• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 devil69

devil69

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Mainly firearms, firearm replica's, military, law enforcement, PMC/PSC, video games

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

My LM4 will be here Friday, I wont touch it till Saturday morning, and that will be briefly. I'm going up to a local field Sunday for some field time but, I wont be using my LM4 until I can get it stripped down and thoroughly checked, cleaned, and oiled up. So that won't be until after the game when I can get back to my wholesalers shop and use his tools.

My question is not just for me, but for others who purchase the gun and want to make sure she's perfect before use. What are somethings I should look for and check on, areas that need more cleaning and such. Should I use both spray and liquid silicone? What are common areas items that there has been "gunk" that needs cleaned up?

I ask because I want to do everything I can to keep it as well maintained as humanly possible.

Ghost Security Force;
Devil

#2 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

Just do the regular and clean the inner barrel..don't get silicone oil on bucking tho.. I wipe off all the factory lube and clean it and then lube with silicone oil.lube down all moving parts. With a thin layer of silicone oil or shock oil. Oil the oring in the bcg. And also oil the roller on the hammer. My rule of thumb is if it moves it needs lube. Check the other threads..it'll show you in detail how to take it apart..

#3 greatwatermelon

greatwatermelon

I Break GUNS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Do not use any silicone spray. In fact, it says right in the manual now, not to use silicone spray.

Use the silicone oil included with the LM4, and if it is not included... then RC Shock Oil Wt. 30 would do it.

I agree with Boobie on this, just do the regular and clean the inner barrel. No bucking on the silicone oil.

#4 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

DONT USE SPRAY SILICONE. Please just don't. You may want to clean the inner barrel and hop up area with a clean Q-tip and the cleaning patch just to make sure there is no dirt from transit. This is what I will be doing when I get my LM4 tomorrow. Unlike you, I plan on fielding it the next day lol. We'll see how that goes, I bought 4 spare mags

#5 Tech-D

Tech-D

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Tae Kwon Do, Airsoft, Photography, Sportbikes

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:03 AM

Devil:

Welcome to the LM4 owners club(or soon to be).  :)  What I did was downloaded and read the manual before my gun came in to get all the info I needed before it came.  The PDF manual can be found:  http://kwausa.com/fi...MD23_LM4PTR.pdf

#6 airsoftsniperm4

airsoftsniperm4

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

What's wrong with using spray silicone?

#7 SR105

SR105

Tech

• KWA Staff
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

There are two set screws on the outer barrel very close to the delta ring. I would advise that you put a mild thread locker on these set screws. Mine came a little loose after firing the LM4 for a while and the hop up/inner barrel would have a little play if these come loose. For anyone reading this that has LM4 jamming issues: this might be the reason your gun is jamming and tightening the screws might solve that problem. The screws are the the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. You might want to move the gas tube out of the way to properly tighten the one at the 12 o'clock position.

#8 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

View Postairsoftsniperm4, on 07 June 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

What's wrong with using spray silicone?
Certain chemicals added to spray silicone don't react well with rubber pieces inside the gun. I have heard that dry lube works well, but don't quote me on that. I think Niko had success with it

#9 Epitaph

Epitaph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

I just got my LM4 yesterday (whoohoo!) and I cleaned and lubed her up last night ;) I wouldn't worry too much, just do as these gents suggest and you'll be fine, Devil.

I was very surprised to find the inner barrel was very clean and I could barely gather any 'gunk' from the hop up area. I was expecting a lot more treasures to find after reading all these posts. I also went through all my magazines' release valve area, cleaning out all the metal shavings and factory lube. Relubed those bad boys and tossed them back in the magazine, tightening them to ensure a nice seal as per Allizard's post. Do all this and I'm sure you'll be good to go.

#10 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

A good clean and relube is a must IMO before use for ANY GBB guns.
I sprayed the exterior of the bolt and charging handle with dri-film and it's definitely much smoother now.

#11 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

i just gotta say i really like this forum..someone needs help or has a question and EVERYONE here helps out..this is my first time signing up to a forum that is constructive and everyone on here is nice..ive been on here for a week or so and really like all the sharing of info..

with that said goodluck devil and welcome to the LM4 club!

