23 replies to this topic

#21 optimuskmg

optimuskmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

if your ever interested id love to throw one of my chrome ATP slide's on one of your custom frames.. think it would look amazing ;)

Edited by optimuskmg, 29 August 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#22 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

Thanks for the interest. I could probably do it. I've had people inquire before. Thing is it's pretty time consuming and requires a lot of work which isn't particularly evident until you hold the gun in your hands and feel just how much better the grip and ergonomics are, especially compared to the original out of the box condition. And while these are airsoft guns we're talking about, the techniques and labor involved is exactly the same as what a professional would do on a real polymer gun. I just don't think people would be interested in paying me what I'd ask for it. And I don't know if there's enough incentive there for me to do it with how little spare time I have. I'll have a think about it.

#23 optimuskmg

optimuskmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

well, good stuff anyway

#24 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Been a while. I figured I'd update this thread a little. A friend had asked me to do a stipple job on his gun and before doing that I had recently made a new stippling tip. So last night I tested it out on one of my spare beater ATPs that I often use as one of several backups for when I go to games.

Here's a side by side comparison to a more or less standard ATP.
• 10-8 Performance Rear sights.
• Finger groove removal.
• Frame recontouring.
• Trigger guard undercut, smoothed out, rounded, and stippled.
• 360° Grip stippling (Back strap is still removable and swappable with the smaller sized back strap).
• Forward Frame flats stippled.

As much as I liked the ATP, I've never been a big fan of some of the lower frame's patterning and general contouring. As most Glock owners will attest to, the finger grooves don't always fit every hand, which is why so many people remove those. I felt the same and removed them. While the OEM frame panels are very much reminiscent of the HK45 style, it always seemed out of place on the ATP to me so I essentially removed it and stippled the entire frame. The last thing that I wasn't crazy about is the scalloping of the frame where your index finger is supposed to rest when not in the trigger guard. I like my finger to rest in the ejection port the way Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn taught me. The Scalloping doesn't impede that, but it felt like a forced aesthetic feature whereas I preferred a smoother contour. So I smoothed and blended it out. Also, when stippling the back of the gun's frame, I have learned years back to not go too high on the back strap on real or airsoft guns as that tends to rub on the shooter's base thumb knuckle. I didn't enlarge the trigger guard much on this gun but I may do that in the future. Generally, I quite like the new stippling tip I made. It produces a slightly more recognizable pattern much like what BoreSight Solutions does on his guns. I hope you guys like this too.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

FYI, people have asked me to do stipple jobs on their guns in the past. If people are still interested, feel free to contact me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATP, Stipple, Grip, Frame, Sight, Nitesiters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users