8 replies to this topic

#1 ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

Hey, all!

Alright, as the title asks, why doesn't KWA make 1911 double stack mags? I'm curious as to what the reasoning behind this is (sorry if I missed an announcement saying that they are going to release one... I searched and didn't really see anything). Is it to make it more realistic?

So... Are there any plans for 1911 double stack mags in the future? I'm looking forward to the release of the 1911A1 U.S. Army, and think it would be nice to have double stack mags for it :)

Thanks!

P.S. Is there any word on whether the 1911A1 will have correct trademarks? I've read that older ones didn't, but not sure.

#2 greatwatermelon

greatwatermelon

I Break GUNS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Y U NO Make Double Stack Mags :P

If you compare the sizes of the 1911 magazines to magazines that are double stacked like the ATP and USP series, the magazine thickness is quite different.

It probably is possible to widen the channel on the 1911 magazine to have a double stack, but there's more than just having a chamber for BB's. The manufacturer's designer needs to account for the compartment for the gas, and how the actual walls of the magazine is.

Widening the channel could possibly compromise the amount of gas that could stored, the gas efficiency or the durability of the magazine itself.

#3 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

Also, don't forget this adds to the realism factor. The real 1911, doesn't have big of a capacity either.
What doesn't help is the huge price tag for the KWA 1911 mags, now that's what needs an explanation!

#4 Huntsman82

Huntsman82

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Rock Climbing, RS Shooting and Tactics Courses

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

I agree about the realism aspects. I also feel that if you need more than 13 rds to get the job done then you might want to look at a g18c with a 50 rd mag :)

#5 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,720 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostElectroPulse, on 10 July 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Hey, all!

Alright, as the title asks, why doesn't KWA make 1911 double stack mags? I'm curious as to what the reasoning behind this is (sorry if I missed an announcement saying that they are going to release one... I searched and didn't really see anything). Is it to make it more realistic?

So... Are there any plans for 1911 double stack mags in the future? I'm looking forward to the release of the 1911A1 U.S. Army, and think it would be nice to have double stack mags for it :)

Thanks!

P.S. Is there any word on whether the 1911A1 will have correct trademarks? I've read that older ones didn't, but not sure.
KWA made a 1911 PTP variant for the US market with double stack mags.  And several are still available in the European market. These redesigned pistols were slated for the US but I have not heard of an update recently.  These where under the "Formula" series of pistols modeled after STI I believe.

#6 greatwatermelon

greatwatermelon

I Break GUNS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Yep. KWA had the 1911DS PTP

KSC has the 2011 STI's... it's called 2011 or 1911... one of the two I believe...

#7 ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Hmm... I hadn't known the double stack mags were a different size (haven't really handled more than one or two GBBs, let alone compared them). That makes sense that they'd need to change the gas chamber size to fire more BBs.

@Huntsman82: I was thinking of pistol-only CQB :)

Well, I still look forward to the M1911A1 US Army, double stack mags or not :)

Btw, has there been an update on the release of the M1911A1 US Army?

Edited by ElectroPulse, 17 July 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#8 that guy with the m4

that guy with the m4

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

View Postgreatwatermelon, on 10 July 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Yep. KWA had the 1911DS PTP

KSC has the 2011 STI's... it's called 2011 or 1911... one of the two I believe...
in fact i have the 1911 Ds ptp and i love it

#9 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

The KWA 1911-mark series already holds twice the rounds a real M1911 holds (I don't trust 8-round M1911 magazines).  .45ACP pistols are pretty low capacity compared to 9mm pistols.  When I take training courses with my real M1911s I take a dozen magazines and will have six on my belt for mag changes.  The limited capacity of real pistols should be a clue to their personal defense or extreme close-quarters use.  "Transition to your pistol" is a SHTF scenario!  :)

-- Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users