92 replies to this topic

#41 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

Yeah I didn't heat mine, just had my brother tap the wrench while I held the receiver and it came off pretty easily.

#42 Epitaph

Epitaph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm having some trouble with the barrel nut...

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to get it off for a couple days now. The thing will not budge and I've tried everything except take a blowtorch to it. I can see the dried loc tite/glue they've used on the receiver threads just behind the nut, it looks the same as the stuff left on the flash hider threads, which came off very easy for me. Whatever this stuff is they've either put a bunch on this barrel nut or I'm the only person with an LM4 that has CCW receiver threads!

Any suggestions? minus the blowtorch option... too scary.

#43 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

My brother held the receiver (having a table vise and that plastic piece for real steel would make it easier) and I tapped the tool with a rubber mallet. A couple of good hits (didnt hit it that hard) and it came loose.

Also yeah my flash hider came off really easy, I was expecting a fight like the MP7.

#44 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,665 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

The receiver is indeed CW NOT CCW. Use an armorer's wrench.  See here: http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B00238XECI

And if for some reason your LM4 indeed has thread lock on it then use heat from a heat gun.

#45 Epitaph

Epitaph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

I appreciate the advice, but like I said I tried everything (including the tool you've linked) aside from using a blow torch to heat it. I was only joking about the threads being CCW since it was being so tough to remove. I ended up taking it to a friend of mine who has a lot of experience working on rifles and after about an hour we were able to remove the barrel nut. Some heavy use with a heat gun, and about all his body weight on the wrench did the trick. There was a lot of thread lock left over on the receiver threads which makes sense why that nut was so stubborn!

#46 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,665 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostEpitaph, on 25 June 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

I appreciate the advice, but like I said I tried everything (including the tool you've linked) aside from using a blow torch to heat it. I was only joking about the threads being CCW since it was being so tough to remove. I ended up taking it to a friend of mine who has a lot of experience working on rifles and after about an hour we were able to remove the barrel nut. Some heavy use with a heat gun, and about all his body weight on the wrench did the trick. There was a lot of thread lock left over on the receiver threads which makes sense why that nut was so stubborn!
Glad to hear it's all ok now!

#47 Fighter008

Fighter008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Do any of you think the RA-KSC M4 N.P.A.S complete bolt-Dimgray will work for the KWA LM4? I'm new to GBBR and do not own any tools. I need to play under 328 FPS. If any of you know any sort that can get me below 328 FPS, please do tell me!

Edited by Fighter008, 28 July 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#48 Jakeedaman21

Jakeedaman21

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Read boobies and my response in the 400+ fps thread. You only need a select few tools... Easily bought for around $10 at a hardware store.

#49 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

Spammin

Sent from my DROID2

#50 killerimpulse

killerimpulse

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:saltwater fish tank and reef tanks, scuba, paintball, golf

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for detailed break down. This will be very helpful to learn my Gn even better.

Thank you

#51 TThreat

TThreat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

THANK YOU - Used this tutorial to tear down both my guns today for the first time. This helped out a ton

#52 I Am Infidel

I Am Infidel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, Snowboarding, ARMA, Cars, Computers.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

well......i bent my lower receiver of my bench vice trying to get the delta ring off, i padded it as much as i can with wood and fabrics. Now i cant get the mag in or out without a lot of force.
I tried hammering it, heating it and pushed it, still no luck now i need a new lower receiver if they even sell them yet.

Edited by I Am Infidel, 12 October 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#53 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

They sell full uppers, might have the lowers

#54 I Am Infidel

I Am Infidel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

when using the armorers wrench, do i turn CW or CCW? I see post saying the thread is CW but is that way i turn?

#55 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Note: The thread determination of CCW or CW is the direction the thread is tightened!  So, for your gun it is lefty loosey....just like a pickle jar.  Put the wrench on the nut and tap it with a hammer to break the seal.  Torquing on it can bend the receiver as you have now found out.

#56 I Am Infidel

I Am Infidel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

using an armorers wrench, i stripped the teeth on the delta ring, i cant believe it. bad luck?

#57 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

Did you melt the LockTite first?

-- Chuck

#58 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

As it seems from a lot of people's experiences, there isn't any locktite on the barrel nut. Though anyways, how did it strip? Having a friend help is a good idea as they can hold the body while you hold the wrench on tight and tap it with a mallet.

Edited by akiraspeedstar, 14 October 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#59 I Am Infidel

I Am Infidel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

I heated it enough to hurt my hand, i had my friend stop by to help me try to wrench it off with a rubber dead blow, now i cracked the upper receiver even more. I dont know how to get it off so ill buy a new upper receiver then take the barrel out somehow.

Edited by I Am Infidel, 14 October 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#60 akiraspeedstar

akiraspeedstar

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users