7 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

I'm more than happy with my M9 PTP -- other than the trigger weight.

The DA trigger is only 4.5 pounds and the SA a mere 2.5 pounds (average of 10 with my digital trigger scale).  I'd like to get the SA weight up to 4.5 to match my 9mm duty Berettas.

Is there a stronger trigger spring that will work?  The standard Beretta M92 trigger spring looks like it would fit and it has an extra coil.  Anyone tried this?  Does it provide a heavier trigger?

-- Chuck

#2 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hi Chuck,
The M9 PTP is able to accept many real steel parts including grips, magazine catches, and trigger return springs. I'm sure the gun can accept a trigger return spring made for a real 92, but I'm not sure on how long the parts will hold up. The trigger transfer bar may snap where it comes into contact with the trigger since it is not made from steel I believe. The added pressure from the heavier trigger return spring may break other pieces, but you don't know until you try it, right? You could be our guinea pig if you are willing to take the risk and test it out yourself. Good luck! ;)

#3 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

Let me see if I can find some parts...

Since the spring only returns the parts to reset and they don't take much force to move I'm not convinced a heavier spring will put any stress on the parts.  But that's a guess and part of the fun of being a guinea pig.

-- Chuck

#4 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Tried the M92/M96 trigger return spring in the M9-PTP.  Added maybe a pound of trigger weight.  Still too light.  I may see if I can get two of them in there this weekend.

-- Chuck

#5 kullwarrior

kullwarrior

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Immunology, Virus, Infectious Bacteria, Firearms

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostChuck S, on 07 September 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Tried the M92/M96 trigger return spring in the M9-PTP.  Added maybe a pound of trigger weight.  Still too light.  I may see if I can get two of them in there this weekend.

-- Chuck
Hammer spring is what you want to replace, but doing so will drop gas efficiency
//sorry for odd autocorrect words by my phone//

#6 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

OK, pulled the mainspring out of a buddy's M9PTP (what KWA calls the hammer spring).  Shorter and lighter than a M92 mainspring.

1.  Trial 1:  Cut the lightest M92 mainspring I could fine (16#) to M9PTP length.  Intuitively knew it'd be too strong.  Dry fire trigger weight was the same as an issue M9 pistol.  DA 12+ pounds (groan); SA 6 pounds.  Very notchy (is that a word?) trigger pull but the pistol did function properly albeit with gas out the ejection port the first few shots from a freshly charged magazine.

2.  Trial 2:  Shortened the spring another two coils.  Very smooth trigger pull with a DA weight of 7.5 pounds and a SA weight about 4.0 pounds.  Darn near what my M92G weighs with a "D" mainspring.  Same gas blowout the ejection port for the first few shots from a freshly charged magazine.  The shorter spring has less constant load on the hammer.

Chronograph data with the new mainspring is the same as with the factory spring (within a pound).  Recoil seems unchanged.

I'll try this on my new M9PTP after the warranty expires?  :)

-- Chuck

#7 Marc_92FS

Marc_92FS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, photography, prog rock, jazz, classical music.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hey, Chuck... nothing less but agreeing 100% to your opinion on the lightness of the M9 PTP trigger.
Had not too many, but several misfires, or better: early-fired shots with mine during timed practice.

Perhaps I'll try the mod you described, just to get the PTP closer to 92FS feeling I can.

Regards...

Marc.

#8 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Marc --

Not sure if you can find a 19# M1911 mainspring but I use this spring in my Beretta M92G pistol.  I'd have cut this spring down for the M9PTP, but darned if I can find my pack of springs.

-- Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users