22 replies to this topic

#1 -farmBOY-

-farmBOY-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

Okay, so I really love the realism of the lm4 but I want a ptp to go along with it. I have always wanted the M226 (P226), simply because it's the gun the Navy SEALs use. However I have noticed various topics hammering on some reoccurring problems. I am open to any of the other ptps, but as you can see I am quite bias towards the 226. I have also noticed alot of problems period with ptps in general(but like others have pointed out this is kind of a bias pool of data, I would argue a very bias pool). I would also like to add that I might also be open to some of KWA's other pistols like the HK45, MK23, USP and so on....However I would need some ringing endorsements before I turned away from the ptps(love the realism!). So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has expierinces (good or bad) with any of KWA's line up of pistols to please share. But more specifically the 226 and ptps in general:) Just an fyi, I play mostly field so something with good range and accuracy would be ideal. -Thanks!

#2 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

I love both my PTP pistols. Both perform nearly the same in terms of accuracy, reliability and fps, so your purchase will be based on comfortability with the weapon platform, and features as well as ergonomics. The M9 PTP has a large magazine count, 24 rounds in the standard capacity mag, 32 in the M93r mag, and 48 rounds in the extended. The MK 2 I own holds only 14 rounds. Both perform flawlessly, it's just that these are the two major differences between the two. I would recommend both these pistols and their counterparts, (M9 PTP Tac, MK1,MK3,MK4) so it's really up to what you are most comfortable with.

#3 optimuskmg

optimuskmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

the adaptive training pistol, because its alot of fun to shoot, its got good magazine capacity, and its very unique. it also preforms well, is propane tolorent, and is easy to work on. its also a very comfortable pistol to use, and fits in any Gloc k 17 holsters on the market.

#4 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

I have to go with the M9. I really feel its the most solid GBB on the market. Outlaw has covered the other reasons

#5 Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

I have two KWA pistols, M9 and the USP.  I would recommend either of them. Both have withstood much punishment. I even used propane for awhile.

My thought is that you should hold and get a feel for several guns and go with what feels right. If possible shoot a few as well. if you do go with the M9, keep in mind that the rail makes it more difficult to find a holster. If you aren't going to get a light for it, don't get the M9 tactical.

#6 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

The M9 PTP nicely mimics the Beretta 9mm version very nicely including the horrible slide mounted safety the Army inflicted on us.  Many of us for whom the M9 is a duty weapon have acquired "G" slides that only de-cock and don't safe but we can't expect airsoft pistols in every variation!

If you're going to use this as a professional training pistol it does an excellent job.  Unlike the 9mm version the PTP version locks the slide when the safety is engaged.  Not prototypical, but a great aid in holstering the pistol and requires deactivating the safety during the draw stroke or the trigger is dead, just like the 9mm version.  You can leave the safety off but, like its 9mm sister, you still gotta go thru the motion of flipping the lever to Fire or the pistol will be safed when you least expect it.   A few stinging BBs here, the potential of large wounds in the real world.  A good training pistol.

I've not trained/played with the P226 airsoft version but suspect it's more difficult to holster as the 9mm P226 has no safety on the prototype that can lock the slide on the PTP version.

If you're going to play airsoft games the realism of either of these pistols is still there but unnecessary.  If you don't have a real service pistol the ATP may be a better choice as it's a blend of the features of several centerfire pistols.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 24 August 2012 - 02:12 AM.

#7 -farmBOY-

-farmBOY-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:29 AM

WOW! That was quick...haha. Thank you all for the quick responses! I am starting to lean towards the M9..... however I would say the other pistols are still very much on the table. It would be nice to see some 226 owner's reviews, as I am still very interested in it. Also if you guys wouldn't mind including how these pistols have treated you, as far as range and accuracy goes that would be great(I know some of you toched on it). I confess that I have not had the chance to fire or even hold any PTPs. My local store just dosent have them in stock.....and none of my friends have one :(. So I am going completely of your experiences.....
Thanks for the help!  

#8 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

-farmBOY-, on 24 August 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

WOW! That was quick...haha. Thank you all for the quick responses! I am starting to lean towards the M9..... however I would say the other pistols are still very much on the table. It would be nice to see some 226 owner's reviews, as I am still very interested in it. Also if you guys wouldn't mind including how these pistols have treated you, as far as range and accuracy goes that would be great(I know some of you toched on it). I confess that I have not had the chance to fire or even hold any PTPs. My local store just dosent have them in stock.....and none of my friends have one :(. So I am going completely of your experiences.....
Thanks for the help!  
Definitely try to get out and hold some of the guns. Just holding them will change your opinion-- trust me. My friend owns an M226 PTP. It experiences the same problems stated on the forum, but that shouldn't sway you from purchasing it. If you ever do come into those issues with any KWA gun, you always have your 45 day warranty, and lifetime tech support with KWA. I have to say, from ALL the guns I've held, a Sig/KWA 226 is THE most comfortable, ergonomic gun, with all the features (mag catch, slide release, decocker) right where you want them. It is absolutely a joy to handle and fits like a glove. That is to say, all the guns I've bought are also really comfortable, but I've felt extremely comfortable using my friends M226. KWA has (I think) updated their 226 since then, and it now features all black-etched trade marks so perhaps you won't run into any problems.

