29 replies to this topic

#21 Raptor72

Raptor72

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Boobie, I love your bolt catch mod on youtube.  My m4 was just starting to have issue, not often...just enough to piss me off.  I ended up bending the arm on the release and took out the detent spring and pin.  No grinding just did those two mods and holy sh#! what a difference.  Locks back with authority now  Love it, thanks Boobie.

Note, you do not have to bend the release arm much, you can always bend it more later.

Boobie's vid:  

#22 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostRaptor72, on 24 July 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

Boobie, I love your bolt catch mod on youtube.  My m4 was just starting to have issue, not often...just enough to piss me off.  I ended up bending the arm on the release and took out the detent spring and pin.  No grinding just did those two mods and holy sh#! what a difference.  Locks back with authority now  Love it, thanks Boobie.

Note, you do not have to bend the release arm much, you can always bend it more later.

Boobie's vid:  
Awesome!.so did you install a spring to release the bolt catch as well? The spring would go under the ping pong paddle bottom of bolt catch.

Sent from my DROID2

#23 Raptor72

Raptor72

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

No, didnt need it. I took your mods and did them one at a time until it worked perfectly.  Works GREAT without the spring.  Couldn't be happier.

Man, it catches so "hard" now.

#24 TheSneak

TheSneak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

Update on my situation, Ordered two more standard stock mags and they both work as well as the original. The only mags with issues are still the Pmags. But I have isolated the issue in my case somewhat, it seems that when resting the gun on its mag while shooting (usually from a prone position) the bolt wouldn't lock back, so I tried pushing different directions while firing the mag empty. Forward kept the bolt from locking and back would almost always lock the bolt back. Seems that the Pmag style is slightly looser in the receiver.

#25 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostRaptor72, on 24 July 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

No, didnt need it. I took your mods and did them one at a time until it worked perfectly.  Works GREAT without the spring.  Couldn't be happier.

Man, it catches so "hard" now.

Interesting...can you also return the bolt home by pulling the charging handle?

#26 Raptor72

Raptor72

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

no, force of the bent bolt catch arm on the mag button ensure the bolt is caught.  The only issue I have come up with if the gun held on its left side while firing the catch can sometime activate due to gravity.  This is why Boobie but that small return spring on the bottom of the paddle mechanism.  I have already drilled the hold and will put a spring in this evening.  

It really is a great mod.

#27 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Just did the modification as well, though I also did some minute shaving to make the catch engage more of the bolt. I have to agree that it does engage a lot better now. I'll definitely have to install the spring on the back of the paddle, as the bolt sometime engages with the recoil.

Update: So after getting my a** off of the couch I drilled out the plunger to place the spring. When I was removing it again to drill it a little more the spring went flying *face palm* Thank God my wife isn't home or she'd be laughing her a** off at me (I always lose springs).

Edited by akiraspeedstar, 10 August 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#28 uscmCorps

uscmCorps

Magpul PTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

Akira, get a strong magnet and attach it to the end of a stick/pole (I often have a magnet zip-tied to the end of a long bastard file). Run the magnet about an inch or less over the ground in possible areas the spring might have gone. You might get lucky and pick it up. Also works great on carpet where small screws, pins and springs can get lost. You'd be surprised how well it works. I've found a lot of small items my eyes didn't spot on their own.

#29 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

Yeah what I did was grab my magnet work mat and a dragged it across the floor. Found the spring far away from where I thought it went haha.

#30 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

I use a magnetic tray like the ones mechanics use when working on guns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users