Does Green Gas Really Work?

greengas kz75

17 replies to this topic

#1 chesterc

chesterc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Shooting sports ... use airsoft to train for Steel Challenge, IDPA, and USPSA.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hi,

I'm new to airsoft. On Tuesday I bought a KZ75, extra magazine, and a can of green gas from a local store. After reading through the manual that came with the pistol I charged both magazines with green gas, loaded them with the BBs that came with the pistol and tried firing. Nothing happened.

I tried charging the magazines several times and the most I ever got out of the pistol was a slight slide movement and a puff of air.

Convinced I'm doing something wrong I took everything back to the store so they could demonstrate how all this works. The clerk (different guy than when I was previously in the store) tried both mags with my can of Green Gas and had the same result. Then he grabbed a brand new can of Green Gas (different brand) and tried again. This time there was at least one "shot" with full slide movement but subsequent trigger pulls did nothing.

So then he pulls out a can of propane and fills both magazines. The gun fires and the slide cycles crisply with every trigger pull. So he trades me out a can of propane and an adaptor for the Green Gas I previously bought. I took everything home and had some fun putting holes in paper last night.

I do know that using propane voids my warranty and I'm OK with that. I just would like some explanation of why this happened. Why is Green Gas the recommended propellant when it flatly does not work? Is it possible that there is something wrong with the gun and/or both magazines that they won't work with Green Gas?

BTW, I was operating the pistol, loading the mags, etc in my garage where the ambient temperature was about 83-degrees Fahrenheit. The gas they originally sold me was UHC G-1000 Green Gas.

Thanks

#2 xX Chaotic Cam

xX Chaotic Cam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft(no kidding?), real firearms, cars.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

View Postchesterc, on 04 May 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

Hi,

I'm new to airsoft. On Tuesday I bought a KZ75, extra magazine, and a can of green gas from a local store. After reading through the manual that came with the pistol I charged both magazines with green gas, loaded them with the BBs that came with the pistol and tried firing. Nothing happened.

I tried charging the magazines several times and the most I ever got out of the pistol was a slight slide movement and a puff of air.

Convinced I'm doing something wrong I took everything back to the store so they could demonstrate how all this works. The clerk (different guy than when I was previously in the store) tried both mags with my can of Green Gas and had the same result. Then he grabbed a brand new can of Green Gas (different brand) and tried again. This time there was at least one "shot" with full slide movement but subsequent trigger pulls did nothing.

So then he pulls out a can of propane and fills both magazines. The gun fires and the slide cycles crisply with every trigger pull. So he trades me out a can of propane and an adaptor for the Green Gas I previously bought. I took everything home and had some fun putting holes in paper last night.

I do know that using propane voids my warranty and I'm OK with that. I just would like some explanation of why this happened. Why is Green Gas the recommended propellant when it flatly does not work? Is it possible that there is something wrong with the gun and/or both magazines that they won't work with Green Gas?

BTW, I was operating the pistol, loading the mags, etc in my garage where the ambient temperature was about 83-degrees Fahrenheit. The gas they originally sold me was UHC G-1000 Green Gas.

Thanks
You probably had a faulty can. That has nothing to do with the performance over propane. All of KWA's products are designed to use green gas exclusively, if you use propane you WILL break parts, it's just a matter of time. I could never go back to propane after I started using green gas, it's a thousand times more convenient. I don't have to take a shower after shooting a magazine through my ATP. :P If you magazines will work with propane, then they will work with green gas. If i had to bet, the nozzle was bad on the can of green gas you had.

#3 chesterc

chesterc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Shooting sports ... use airsoft to train for Steel Challenge, IDPA, and USPSA.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

That's what I thought at first too ... that something was wrong with the Green Gas can they sold me. But then the guy at the store grabbed a second can (brand new) and tried it and that one also failed to fill the magazines.

I guess that particular store could have received a bad batch of Green Gas from their supplier. But that seems unlikely to me.

However, I'll pick up a can from a different source and give it another try. And I'll report back what I find.

#4 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,310 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

What brand of Green Gas wouldn't work?  The Power Green brand with the screw on fill nozzle is terrible.  It doesn't seem to work very well with most GBBs.