In terms of accuracy and range, all KWA pistols with the NS2 system shoot fairly similar. I can hit soda cans with .25s at 80 feet, so you should have no trouble at hitting a man-sized target at 100 to even 125 feet. I use mine mostly for CQB, and they have outperformed most AEGs on the field.

#9 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

I own the M226 myself.  I love the thing.  Now what I would do is wait and hold off for a bit if you are really dead set on getting one. Considering the M226's are hard to find, wait til we get another shipment of M226's and these will be better than before!  I'm considering buying another one because mine is now going to be old outdated, it's a Gen 1 M226 haha.

#10 leks1075

leks1075

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

I too love my M226. My buddies own the 1911 MKII's, something17, ATP, and M9 tactical and I have shot all of them. I can say that I do not regret my purchase one bit. If you are a Sig fan you will not be disappointed.

I'll be honest and say that when I was looking into purchasing a pistol I was a bit weary of the M226 known problems.....but, i purchased it anyways. I have a GenII, and I ran into the same problem of "puffing". However, after fixing the problem w/ a 150% spring it's working like a champ.

Good luck on your decision.

Edited by leks1075, 24 August 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#11 Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

I always wanted a P226 PTP. I own the rs one. The PTP would be great to train with! I backed away from buying one due to the puffing. It may just be my next purchase!

#12 -farmBOY-

-farmBOY-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

All this has been great! I am fairly set on the M226. If I run into the puffing I'll just get the 150% spring. And like outlaw said I always have my warranty/support! Another couple questions :Iknow: ....... does anyone know when the updated M226 comes out (for sure) or if its already out? Is the black-etched trademarks the only update? By the way, more reviews on the pistols are still very welcome/wanted!

#13 -farmBOY-

-farmBOY-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

oops......one more question: How much kick can I expect out of the M226 or any of the PTPs for that matter? Are they all about the same? More or less than a real steel .22?

#14 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,651 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Here's my take and believe me I've spoken to A LOT of KWA employee's long and hard on the subject.  First, I own 2 PTP's the MKIV and the ATP.  For fun to shoot, solid in your hand realism I like the MKIV.  It kicks hard and is fun to shoot.  For the field I prefer the ATP because of it's no nonsense approach and simplicity.

Know, I would love to own a 226 and so long as you are not a lefty you may really like this gun.  But as Viet points out, it's going through upgrades and it might be best to wait to ensure you get the latest model.

If you are looking for a tried and true performer that has gone through the most enhancements over the years the choice is the M9.  It's a bit large for me personally but it is the most refined from a design standpoint, from it's inception, that KWA has in it's arsenal.

Lastly, two guns that are just fun to shoot are the USP Compact and the HK45.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Your best bet is to check them out at a local retailer and see what fits best in your hand and with your style of play.

Hope this helps!

#15 -farmBOY-

-farmBOY-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hmm......

Edited by -farmBOY-, 24 August 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#16 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,651 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Decisions, decisions.... :sigh:

#17 -farmBOY-

-farmBOY-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Well I'm torn!......I love the M9 and how it seems to have withstood the test of time. But as I've already explained, I'm obssesed with the M226. Still might be a while until I actually purchase a side arm(because I need some more mags for my LM4). So I've got some time to think about it.

#18 Slancevich

Slancevich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

I am the Manager of an airsfot store in New York and the pistol we get the least amount of complaints about (Out of everything we sell, not just KWA) is the KWA M9 PTP.  The Mag selection and versatility is also a big plus, a lot of people love the huge 48 round mag that you can slam into a M93R.  If you can't make it to a shop to hold A KWA PTP go to an actual gun store and ask to hold a 226 and M9...The KWA stuff is close enough that the real deal will give you an accurate idea of what the KWA version is like.  Like Outlaw was saying holding the device in your hands will almost certainly make up your mind for you.
I would not worry about durability or range or anything like that, your getting a good gun in the KWA PTP range no matter which of the two you choose, just take care it.

#19 -farmBOY-

-farmBOY-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the advice! Good idea with the gun store! :thumbsup:  Adressing my earlier question....Could someone give me a comparrison of the kick of the 226 or m9 compared to a .22 or something???? Because I have no idea what to expect.

#20 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

I've yet to find an airsoft pistol with the recoil of a .22LR on a full size frame.  Certainly neither my M9-PTP nor WE M92 have that much recoil.  Both recoil enough to slightly disturb the sight picture but don't compare to .22LR and certainly don't compare to a centerfire pistol.

I own or have owned nearly all the real versions of the KWA blow backs.  In the real pistol world the SIGs are second tier pistols in many respects, just like the Berettas due to their DA/SA design.  (At least you can get parts for the Beretta.)  DA/SA pistols are indisputably the most difficult to master and maintain skills with because of the excessive trigger weights in DA mode.  The airsoft versions don't have this issue (the DA trigger in my M9-PTP weighs 4.5 pounds) and can be deceiving.  I continue to look for a way to increase the trigger weight on my M9-PTP.

I understand the kool-factor as well as the practical-factor.  You can select an airsoft pistol based on either. ;)  If you're using an airsoft as a training tool for your current (or future) duty weapon it's probably best to get the same model to become totally used to the controls.  Look around in the real world.  The US military still has the Beretta M9 -- and will for years to come despite repetitive pistol trials -- and civilian police departments all seem to be carrying Glocks and M&Ps (both of which are very close to the ATP).  Very few folks carry SIGs (not even SEALS!) and probably fewer carry M1911s.

It's nice to have choices!

-- Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users