23 replies to this topic

#1 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

I've become a big fan of the ATP recently. In large part because they're readily available now that Glocks are hard to come by here in the US, but also because it looks and feels a lot like my RS Glocks and M&Ps.

Here's a before and after I did for a friend's ATP who liked the stipple work I did on my other one:

Before:
Posted Image
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pics of my personal piece:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

One of my ATPs with OTG Glock holster and Glock mag pouch:

Posted Image

Worth noting, while this is a Glock holster, I have since discovered that holsters made for the S&W M&P 9mm are a perfect fit for the ATP. Perfect draw. Perfect retention. Not too tight. They're just right. Tested this in my various M&P kydex holsters including Raven Concealment, Kaluban Cloak/Griffon Industries, OTG, Spada Holsters. Worth mentioning, OTG now makes kydex mag pouches for airsoft Glock mags. They account for the slightly taller airsoft BB feedlips and are universally compatible with KSC/KWA/TM/HK3P/WE Glock mags. The above picture is for RS Glock mags, hence why the fit isn't perfect.

I've stippled the frame and mag base pad for better gun manipulation control. Also added some rubber grip tape to the rear of the slide: I've always been taught when reholstering (Glock's, M&P's etc) you should have your thumb at the back of the slide pushing it forwards to ensure that the slide remains in battery. The rubber grip tape works as an index point and prevent your thumb from slipping in wet conditions.

Since taking these pics I've blacked out the engravings on the slide (masked off the slide only exposing the sides and a few quick and light layers of Krylon Matte Black).

My gun gets pretty dirty during some practice games. Going urban prone a few times with the ATP in my holster on my hip. By the end of the day, the gun was basically unusable from all the dirt. But that was all me. Took the time to clean up my ATP (one thing I love about cleaning airsoft guns ... no carbon to clean up). Used gun cleaner followed by some EWL for lube. Will probably use GHK silcone oil in the future once I get some.

Did a couple other quick upgrades. The first was installing a KM tight bore barrel I picked up during my last trip to HK. The second was installing some Nitesiters.

Nitesiters.com

This video is really just to illustrate the effectiveness of Nitesiters. They're not a replacement for Tritium Night Sights (like on my S&W M&P), and you do have to charge them up briefly with a bright flashlight or UV flashlight, but they're brighter and stay bright longer than most other options such as glow paint, etc.

For just $12, you get 8 Nitesiter dots. They're easy to apply (come with simple instructions and everything you need). The Nitesiter dots fit perfectly into the recesses of the white dots of the irons. On some guns I have had to add super glue around the edge of the dot (something they recommend if you have problems with the dots coming off), but I suspect I won't have to since these Nitesiters sit really deeply in the recesses.

Sadly the KM tightbore barrel didn't appear to improve accuracy or range. :(

Overall really happy with this gun so far.

Edited by uscmCorps, 30 August 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#2 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Nice pics.  Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

#3 Adamasatp

Adamasatp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Nice idea with the stick on dots I have been trying to figure out what real steel pistol sights could be modded to get tritium ones on the ATP but every time I have time to myself at the range I work at something comes up so I get side tracked. I will def be trying it, do want tritiums on  there soon though since I havent had much luck with the charge up glow stuf lasting for me. Going to stipple my ATP after this weekends team meeting and practice after I run it threw its paces(first ATP I had the stipple job went on first then it died and it couldnt get back on its feet so this time I want to make sure the gun works before I put the time in. Nice looking job you did, mind telling how you got the pattern? Looks like you did the heated up brillow pad tech but cant tell. I have been playing with different dremiled tip shapes to get custom patterns.

#4 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

I made my own stipple tip using a modified screw head. I basically used this tutorial:
http://www.ar15.com/..._Tutorial_.html

Stippling is pretty easy to do. Recontouring the frame (removing finger grooves, grip reduction, trigger guard reshaping) is what takes a lot more time. Here's a Glock I did recently:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Adamasatp

Adamasatp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Nice Glock yeah I love doing it to my real steels. Gonna have to test the screw idea out. I normally reprofile the tip of the tool since you can get extra ones. Gonna have to beat up my ATP and if it works as good as it should Ill have to post up the stipple job I do on mine just dont want to do it and get screwed again with a nonfunctional ATP lol.

