What type of brand/weight of silicone oil reccomended?

silicone oil brand weight recommendations lm4 ptr

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GrandWizzle

GrandWizzle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

Hi! I have recently purchased the KWA LM4 PTR and I am extremely happy. I looked in the box before I purchased it and everything seemed fine. When I got home, I looked in the the manual and it said all the items that were suppose to be in the box. I was missing the oil and the sight adjustment tool. I heard some people had these missing too for some reason.
I didn't really mind this, but I am wondering what type of silicone oil to buy and what weight? I did a quick browse while at the nearest hobby store and I purchased a bottle. The grand is by Factory Team - Silicone shock fluid. 42.5w(Is that too much?) 538 cst. 59 mL. I did not use it yet.
Posted ImageI basically purchased this exact one except the weight is 42.5, BUT DID NOT USE IT YET,

I've done research but many people say use 10w, 20w, 60w, I don't know what source to rely on. This is also my first GBBR, so I am still learning how to clean and maintain them.

Couple questions:
What weight of silicone oil do I need to maintain this gun well?(Some people use 2 types, for different parts, for example a 30 for the internals and a 10 for the magazine? I'm totally lost about that)

Any brand recommendations, stores, etc?

How often do I need to lubricate the gun?(After a skirmish? After a couple magazines in and out?)

If I leave the gun alone for a while, not shooting it for a couple weeks, do I still need to oil the internals between that time period?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just new at GBBR's, and this is my first KWA weapon, so I do not want to end up breaking it.

Thanks!

-Steven

#2 Jatodude

Jatodude

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

I've had my LM4 for about a month and a half now, and here's what I've found, and what I'm doing to maintain the gun.

I use propane, and I'm still using the silicon oil that came with the propane adapter I bought. I'm pretty sure the accepted lube is 30wt RC shock oil. Speaking of, the pictured brand is actually Team Associated, I'm just chiming in on that since I used to race RC for a few years.

When filling the mags, every few fills I put silicon oil into the fill valve on the magazine.  That would probably be equivalent to the 30wt oil.  Also, I put a drop of silicon oil on the hammer roller, and on the piston where it's indicated in the manual.  Also, I'd recommend lubricating the piston O-Ring before every use (Part number 191) because a lot of people including myself have experienced compression loss due to that part.  That's all I do for lubrication, and it's gotten me past 5,000 rounds just fine.

Cleaning the gun isn't something I've seen many people discuss on here, but for me Q-Tips have worked extremely well.  I wipe down the inside of the mag well, some of the parts in the trigger mech, the bolt release/catch, the buffer tube, and in the underside of the charging handle.  I found a lot of build up of residue in that part.

Lastly it's important that you keep the barrel clean, because you'll see a lot more build up of residue, for lack of a better word, inside there.  Just use the cleaning rod, and be careful not to mess up your hop-up bucking.

I lubricate the gun when it sits for a little while just before use, and I clean it after every major use.  That's worked well for me.

Edited by Jatodude, 04 July 2012 - 01:23 AM.

#3 Rockhound117

Rockhound117

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, and airsoft!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

I like to use 25wt of that same brand silicone oil and do everything in the above mentioned post.

#4 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

Answering your questions in red...
What weight of silicone oil do I need to maintain this gun well?(Some people use 2 types, for different parts, for example a 30 for the internals and a 10 for the magazine? I'm totally lost about that) I've seen people use 20 wt all the way to 30 wt... I've never seen or heard someone sung 42.5 wt. It seems too heavy/ too thick and may gunk up your nozzle too much to the point that it may get stuck between the two receivers mid cycle.

Any brand recommendations, stores, etc? I like to always use the silicon oil KWA provides first. Since the LM4 didn't come with a bottle, a lot of people like to use GHK-- I know a few members on this forum use that. Some use the provided silicon oil that comes with their AI propane adapter.

How often do I need to lubricate the gun?(After a skirmish? After a couple magazines in and out?) I've used my gun 20 mags straight without needing to lubricate. I was using green gas. Your mileage may vary if you are using propane. Green gas is lubricate your gun automatically, but I'd suggest after around 10 mags you should go in, wipe down, and re-lube.

If I leave the gun alone for a while, not shooting it for a couple weeks, do I still need to oil the internals between that time period? It really depends on what kind of conditions you are leaving your gun in. If you are leaving it in a dry, temperature controlled room, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it gets wet, or really hot, you may want to, periodically, just wipe down and re-lube. And by periodically, I mean like a month or so... it is built to last, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

#5 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

Welcome to the forum, I recommend 30 Wt shock oil. I lubricate my gun after every field game. If you leave your gun for a few weeks, make sure you don't leave the bolt locked back, and when you come back to it, relube it.

#6 Carny

Carny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Psychology, MILSIM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

I came from running the WE CB system, so I always lube the entire exterior of the bolt, and all high wear spots with 30 wt shock oil, but then I ran co2.  

The manual says the o-ring, and the hammer roller, so that's what I'd do if I were you.  I use team losi 30 wt because that's what's easily available here.

#7 MountainCommand

MountainCommand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies that make pockets light.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

I use a 25wt oil on all of my gas guns. Definately buy the RC specific shock oils if you can because they are far cheaper than any airsoft branded oil. Looks for brands such as traxxas, AE (team associated), trinity, losi, and a few others you may come across.

The weight is like the viscocity. In rc they use different weights to change the rate of compression in the shocks. Heavier wt oil means a harder shock. Less wt oil means softer suspension. Using this principle, we in airsoft use light oil for parts that have close tolerances (nozzle assembly and o ring, almost all the parts in the magazine, trigger group, and springs. Personally i may use a thicker weight oil such as 60-80wt specifically on the bolt since it come in contact in bigger patches of surface area.

But for right now i use 25wt for everything and it does great! Remember oil does 2 basic things (IMO), it helps to keep parts moving smoothly. It also keeps the dirt in the oil, so it doesnt ruin the finely machined parts. This is why it is important to wipe away old oil and clean it all off before applying new oil. You wouldnt wax a dirty car would you? Same idea.

#8 Jakeedaman21

Jakeedaman21

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I tested both 70w and 30w (as well as graphite dry powder and realsteel CLP). It wouldn't cycle easily with 70w, it was just to viscous and the parts were sluggish. The 30 weight worked perfectly.

On a side note, graphite powder does not work, only keeping it lubricated for about 3 mags before the powder floats away.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: silicone, oil, brand, weight, recommendations, lm4 ptr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users