#1 killerimpulse

killerimpulse

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:saltwater fish tank and reef tanks, scuba, paintball, golf

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

Do i need to keep the gas tube on the my LM4? Im breaking down my Gn to swap hand guards and the tube is just a solid piece of metal. i was under the impression that this was a real gas tube and block served a purpose other then my iron sight.

If i pull the gas block and tube off will my Gn still work as it should? or does this silver gas tube and block needed to make the Gn cycle?

Thanks

#2 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

The gas tube just imitates the looks for added realism in the LM4. It's only for realism, as it does not do anything in terms of shooting wise. The gun will function when the gas tube is out, but the gas tube helps keep the springs in the delta ring align. It also helps keep the front sight straight and align with the flat top receiver.

#3 killerimpulse

killerimpulse

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

ok so by me changing out the plastic hand to a drop in rail the gas tube is not needed for function.
i ask this since the UTG PRO quad rail gas block does not fit all the way down. Its shorts about 1/2 and inch for the gas tube to get pinned to the gas block.

#4 Viet

Viet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

it's not needed.  I had to remove mine to install the madbull TRX rail on my LM4. if clearance of the sight is an issue, you also have the option of replacing the gas block with a low profile one, or you can simply cut off the sight and install the rail.

#5 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

killerimpulse, on 09 August 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

ok so by me changing out the plastic hand to a drop in rail the gas tube is not needed for function.
i ask this since the UTG PRO quad rail gas block does not fit all the way down. Its shorts about 1/2 and inch for the gas tube to get pinned to the gas block.
Are you sure you are installing the top piece of the rail upwards? Usually the top rail will have a little inlet, or cut out, that will fit around the gas tube. I'm thinking you may be installing the bottom piece (which doesn't have the gas tube inlet) on the top and the top piece on the bottom.

#6 killerimpulse

killerimpulse

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

Outlaw1995, on 09 August 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Are you sure you are installing the top piece of the rail upwards? Usually the top rail will have a little inlet, or cut out, that will fit around the gas tube. I'm thinking you may be installing the bottom piece (which doesn't have the gas tube inlet) on the top and the top piece on the bottom.

No, no, no. Its the gas block. I purchased an after market gas block (UTG quad rail gas block) Thinking it was like a real rifle and i needed to install a gas block to keep my M4 cycling.
So as i removed the sight gas block, being careful not to move or bend the gas tube. i installed the the new quad rail gas block. The block slid down very nicely till it could not go any further.  The gas tube inserted perfectly but was short about 1/2inch.  as i farted around with the block and gas tube, the gas tube pulled out ( add your best homer simpson yell, oh my god, oh no) till i looked at the other end and both were closed, just a solid pice of tubing. I looked like Ralphy on christmas story, Son of a b**ch, its fake!!! So my idea of a real gas tube crashed and i jump on here to confirm i thoughts.
Well, the gas block is gonna get RA back and i have send back my rail since its not the drop in version.

Thanks

#7 Rockhound117

Rockhound117

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, and airsoft!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

So it's too long and the gas block doesn't fit all the way down? Could you post a pic perhaps? If it's too long you could just cut it down.

#8 killerimpulse

killerimpulse

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Rockhound117, on 09 August 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

So it's too long and the gas block doesn't fit all the way down? Could you post a pic perhaps? If it's too long you could just cut it down.

i tried to post pics but every time i load a pic i get an error " the type of jpg is not permuted" so i gave up.
Anyway the gas tube is to short. The gas block goes down right to where the hand guard locking ring would be. But now that i know the gas tube is just for looks, im not worried about.
I was going nuts trying to find a nice gas block that would complete the rail.  Its a quirk for me. The rail just comes to an open end, that the barrel sticks out of.
I was trying to complete the rail some way with a nice gas block and keep the Gn cycling properly.
Now that i know its a facade, im not worry about it so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users