#12 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostBoobieM4H, on 07 June 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

i just gotta say i really like this forum..someone needs help or has a question and EVERYONE here helps out..this is my first time signing up to a forum that is constructive and everyone on here is nice..ive been on here for a week or so and really like all the sharing of info..

We do what we can. It is a hobby we all love after all. ;)

#13 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,516 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostBoobieM4H, on 07 June 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Thanks for the feed back.  I know it makes the Mod's and Admin's jobs a whole lot easier.

#14 devil69

devil69

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Mainly firearms, firearm replica's, military, law enforcement, PMC/PSC, video games

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

So, using a RS cleaning kit would work for the inner barrel, correct? Also, how do keep silicone oil off the bucking if you clean the inner barrel? Noob question im sure. Only use liquid 100% silicone on all moving parts, and clean and lube all magazines. I wont be Fielding it sadly because I wont have time to thoroughly go over it before the game because I don't have any tools needed to do so yet. As for tools, my wholesaler has all them, so, I'll be using his shop after the game to do so. Unless he has all the tools in his mobile work shop. I absolutely appreciate everyone being so helpful.

Ghost Security Force;
Devil

#15 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,516 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

View Postdevil69, on 07 June 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

So, using a RS cleaning kit would work for the inner barrel, correct? Also, how do keep silicone oil off the bucking if you clean the inner barrel? Noob question im sure. Only use liquid 100% silicone on all moving parts, and clean and lube all magazines. I wont be Fielding it sadly because I wont have time to thoroughly go over it before the game because I don't have any tools needed to do so yet. As for tools, my wholesaler has all them, so, I'll be using his shop after the game to do so. Unless he has all the tools in his mobile work shop. I absolutely appreciate everyone being so helpful.

Ghost Security Force;
Devil
A couple of things.  If the RS cleaning kit uses a metal rod, DO NOT USE IT as it will scratch the inner barrel.  Also, do not lube the magazine's loading chamber, the valves yes, not where the BB's go.  It causes dirt to collect and can make the BB's foul and mag fail.  100% silicone, like that which came with the gun is best.  If you run out 20-30 wt RC shock oil works fine.  Niko and I are testing some Dry Lube and while I have yet to use it on my LM4 Niko has and the results are so far promising.  More on that to come.

#16 devil69

devil69

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Ok, does the gun come with a cleaning rod? All I have is a metal one. But, I heard that plastic ones are prone to breaking..?

Ghost Security Force;
Devil

#17 Epitaph

Epitaph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

It should have came with a plastic cleaning/unjamming rod combo. One end has an eye to put a cloth patch through, the other end has a plastic tip slanted so you can unjam bb's from the barrel. I have never broken one.. but I could see someone getting a little crazy and breaking it. Just go easy and dont force it.

If your rifle did come with one I like to use .223/5.56 cleaning patches for the inner barrel. I cut them in half so they run through easier... as for your question about the bucking, I shine a flashlight into the chamber so I do not push the cleaning rod too far in and jam it up against the bucking.

Edited by Epitaph, 07 June 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#18 devil69

devil69

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

I haven't received the gun yet, but thanks for head up and idea on the 5.56 cleaning patch

Ghost Security Force;
Devil

#19 Epitaph

Epitaph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Ah, I gotcha. Well I hope it comes with it! For some reason I did not receive the tiny bottle of oil, or the usual small bag of bb's... not an issue, just odd. Good luck with your LM4, Devil!

#20 Tech-D

Tech-D

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Tae Kwon Do, Airsoft, Photography, Sportbikes

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

To add to what Epitaph said, use a flashlight to point into the barrel from the hopup side, slide the cleaning rod into the gun, then what I do is take some yellow(or any color) tape and tape the rode where the end of the barrel is.  That way for future cleanings you just push the rod in till the tape is at the end of the barrel and you know not to go any further.

I also have been using Winchester cotton patches p/n: 99718, I fold them in 1/2 and put them through the rode and it slides down the barrel very well.  I also dip the first patch in water and use that to clean the barrel, then I go down 2-3 times more with a dry patches and the barrel is squeaky clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users