28 replies to this topic

#21 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

Can't believe you have a DBAL on you're LM4, that's insane haha. Anyways your gun is damn beautiful.

#22 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

That's bud!

#23 -wigs-

-wigs-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Always enjoy your guns, I was thinking of doing the same thing for an ambi selector. Anyway you could post or pm me pics of what you did to the existing selector.

Edited by -wigs-, 20 October 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#24 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

Don't have any pics and I've thread locked the parts in place. But here's a description of what I did:
The KAC right side ambi selector has a raised portion on its inner face. Basically, I pulled out the OEM selector, figured out the width of the groove needed to be cut into it to interface with the corresponding ambi selector's raised piece. Cut the groove into the OEM selector using my mill (could have used a file or a dremelout then cleaned up the groove with a file). Tested the fit. The KAC ambi selector piece has a recessed hole for the hex screw to attach it to the main selector. During the test fit, I could see exactly where the hole needed to be drilled and tapped in the original selector to attach the two pieces together. Marked that spot, drilled the hole, tapped it, and voila! Done.

Something to note, a few different RS companies make standard style ambi selectors such as LMT and KAC. Now, that said, the grooves and screw hole isn't always the same between these brands. Some brands have the screw hole dead center, some are off center. When you get the ambi selector you need to cut the groove into the original selector first and get those two interlocking properly before you even think about the screw hole.

Hope that helps.

#25 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:16 AM

Since my 5.56mm M4 Carbine only has the selector on the left side I prefer my LM4-PTR to be the same.  Did I mention "train as you fight?"  :)

If you only play airsoft it doesn't matter, of course...

-- Chuck

#26 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

Uh, yeah. If you have ambi selectors on your real guns and that is how you work your manual of arms, you'd probably want them on your LM4 as well. If you don't use them then its a non-issue. Same goes for all the other accessories you put on your real gun. All my 5.56mm carbines have KAC ambi selectors on them. So in this case, YES my training tool mimics my real guns as closely as I can make it. <_<

More than a selector, I wish we had more options for LM4 triggers and trigger pulls. The LM4 trigger feels like a two stage which has potential to be nice. However, when you squeeze through the first stage but do not follow through to the second stage, the first stage will not reset itself. This can be a bit annoying/distracting to seasoned shooters who are familiar with the sensation of tacking up the slack before the trigger break. This is something that I'd like to see addressed in future versions of the LM4 design.

Also, I run Geisselle (S3G) triggers in all my real ARs. I can pull and reset the trigger faster on my real ARs. That has more to do with the speed of the LM 4 bolt cycling than anything, so perhaps someday we'll see lighter bolts that return to battery quicker.

#27 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Roger on the Geisselle trigger!

My LM4 trigger does not reset the first stage as you note.  I'm thinking of a more robust trigger spring.  Gotta admit I've not weighed my LM4 trigger, but it feels pretty light.

-- Chuck

#28 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

The LM4 is more like a two stage trigger than a GI single stage trigger. My Geissele S3G trigger is a constant 3.5 lb pull (it basically feels like a super smooth single stage). It's light with a short reset. I still have (but don't use anymore) the Geissele SSA, which is their premium 4.5 lb two stage (2.5 lb on the first stage, and 2 lbs on the second stage). One of these days I'd very much like to pull the LM4 trigger out of the gun and see what I can do about taking the creep/grit out of the trigger and figure out a way to have that first stage reset. If I can get that LM4 trigger to feel the same as my RS trigger it'd be fantastic.

Maybe I'll bring a couple RS lowers with me next time I have a meeting at KWA to illustrate this point.

#29 Grant August Uhrich

Grant August Uhrich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Attached File  lm4left.jpg   152.68K   24 downloadsI know this is an old thread but I really like the latest picture that you posted the ones with the Pmags in it. I was wondering if you could tell me what the barrel length is. I am building a real steel rifle with a 14.5" Noveske N4 Lite barrel and I was wondering if the Midwest Industires would get as close to the compensator as you have it on this Airsoft rifle. Thanks for any info you can give me. . .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: charging handle, ambi, selector, LM4, RS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users