9 replies to this topic

#1 diescheize11

diescheize11

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Just curious on this tip I came across on improved feeding. What exactly do you polish? What part of the feed lips? Inner points that contact the bb? Can you do this by hand with emry cloth, or would using a dremel(to polish of course) be better. Occasionally I get a double feed. Not really a problem at all but would be good to know.

"If you want a cheap accuracy upgrade, try rounding or polishing the feed lips on your magazine. That in itself will boost the feed and flight." -Spiggy

From this thread: http://kwausa.com/fo...?showtopic=1842

#2 diescheize11

diescheize11

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, I thought making a new thread was stupid too, but I was sorta made to, SO it woulda been better in an oldish thread...

It was more like an informal/casual question that I was curious on.

Edited by diescheize11, 15 June 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#3 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Answering part of your question, when the bbs feed up into the feed lips, sometimes the metal feed lips are sharp and cut/deform the bb. It also gives more resistance when the gas nozzle comes in to load it into the chamber. When the deformed/ scratched bb is shot from out of the barrel, gas can escape in little pockets the bb has cuts or deformations in, therefore, reducing optimal fps. It would also decrease your accuracy if a deformed bb was shot out of your barrel. It increases chances of scratching your barrel as well.

By lightly polishing your feed lips, you can remove the sharp edges of the feed lips, reducing the amount of scratched or deformed bbs going into your barrel. Instead of bbs being pushed by the nozzle, think of it as bbs will flow from the feed lips to your chamber, almost effortlessly, because the feed lips don't provide such a sharp resistance against the bb once you polish the feed lips-- therefore boosting feed and flight.

In terms of what to polish, I'm not the end all expert at this stuff, but when I bought my MP7 used, I noticed the feed lips were a little too small to effortlessly put bbs into stacking position. So I took some sandpaper-- you probably want to use very fine grit sandpaper, took the magazine apart, and just polished the feed lips. Around the circumference, and around the edges. Be sure to take your feed lips completely apart from the magazine, as you don't want paint or other debris getting into the bb follower and other places. When your done, soak it in some soapy water just to clean the feed lips, and let it dry. Reattach to your magazine and hopefully you will increase feeding, flight, accuracy, etc.

#4 diescheize11

diescheize11

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

I know exactly what resistance you are talking about, and I never thought that could be an issue. I'm for sure gonna do this, I got an .01 barrel on the way and can see howthat could definitely improve performance. To remove the feed lips, it looks like you just punch out the 2 top pins. Cool, I hope I see more consistent shots. Right now, I'll have a flyer in about 1 in 5 so, Cool. Thanks a bunch outlaw.

#5 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Before you remove the feed lips, be sure to remove the base plate, the spring, the bb follower, and the nub that keeps the base plate on. That way, when you tap out the two pins that keep the feed lips on, things won't spring out due to tension from the spring.

#6 diescheize11

diescheize11

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Roger that. Thanks for the heads up.

#7 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

No problem man! :)

#8 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

The major reason for testing the metal feed lips on your magazines is mainly because of the variety of brands of bbs on the market.  Some are made to spec for larger bore diameters and as thus are too large to pass through without getting chewed on by the action.  Unfortunately some are very cheap, easy to get, and come from companies that don't make guns.

I'll always suggest trying different ammunition before you start modifying your gun.  Some problems are easily fixed by just changing your bbs.

By the way if you want to bring stuff to my attention, you can use the PM feature.  I don't always answer in a timely fashion but I do read everything.

#9 diescheize11

diescheize11

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

Whoa I didn't know there was a PM feature on this site. I most definitely would have used it in this instance. As for the bbs, I might make a permanent switch to KSCs, just because of their reported smaller diameter. Well see though, after I install this barrel. Cheers -Joe

#10 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Ok,  I'm going to lock this thread.

For future reference if you guys ever have any questions you'd like to personally address to any member, staff, or fellow airsofters. Feel free to use the PM function.  This will help notify the addressee and log any discussions for future reference.

Likewise, any KWA questions and comments can be brought directly to KWA through the KWA Help Desk.  We would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks for reading, and good night!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users