13 replies to this topic

#1 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

Sorry. Been away from airsoft for quite a few months. I've noticed in a few of the more recent threads, that people are talking about a "new" version of the ATP. Can someone kindly fill me on on the details? It only seems like it was about a year ago that the gun even came out.

Thanks.

#2 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hey doug, I'm copy/pasting the most accurate description of the evolution of the ATP since launch, originally posted by gcw360.

"1. Launch
  • No trigger safety
  • Polymer spring guide (easily replaced)
  • Standard white trades
  • Threaded plastic orange tip - (note: The ATP is not designed for a can on the end so the tip was primarily cosmetic)
2. Second shipment/first revision
  • Integrated trigger safety
  • Metal spring guide
  • Standard white trades
  • Smooth orange tip (cosmetically superior to the original design)
3. Third shipment/second revision
  • All of the features of the second shipment with the addition of "subdued trades" meaning they are no longer bright white. This is a feature you will see on future KWA guns
Now, there have been internal tweaks to fine tune performance and reliability which I have not outlined. This is a hallmark of KWA, as a line of guns matures it is continually fine tuned and improved upon."

Hope this helps. :)

#3 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

The ATP design has seen about two revisions since its original release. Currently, the gun has a new slide design (subdued trades), trigger safety, no threaded barrel, and some other minor fixes that add to the gun. I believe KWA is also working to fix the outer barrel design, if they haven't already. Im forgetting if they have or not.

Outlaw (above me) states it even better.

Edited by aaps59, 15 May 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#4 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

Wow! Thanks for such detailed and helpful information, guys.

So, any idea how I'd know whether I'm getting the absolute newest model, if I buy from Evike? The photos they have on their site look to be the same that were there before the gun was even released. Is there an obviously different product code for the newest and best generation of the gun?

Finally, what exactly is wrong with the outer barrel? aaps59, you speificially make reference to that.

Cheers!

#5 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

The original outer barrel has been known to crack under certain circumstances. Usually when this happens KWA will help you out as much as they can. I don't believe there is a different product code. If you call evike, they should (hopefully) know if they have the new model in stock. Evikes turnaround time is usually pretty good.

#6 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Thanks, aaps59. You're quick on your feet, with the responses!
You're right, I'll give Evike a quick ring. I'm fortunate to live close enough that I can drive there on occassion, and I know the guys behind the counter know their stuff.

As for the cracked outer barrels, has that been a frequent occurance, or just a very limited issue? And, has there been a common activity or scenario which seems to have lead to that damage?

#7 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well, its happened enough that if I got a ATP, id expect it to happen sooner or later. This wouldn't deter me from buying a ATP though. Not really any common scenario that I know of, but I think propane has had something to do with it a couple of times. ATP is KWA's least propane friendly gun

#8 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

Okay, thanks. I may be spending a little more money, but I only use the green gas from Evike, as it is. So, hopefully, that would help mitigate any potential problems with the outer barrel if I bought the ATP. I also know that the KWA people are really good about standing behind their products, so I'd feel confident that they'd take care the gun if something actually did go wrong.

#9 Outlaw1995

Outlaw1995

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Acting, Piano, Films, Theatre, Firearms, Knives, Airsoft

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

The ATP barrel was made of a weak metal so when the gas and weather were too cold, you might experience the barrel crack from the coldness and slide moving back and forth causing the occurrence. And yes, KWA does an excellent job taking care of their customers.

Edited by Outlaw1995, 15 May 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#10 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

KWAs a great company with great service. THe best in the airsoft industry if you ask me. Just remember if you do have the unfortunate occurrence of something breaking in your gun, remember were all here with you on the forum.

#11 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

Indeed. Thanks, guys.
Fortunately, I live in SoCal, so unless I decide to store the gun in the freezer, it's never going to be subjected to cold weather.

#12 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

Use of a freezer as a GBB storage device is not recommended by KWA... Just kidding here haha. Id go for the ATP, have fun!

#13 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,304 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostOutlaw1995, on 15 May 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

Hey doug, I'm copy/pasting the most accurate description of the evolution of the ATP since launch, originally posted by gcw360.

"1. Launch
  • No trigger safety
  • Polymer spring guide (easily replaced)
  • Standard white trades
  • Threaded plastic orange tip - (note: The ATP is not designed for a can on the end so the tip was primarily cosmetic)
2. Second shipment/first revision
  • Integrated trigger safety
  • Metal spring guide
  • Standard white trades
  • Smooth orange tip (cosmetically superior to the original design)
3. Third shipment/second revision
  • All of the features of the second shipment with the addition of "subdued trades" meaning they are no longer bright white. This is a feature you will see on future KWA guns
Now, there have been internal tweaks to fine tune performance and reliability which I have not outlined. This is a hallmark of KWA, as a line of guns matures it is continually fine tuned and improved upon."

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks for the assist Outlaw.

#14 doug.nash

doug.nash

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

Well, I have one on the way. I look forward to testing it out once it arrives, after I detail strip it and clean and lube all the parts, of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users