#5 apacifico3

apacifico3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Airsoft, Sports

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

Like Cam said, it was probably a problem with the nozzle in the GG can or the fill valve on the mags wouldn't let the GG gas in. Propane has a higher pressure so that's why it probably worked. This or the Power Green Gas with the  screw on nozzle. Those aren't the best. King Arms / Bestek is probably the best brand of GG I have used.

Saying that, all guns wear down over time, gas guns especially. If you aren't afraid of replacing a cylinder / nozzle, cylinder return springs, etc. down the road, go with propane. I know KWA advises you to stay away, but I've never had a problem with propane in my ATP, M1911, or KMP9 (with the enhanced nozzle and seal). Just don't add so much silicone oil to the fill valve or propane reservoir and always remember to clean your guns AFTER shooting them. Having a can of working GG around is always a safe bet just run through your gun every once in a while.

Anyways, welcome to the forums and good luck with your new gun!

Edited by apacifico3, 04 May 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#6 chesterc

chesterc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

This is the gas I tried ... http://heroesthestor...m/greengas.html

Thanks for the responses! I'll try a can of King Arms or Bestek and see what happens.

#7 xX Chaotic Cam

xX Chaotic Cam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

View Postchesterc, on 04 May 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Thanks for the responses! I'll try a can of King Arms or Bestek and see what happens.
If you can, get some Puff Dino. Biggest cans i know of, plus you can tell if they have been opened (they have a seal like a bottle of water) and it ain't that expensive, I got 2 cans for like 15 online. And, the cans aren't just cheap like most green gas cans, they are made like a CO2 cartridge and are really thick.

#8 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,310 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

View Postchesterc, on 04 May 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

You'll be glad you did.  I tried that GG in a new TM PX4 Storm and the gun cycled like twice and died.  It's the fill nozzle on the can, it is no good.

#9 Boss302

Boss302

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostxX Chaotic Cam, on 04 May 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

You probably had a faulty can. That has nothing to do with the performance over propane. All of KWA's products are designed to use green gas exclusively, if you use propane you WILL break parts, it's just a matter of time. I could never go back to propane after I started using green gas, it's a thousand times more convenient. I don't have to take a shower after shooting a magazine through my ATP. :P If you magazines will work with propane, then they will work with green gas. If i had to bet, the nozzle was bad on the can of green gas you had.
I agree, when I first got my first GBB (KSC G18c) I used the cheaper alternative but I had to replace jet nozzles and cylinders.  I used nothing but green gas in my KWA MK23 and I don't think I will ever go back to propane.

#10 xX Chaotic Cam

xX Chaotic Cam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

View Postgcw360, on 04 May 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

You'll be glad you did.  I tried that GG in a new TM PX4 Storm and the gun cycled like twice and died.  It's the fill nozzle on the can, it is no good.
Why does everyone have PX4?! I ENVY YOU. :angry:

#11 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Welcome to the forums. As my friends have already stated, it was probably a faulty batch of green gas that caused these issues. I would recommend trying a different brand of green gas. I wouldn't switch to propane though just because of this. Sorry about these issues! And yes, green gas does work haha

#12 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostxX Chaotic Cam, on 04 May 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Why does everyone have PX4?! I ENVY YOU. :angry:
Actually, I was test driving it in a store.  I don't own one.  Though if KWA were to make one I would jump on it!

#13 chesterc

chesterc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

OK, I have good news. At another local store they had King Arms gas (well, that's all they had, just King Arms) so I got a can and tried it out tonight. Works just fine!

I'll try the Bestek too but for now I'm relieved to discover something that works.

Thanks for all the replies and info. I really appreciate it.

#14 xX Chaotic Cam

xX Chaotic Cam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

View Postgcw360, on 04 May 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

Actually, I was test driving it in a store.  I don't own one.  Though if KWA were to make one I would jump on it!
Get to making one! ;p

#15 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostxX Chaotic Cam, on 06 May 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

Get to making one! ;p
No doubt!   Allen likes them too! :shiftyninja:

#16 xX Chaotic Cam

xX Chaotic Cam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

View Postgcw360, on 06 May 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

No doubt!   Allen likes them too! :shiftyninja:
:drooling:

#17 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Not planned...I already asked....But there's always tomorrow!

#18 ransackedsnake7

ransackedsnake7

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

id buy a kwa PX4 in a heartbeat

Edited by ransackedsnake7, 26 June 2012 - 08:52 AM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: greengas, kz75

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users