Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Upon cleaning my LM4 for extended storage, I noticed this awesomeness:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, a chunk is gone. Not sure how/when it happened, but it may explain the lowered performance I was seeing when I used it last weekend at a game. Guess I'll be picking up a Danco o-ring when I get back home in a few months.

Anyone know why this would happen?

#2 Jakeedaman21

Jakeedaman21

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

That and use more silicone!

#3 Jatodude

Jatodude

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

I can imagine that it was probably too dry.  I really think KWA should look into this, and release an official fix for this O-Ring.  It's caused problems for a lot of people.

#4 Nitemare

Nitemare

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

The o-ring looked fairly well lubed, especially on the bottom where I could see it better. I lubed it after every game.

The inside of the bolt carrier doesn't look like it had any rough spots that would have cut it either.

#5 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

That bolt and nozzle/oring looks bone dry..just my observation.

Sent from my DROID2

#6 jakattack1987

jakattack1987

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

im having the same problem and i really dont think its from lack of lubrication. i lubed my last one right before i shot it and it still happened. if it was a lube problem the piston would have trouble sliding you would feel resistence, every time i check it there is no resistence. the only time i can get resistence is when the ring is showing through the two openings in the bolt carrier and i push up on the bolt then it wants to grab the oring. also if it was  a lack of lubrication it would tear in different spots mine tears in the exact same spot. im wondering if a fully loaded mag is pushing the bolt up causing the o ring to catch on the bottome opening because that seems to be when it does it. ive even filed the edges of the bolt to make sure it wasnt from sharp edges. it seems to me that the o ring shold stay in the cylinder at all times instead of coming fully out. its getting really old though ive went through five orings since i have gotten this gun and pieces of the orings end up in the trigger group and start to jam stuff up

#7 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

View Postjakattack1987, on 28 July 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

im having the same problem and i really dont think its from lack of lubrication. i lubed my last one right before i shot it and it still happened. if it was a lube problem the piston would have trouble sliding you would feel resistence, every time i check it there is no resistence. the only time i can get resistence is when the ring is showing through the two openings in the bolt carrier and i push up on the bolt then it wants to grab the oring. also if it was  a lack of lubrication it would tear in different spots mine tears in the exact same spot. im wondering if a fully loaded mag is pushing the bolt up causing the o ring to catch on the bottome opening because that seems to be when it does it. ive even filed the edges of the bolt to make sure it wasnt from sharp edges. it seems to me that the o ring shold stay in the cylinder at all times instead of coming fully out. its getting really old though ive went through five orings since i have gotten this gun and pieces of the orings end up in the trigger group and start to jam stuff up
What orings are you using? I havent had that problem with my green orings from harbor freight. Shot about 20k rounds on this oring.

Sent from my DROID2

#8 jakattack1987

jakattack1987

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

thats the ones im using

#9 jakattack1987

jakattack1987

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

holy cow 20k rounds thats crazy u must shoot a lot lol

#10 Raptor72

Raptor72

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

I've got 12K and thought that was impressive.  Boobie shoots A LOT.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

#11 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

View Postjakattack1987, on 28 July 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

holy cow 20k rounds thats crazy u must shoot a lot lol
Yup..played every weekend since i got the lm4...and plus all the mods and testing even more rounds put thru it during the week.

Sent from my DROID2

#12 dino325

dino325

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Are these the Danco orings you guys are talking about?

http://www.harborfre...-kit-67644.html

#13 Raptor72

Raptor72

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:46 AM

Nope, this is: http://www.homedepot...ml#.UBfhGchYvYA

Danco #10s can be purchased at either Lowes or HD, thus easy to get.  The ones you are looking are similar to the set BoobieM4H uses, although I believe he purchased the larger boxed set.

Edited by Raptor72, 31 July 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#14 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

View Postdino325, on 31 July 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

Are these the Danco orings you guys are talking about?

http://www.harborfre...-kit-67644.html
These are the same exact kit i have and use..these orings are durable and make the best seal imo..haven't had any that didnt fit correctly.

Sent from my DROID2

#15 jakattack1987

jakattack1987

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

so i might have figured out my hop up and oring problem. initially i used the hnbr o ring u suggested boobie. the first one i used gave pretty good compression but got tore up same with the next one, and the next one. then i put one on and the compression was almost non existent, so i put the second biggest one in the set on and was back to decent compression, gun shot fine hop up was working pretty good but not as well as expected but close. its funny cause the last time i tried the second biggest o ring it wouldnt fit, i dont know if they shrunk a little since they are in my basement or what, i still dont think im getting enough compression though. i can block both piston holes and i feel a decent compression but i would think it should be quite hard to move with both holes completely blocked, i also have bbs dropping on full auto so that also tells me its probably not enough compression. how much compression are you guys getting with yours? i would think the piston should move very slow with proper compression no matter how much you force it, which would mean air is not easily escaping, i think with the rite compression my hop up problem will be solved and the guns accuracy should return, still not sure about the ring being torn.

#16 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

My compression with those orings are really good. Covering both holes its hard to compress the nozzle in or out. That is weird how your experiencing that. The nozzle should move freely..were the orings that got torn tight in the bolt?

Sent from my DROID2

#17 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

And if its making good compression then its gotta be the hop up unit that causing problems

Sent from my DROID2

#18 jakattack1987

jakattack1987

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

every ring i have tried has almost no compression until i put oil on it, and then it gets a little better but still pretty easy to move up and down.  so i took a small ring and a medium ring and put them both on there just to test, the small ring helps to lift the medium ring higher, it barely fit but the compression is perfect with all my force i can barely move it. the nozzle didnt slide very easily though so i figured it wouldnt work right but i tried it anyway and to my surprise the nozzle seems to shoot back everytime and full auto is no longer dropping bbs. i dont think it will last long before it shreds but we will see. i wonder if the danco #10 will provide this kind of compression since it is such a tight fit, if not i will find one that does. as for the shredding if it does keep doing it i will just file the beginning of the cylinder so it wont catch.

#19 jonsun81

jonsun81

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

After an op I had yesterday, took apart my gun to clean and walllah, I have a small knick on my oring!  I think dobey had a fix for this which was to shave the sharp edges of the bolt just before the cylinder to make it smoother as it goes back and forth.  Looks like its dremel time.

#20 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

View Postjonsun81, on 05 August 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

After an op I had yesterday, took apart my gun to clean and walllah, I have a small knick on my oring!  I think dobey had a fix for this which was to shave the sharp edges of the bolt just before the cylinder to make it smoother as it goes back and forth.  Looks like its dremel time.
Is this the oring i changed? I didnt use the hnbr oring..that was a nitrile oring..dremeling that edge could make it worsee if done wrong..so wierd..ive never had a chopped up oring...and its the same oring ive been using since i got the gun

Sent from my DROID2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users