Edited by Adamasatp, 13 July 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#6 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't know if I have the balls to do it to my real guns. If I mess up the frame on my airsoft guns, it's not the end of the world. Mess it up on a RS gun ... might as well go to the FFL and get a new gun (or send it to somewhere to be fixed). I had my RS Glocks and M&P's stippled by professionals (BoreSightSolutions and Cold Bore Customs). I was well pleased with their work.

That said, I've done over a dozen stipple jobs like the above ones now. Maybe someday when I get another RS handgun I'll give it a go now that I'm more comfortable doing these. :)

#7 Adamasatp

Adamasatp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yeah getting the balls to do it is half the battle. I practiced on my womans glocks lol before I did my glock and FN tactical 45. Now if KWA would make a PTP version of the Tactical 45 id sh*t bricks and buy a dozen

#8 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

Recently, on my KSC M17 I installed a RS Vickers mag catch, Vickers enhanced slide release and 10-8 Performance sights. I was really impressed by the Vicker slide release and during the M17 install, it occurred to me that I could get another one to install into one of my ATPs. I did that tonight and I'm really satisfied with the results.

RS Vickers Enhanced Slide Release:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And like I said before, the ATP works well in a RS M17 holster, but especially well in M&P 9mm holsters.
RS OTG Concepts Glock 9mm holster:
Posted Image

RS Raven Concealment M&P 9mm holster:
Posted Image

One more with a KWA/KSC M17:
Posted Image

Edited by uscmCorps, 20 July 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#9 Adamasatp

Adamasatp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Very sexy. You know if the rear sights from the Glock will fit the ATP? Been trying to figure out what will fit. I know the fronts wont since they are slotted slide ins. But the range I work at never has any night sights in stock we always order them and do drop shipping so I cant tinker lol

#10 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'm dying to find out myself. I'll test the 10-8 rear sight when I get a chance and report back. I'm also really curious about the front sight. Even though it is a slotted dovetail, I'm wondering if it would be possible to machine down the front sight to the dovetail, drill a hole and install a RS Glock sight.

#11 Adamasatp

Adamasatp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

I have heard from some people that a real steel model pistol has basically the same size front fins with some light filing it will fit but the SOB wont tell me what model he used and I think I would feel stupid going into another gun store and asking to test them all out lol
Might have to snatch that slide release idea off of you though. Vickers cant go wrong

#12 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

With a little experimenting of various spare RS sights I had ... A RS Glock rear sight will fit the ATP. For the front sight, a RS M&P front sight will fit the ATP's front sight dovetail channel. Both will need a little shimming and a dab of super glue but will work. A RS M&P rear sight will not work since it's dovetail channel is much wider on the M&P and is positioned more forwards on the M&P. A RS Glock front sight might work but would require a lot of modifications to the slide whereas the M&P front sight drops right in.

#13 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

Pics of the 10-8 Performance Glock sight on my ATP:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I've chosen to leave the stock ATP front sight on the gun for now. It works fine and the rear sight was the biggest thing affecting my sight picture. Quite pleased with these mods so far.

Edited by uscmCorps, 05 August 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#14 Adamasatp

Adamasatp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Looks sexy as hell Ill have to test out there glow night sights.

#15 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Here are some pics of my most recent ATP stipple job (this is my third one now):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Slide Modifications:
- Replaced the OEM rear sights with 10-8 Performance Glock Rear Sights
- The front sight is the OEM front sight but with NiteSiters Glow in the dark dot installed for low/no light
- Painted out the frame engravings.
- Rubberized 3M Grip Tape on rear of the slide to enhance reholstering and for practicing CQC drills

