Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:59 AM

Posted Image

Nothing special.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 26 August 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#2 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

Very nice! What make is the bottom one?

Edited by aaps59, 25 August 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#3 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

The bottom carbine is a 1990 vintage Colt M4 (pre-detachable handle) upper receiver on the same vintage Bushmaster lower.  All circa First Gulf War.  The Bushmaster upper was damaged in an accident, hence the Colt upper.  Been my go-to carbine for all these years.  Simple.  Reliable.  The Vortex flash suppressor kills literally all flash with USGI ammo and brings the barrel out to 16" avoiding NFA hassles.  The Magpul stock isn't stock, or course.

The ARMS M68A2 mount puts the M68 CCO (Aimpoint CompM) over the hanguards and cowitnessed with the iron sights.  Placing the dot sight as far forward as possible allows faster two-eyes-open target transition -- try it and see.  The silver color lever prevents the selector from moving to AUTO.  Totally unnecessary on this semi-automatic lower of course but blended in when training ARNG soldiers years ago and just left it on.

I prefer the old M16A1 "no-finger-thingie" pistol grip as fitted to the M4.  Not looked at the KWA grip close enough to determine how to remove the bump and I ain't into disassembling the month old AEG carbine right now.  If it ain't broke...

The KWA flash hider was painted with dry film lubricant for the photo to hide the orange tip.

The KWA has proven to be a very nice training carbine and will only get better once I find a decent red dot sight.  (I prefer to keep the price of red dot sights under the cost of the rifles!)

-- Chuck

#4 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,588 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Thank you for the write-up.

#5 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

View PostChuck S, on 26 August 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

The bottom carbine is a 1990 vintage Colt M4 (pre-detachable handle) upper receiver on the same vintage Bushmaster lower.  All circa First Gulf War.  The Bushmaster upper was damaged in an accident, hence the Colt upper.  Been my go-to carbine for all these years.  Simple.  Reliable.  The Vortex flash suppressor kills literally all flash with USGI ammo and brings the barrel out to 16" avoiding NFA hassles.  The Magpul stock isn't stock, or course.

The ARMS M68A2 mount puts the M68 CCO (Aimpoint CompM) over the hanguards and cowitnessed with the iron sights.  Placing the dot sight as far forward as possible allows faster two-eyes-open target transition -- try it and see.  The silver color lever prevents the selector from moving to AUTO.  Totally unnecessary on this semi-automatic lower of course but blended in when training ARNG soldiers years ago and just left it on.

I prefer the old M16A1 "no-finger-thingie" pistol grip as fitted to the M4.  Not looked at the KWA grip close enough to determine how to remove the bump and I ain't into disassembling the month old AEG carbine right now.  If it ain't broke...

The KWA flash hider was painted with dry film lubricant for the photo to hide the orange tip.

The KWA has proven to be a very nice training carbine and will only get better once I find a decent red dot sight.  (I prefer to keep the price of red dot sights under the cost of the rifles!)

-- Chuck
Have you had to reapply the layer of dri lube on the flash hider? Also, is it dri lube, or dri graphite lube?

Edited by aaps59, 26 August 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#6 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

The dry film lubricant (MIL-L-23398) lasted about two days and started peeling off.  Probably couldn't stick to the enamel orange paint real well!  This "spray paint" is what's used to refinish M16 receivers at unit level and does a fine job.  Also refinishes old aluminum magazines.  The magazine in the M4 was a semi gold finish a few minutes before the photo a couple of days ago.

Replaced the compensator with a Guarder M4A1-12 steel 14mm CCW threaded device.  No Allen screw in this one so I put a bit of Blue LockTite on the threads.  Still looks just like the photo.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 26 August 2012 - 02:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users