting idea's that never cease to amaze me. im gonna grab a pistol and put some thought into it and see if i can help you with what your thinking..

#5 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

The notch where the slide locks engages the slide, there's an edge on the left side of the notch... if it is rounded out, perhaps when pulling the slide back, the direction in which the rounded notch is shaped could push the slide lock lever down, therefore making the racking slide mod a possibility.

#6 optimuskmg

optimuskmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

thats what i was thinking.. il try it on my atp maybe? the bar is really is easy to replace if i brake it..

#7 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

View Postoptimuskmg, on 28 August 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

thats what i was thinking.. il try it on my atp maybe? the bar is really is easy to replace if i brake it..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the ATP already has the ability to chamber a round by racking the slide back on a fresh magazine.

#8 jaydee114

jaydee114

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

I was able to rack my slide after a few months of breaking in

#9 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:20 AM

Thanks, guys, keep the ideas coming.  I'll have to look for interference points when I have some time over the weekend.

My KWA M9-PTP allows the slide to be racked from slide-lock, just like my instructors insist on during magazine changes after the pistol has run dry.  Using the slide lock as a slide release is a poor technique as it's a fine motor skill and the slide lock is in a different place on every pistol.  Run in a fresh magazine and let your support hand continue up and over the slide (thumb to the rear) and "roll and rack."

-- Chuck

#10 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

The M9 PTP has the ability to be racked after a fresh mag has been inserted since the slide catch lever is spring loaded. If you notice, even holding the gun upside down, pulling the slide back and flicking the lever, the slide catch lever will always return to its normal resting place. That is because it is spring loaded. This spring rests behind the lever, and also holds the trigger bar in place.

#11 optimuskmg

optimuskmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PostOutlaw1995, on 28 August 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the ATP already has the ability to chamber a round by racking the slide back on a fresh magazine.
is that what he is talking about? in this case then yes. it can

#12 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

I'm going to help clarify this thread.  The ATP can strip a fresh round off of a new mag from the slide lock position.  This means that you do not need to hit the slide release in order to load the next round if you so choose to train in this manner and requires no modifications or part changes.

As far as I'm aware, of our PTP line, the only guns that can not strip a round off the magazines would be the M1911 MK series.  This is due to the buffer placed inside to improve reliability and durability.  

Hope this clears things up.

#13 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

It clears it up and the shock buffer certainly shortens the slide stroke a little bit.  I'd still like to be able to cycle the slide from slide lock though.  :)  The pistol will not cycle without this pair of washers.  If removed, the lip on the top of the hammer hangs up at the front of the slide breech block where there's a little lip that catches the hammer and won't release the slide without pushing the hammer back more.

Mine is less than a week old so I ain't fooling with the hammer or slide!  What's the hammer lip for?

-- Chuck

#14 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostChuck S, on 29 August 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

It clears it up and the shock buffer certainly shortens the slide stroke a little bit.  I'd still like to be able to cycle the slide from slide lock though.  :)  The pistol will not cycle without this pair of washers.  If removed, the lip on the top of the hammer hangs up at the front of the slide breech block where there's a little lip that catches the hammer and won't release the slide without pushing the hammer back more.

Mine is less than a week old so I ain't fooling with the hammer or slide!  What's the hammer lip for?

-- Chuck

It may shorten the slide stroke, but like I said you can still strip the round and cycle your slide from the slide lock.

#15 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Yes, but only by using the slide stop as a slide release.  Something my Gunsite instructors find unacceptable and prone to error.

The 1911-PTP mimics the M1911 fully with no spring loaded slide stop.  Retracting the slide on a M1911 depresses the slide stop out of the slot as the front edge is angled.  The angle is there on the 1911-PTP but the slide dan't be retracted far enough for it to work.  Other pistols, like the Beretta M9 have a spring to help pull the slide stop out of the slide and the KM9-PTP does this as well.

-- Chuck

#16 optimuskmg

optimuskmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

it seems as though i miss understood what you were asking..  on that note. im going to go hit up the pic's thread ;) sorry i was a bit misleading chuck haha

#17 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

You can glue a small piece of plastic in front of the slide stop.

Posted Image

Edited by Desert Punk, 22 November 2012 - 01:34 AM.

#18 LBG2

LBG2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

could you maybe fit a small torsion spring on the slide lock lever your take out to pull your gun apart to twist it back down when u relive the pressure off of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users