Heavy frame modification:
- 360° Frame stippling (back strap is still removable). Includes undercut/radius of trigger guard and beavertail areas for a more comfortable / higher grip on the gun, closer to the bore axis.
- Trigger guard modification, where the bottom edges of the trigger guard are fully-radiused and polished blending into the grip. Trigger guard is then stippled.
- Internal opening of trigger guard is enlarged to allow easy entry/egress of trigger finger; opening is polished to eliminate resistance/friction on trigger finger.
- Stippled forward frame flats.
- Removed finger grooves from front-strap.
- Smoothed the tang where the webbing between the thumb and index finger contacts the frame
- Vickers Tactical Slide Stop/Slide Release
- Polished the trigger job for smoother action
- Recessed and smoothed out the area around the mag release button for a cleaner and easier press
- Stippled base pads

Added SureFire X300

Standard internal upgrades per most KSC/KWA Glocks.

Edited by uscmCorps, 28 August 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#16 optimuskmg

optimuskmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

love your stipples dude. they allways look great! keep up the good work

#17 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

View Postoptimuskmg, on 28 August 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

love your stipples dude. they allways look great! keep up the good work
Thanks!!! It's a lot of work to do one since I'm a bit of a perfectionist (6-8+ hours). After dremeling and filing, I go from 60 grit gradually up to 1200 grit sandpaper for a 100% polish finish. And all that is even before I start the stippling which only takes 30% of the overall time put into one of these jobs. The stippling is actually a lot easier than the reshaping of the frame. But well worth it for the end result. :)

#18 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostuscmCorps, on 28 August 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

Thanks!!! It's a lot of work to do one since I'm a bit of a perfectionist (6-8+ hours). After dremeling and filing, I go from 60 grit gradually up to 1200 grit sandpaper for a 100% polish finish. And all that is even before I start the stippling which only takes 30% of the overall time put into one of these jobs. The stippling is actually a lot easier than the reshaping of the frame. But well worth it for the end result. :)
And I'm sure your purchase on the gun is superb. Never felt a "strippled" gun but I'm sure that thing is a work of art in person, and that those photos don't do it justice! How are you liking the SF x300 though? Planning on getting one for my MK 2 PTP...

Edited by Outlaw1995, 28 August 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#19 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

Thanks. The stippling feels essentially like skateboard grip tape. Gives you lots of surface area and grip when you need it. The good part is that it's permanent, so unlike grip tape which will eventually peel off, the stippling is there to stay. I actually get more personal appreciation out of the frame reshaping. To me, Glock's (and similarly ATP's) are not the most ergonomic in the area that transitions from trigger guard to grip. It's kinda boxy there and after a long period of working with the guns in various ready positions it just seemed to me a little revision similar to what my real Glocks and M&Ps have had done to them would be beneficial.

As for the x300, I like them a lot. I have x300s on a few of my airsoft pistols and all my real steel handguns. They work well for me and how I shoot and use lights in low/no light.

#20 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:27 AM

View PostuscmCorps, on 28 August 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

Thanks. The stippling feels essentially like skateboard grip tape. Gives you lots of surface area and grip when you need it. The good part is that it's permanent, so unlike grip tape which will eventually peel off, the stippling is there to stay. I actually get more personal appreciation out of the frame reshaping. To me, Glock's (and similarly ATP's) are not the most ergonomic in the area that transitions from trigger guard to grip. It's kinda boxy there and after a long period of working with the guns in various ready positions it just seemed to me a little revision similar to what my real Glocks and M&Ps have had done to them would be beneficial.

As for the x300, I like them a lot. I have x300s on a few of my airsoft pistols and all my real steel handguns. They work well for me and how I shoot and use lights in low/no light.
Thanks for the report. I'd want to try to make stipplings on a gun (maybe a glock?) someday. I'm not a fan of skateboard tape, Or those grip tape sleeves, y'know the one Hickok45 uses on his glocks? (Talon grips I believe they are called) Since like you say it eventually peels off and leaves that residue...Not a match for Goo Gone, but the stipplings do make the gun have 'flair'. And thanks for your input on the x300...Makes me want to throw money at SureFire even more. LOL

Edited by Outlaw1995, 29 August 2012 - 06:27 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATP, Stipple, Grip, Frame, Sight, Nitesiters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users