• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thatstevecharacter

thatstevecharacter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

So I have had persistent issues with my KMP9R for quite a while now, none of which i attempted to fix myself until now (i'm finally comfortable tech-ing on my own gear).

SYMPTOMS:
Single fire: Inert mag, rack charging handle, fire: 1,2,3,4,Click...nothing. Rack charing handle again, fire: 1-nothing, nothing. Rack again, fire: nothing. Strip mag, Rack, Rack Rack, Insert mag, Rack, fire: 1-5 shots then nothing.

Auto: Insert mag, rack, fire: 3-5 round burst, 3-5 round burst, then nothing. I repeated the same steps as I did when it was on single fire, and it just will never fire consistently.

So I first experienced this issue over a year ago, and I just set it on a shelf and forgot about it. Then, I paid a friend who owns a tech shop $80 to fix it. His diagnosis, torn hop up rubber, and cracked cylinder. He said he replaced both and it shot 3 mags flawlessly.

I got it back, and it never shot 10 rounds before I experienced the SAME symptoms as always.

So this time i took it upon myself to fix it. I opened her up, and saw the cylinder was slightly chipped, the breech base spring attach point was busted, and that one of the cylinder return springs was chewed up. So i replaced the Cylinder, breech base, air seal, and return springs.

Just gassed her up, fired, and same issues. Anyone have any experience with this issue? or any tips on how to fix it? Or should I just sell her and be done with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:11 AM

Sounds like you have a broken hammer axle.  Unless you are technically skilled in GBB SMG repairs, I would jump on the help desk and start a trouble ticket for KWA factory repair.

#3 roguesqd

roguesqd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:16 AM

It may also be the disconnector spring.  As I had the same issue, and replaced this, and it works fine.  You can get it from the Pro Shop.  If it shows up 'out of stock', call KWA directly as they probably have the part.  So, you may want to get both parts, as the spring isn't that expensive

Part #162
Price: $2.50

Edited by roguesqd, 18 July 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#4 thatstevecharacter

thatstevecharacter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks guys, I talked with Allen from KWA yesterday and he said it sounds like the disconnector spring is weakened. Another post with a similar issue (the user said is KMP9 is now an expensive springer) said his hammer is wobbly. Mine feels solid, so it might not be that, but as it IS a known issue, i'm probably going to buy the part to have on hand. Thanks again!

#5 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,736 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

View Postthatstevecharacter, on 18 July 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Thanks guys, I talked with Allen from KWA yesterday and he said it sounds like the disconnector spring is weakened. Another post with a similar issue (the user said is KMP9 is now an expensive springer) said his hammer is wobbly. Mine feels solid, so it might not be that, but as it IS a known issue, i'm probably going to buy the part to have on hand. Thanks again!
It's definitely the disconnected spring.  Typically with the broken hammer axle not only is the hammer wobbly but it is very hard to charge the bolt.  Doesn't sound like you had that problem.  Not to confuse the issue, but when this happened to my gun, and several that I have fixed, it was because the spring needed to be stretched.  Not because is was weakened. I'm not saying it wouldn't cause the same issue, just not in the cases I've seen.  Regardless, replacing it should solve the problem.

#6 Claymore66

Claymore66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, working on guns, tinkering, Fly Fishing

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hey

Just before my hammer broke I was having a similar problem. I stretched the spring a few times until I replaced it with a little longer one.
One thing I notice before the Hamer axle completely sheared. On the return of the bolt if you put your hand on it as it was just about closed you could feel it bind on something. There is nothing in contact with the bolt but the bottom of it going back and forth across the hammer. A dollar to dounuts if you can feel it dragging on the close your hammer is getting ready to blow.

I had a chance to look at two MP9's on the weekend one brand new out of the box, bolt slides like ice. The other 4 months old gamed 8 to 10 times. Other than the the spring needing to be stretched.The bolt is starting to have a little bit of play in the hammer and a bit of friction
in the sliding bolt, even after a good cleaning.

Can someone in the know please post intructions to get at the hammer of the MP9

#7 Fox

Fox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Roughneck Airsoft Detachment

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostClaymore66, on 26 July 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Can someone in the know please post intructions to get at the hammer of the MP9

am in the same boat as you just need some instructions to get the metal box out to put a new hammer in.

#8 McDylanNuggets

McDylanNuggets

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

I have this exact issue with my Kmp9. I have sent it in for 3 repairs in two years and it just broke again yesterday. It fires fine with out any bbs in it but it will not fire more than once with bbs. It is ridiculous to repair the gun this often. It's a Kwa and it shouldn't break this often. I noticed the air nozzle return spring is broken

#9 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hi McDylanNuggets, are you using green gas or propane with your gun? And is the problem the cylinder return springs, or also the disconnecter spring? If it's the disconnecter spring, and you've been using propane, I'd think that would be the reason why the gun keeps breaking. Propane increases the amount of wear and tear parts have on each other, (due to harder blowback) and may be what's causing the spring to break.

If the gun is jamming, it'd be because of the cylinder return springs. Buy new ones and fit em on and you should be good to go.

#10 James1187

James1187

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

There is only a minor difference in pressure between propane and green gas, (5-10psi).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: KMP9, KMP9r, Issues, Wont fire, Firing problems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users