Could someone measure the length of the 2nd outer barrel?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'm on vacation right now so I can't measure it myself, I'm considering removing the 2nd portion of the outer barrel and replacing it with a "barrel extension" for an SD look. Figured I'd order one now so that it'd arrive right when I returned from vacation.

So if someone could, measure from where the 2nd piece begins to the end of the outer barrel. Let me know if you're going to the end of the flash hider or outer barrel.

Thanks guys!

#2 jonsun81

jonsun81

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

9 inches, my 9 inch vtac rail covers the a little of the threads

#3 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

9"? Surely not. It's a 10.5 barrel right up to the end of the front sight section. The extension akira speaks of is the screw on barrel section that extends forwards of the front sight assembly and terminates at the flashhider ... which should be in the neighborhood of 4" +/- given that these barrels are14.5" inches long.

#4 jonsun81

jonsun81

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

So i measured from flashider to where the outer barrel begins from receiver and got 9.5 inches.  the removable part is 5.5 inches :-)

#5 Jatodude

Jatodude

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

I recommend using a small extension on the first barrel segment, then add the suppressor on to that.

#6 jonsun81

jonsun81

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

My 9.28 vtac rail slightly covers the threads once the second piece is removed but added a buttload of oring spacers so that it'll extend out a bit.  

Thanks again for the reassurance corps on that rail!!

#7 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

View Postjonsun81, on 31 July 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

So i measured from flashider to where the outer barrel begins from receiver and got 9.5 inches.  the removable part is 5.5 inches :-)

Thanks for the measurements, unfortunately the supressor size that I could fit into the Noveske rail is too skinny for my taste. Though at least I now know how long of a extension and suppressor I'd need to at least get a SBR look that's close to an SD look.

#8 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

I had to remove the front sight off another rifle tonight which gave me a chance to measure the extension as well. The part where the extension begins is concealed by the front sight. From the beginning of the extension to the point at which the flashhider would be butted up against the barrel (i.e. not including the barrel threads) is approximately 4 inches and 14/16th of an inch (so almost 5 inches).

#9 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostuscmCorps, on 01 August 2012 - 02:26 AM, said:

I had to remove the front sight off another rifle tonight which gave me a chance to measure the extension as well. The part where the extension begins is concealed by the front sight. From the beginning of the extension to the point at which the flashhider would be butted up against the barrel (i.e. not including the barrel threads) is approximately 4 inches and 14/16th of an inch (so almost 5 inches).
Down to the 1/16" measuremeents! Love it! Why..because ish like that matters!im picky on stuff being just right and looking right too..that 1/16" could make it or break it for me..

Sent from my DROID2

#10 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

1/16" isn't that big of a deal to me. A measurement like Half an inch or more definitely matters though. The fact that this extension is around 5" vs 4" makes a huge difference since most barrel extensions are based on the notion that you're probably adding to a 10.5" (CQB length) barrel. The LM4C PTR for example is not simply the regular LM4 with the barrel extension removed. It will either be an LM4 barrel with a shortened barrel extension (like around 1-2"), or what is more likely: a dedicated LM4C barrel with no extension cut to exactly the correct length.

#11 jonsun81

jonsun81

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

Barrel is a total 15", fresh off kwas website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users