• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 smokinloon

smokinloon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

I recently purchased a kwa atp from a local vendor and I love the gun but I have unfortunately ran into a issue.

While at the shop I also purchased a propane adaptor and 10w oil as the owner assured me it was the same thing. I finished a partial green gas can  i already had and the gun functioned flawlessly and after  running out I switched to propane, the first 2 mags were just fine but the third and forth didnt recoil completely and vented a lot of gas. I stopped using it and went to your forums and discovered that the atp is the most propane intolerant gun around and that I have also voided my warranty. The shop owner is also no help stating that even though it was his suggestion it was still my decision to purchase it. I know they cant do any warranty work on it now but I just ordered more green gas and was wondering what i should do to rehabilitate the gun as it doesnt appear damaged internally.

Thanks
Loon

#2 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, photography, cars, computers.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

I don't think your gun is damaged. This happens occasionally, I don't know why but it does. I don't recommend propane though. Should be fine on propane if you lubricate it correctly...

Edited by aaps59, 26 February 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#3 ransackedsnake7

ransackedsnake7

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Wait and try your gun with green gas when if it comes, if your gun is broken let one of the Kwa employees know about your situation ive seen them take back guns that have warranty problems before, you may get lucky :)

#4 smokinloon

smokinloon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

I hope its all good with green gas. this is my 3rd gas pistol in my 15-ish years in airsoft. My ancient marui nbb mk23 full kit soccom was starting to show its age after 9 years so i picked this up as a replacment. But the marui nbb seems to like propane so the adaptor isnt a total loss.

#5 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,309 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

View Postsmokinloon, on 26 February 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

I recently purchased a kwa atp from a local vendor and I love the gun but I have unfortunately ran into a issue.

While at the shop I also purchased a propane adaptor and 10w oil as the owner assured me it was the same thing. I finished a partial green gas can  i already had and the gun functioned flawlessly and after  running out I switched to propane, the first 2 mags were just fine but the third and forth didnt recoil completely and vented a lot of gas. I stopped using it and went to your forums and discovered that the atp is the most propane intolerant gun around and that I have also voided my warranty. The shop owner is also no help stating that even though it was his suggestion it was still my decision to purchase it. I know they cant do any warranty work on it now but I just ordered more green gas and was wondering what i should do to rehabilitate the gun as it doesnt appear damaged internally.

Thanks
Loon
Sorry you are having issues.  Take some silicone oil, the one that came with the gun, and lube the hammer and associated mechanism.  Look at the moving parts when the trigger is pulled and be sure to lube all these parts.  Next, work the parts manually 20 or 30 times.  Then see if your gun fires correctly.  Please let us know.

#6 smokinloon

smokinloon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

Ok, i lubed every moving part and it is cycling, the shots are comming out crisp BUT the slide doesnt blow back the same every time, sometimes its full and sometimes its 3/4...

#7 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,309 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Field strip the gun, clean the rails and lube the slide and rail.  Try the 10wt silicone instead of the one that came with the gun.  Let us know how it works.

#8 smokinloon

smokinloon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Recoil is much stronger now and each cycle is fairly equal but its not enough for the slide lock to catch at the end of the mag. but overall its a 100% improvment from a stuttering, gas spewing paperweight

And thanks for helping me

Edited by smokinloon, 27 February 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#9 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,309 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Now, be sure the mag is warm (room temp) and see if it will lock back after on or two shots.  Sometimes with fast cycling, the mag will cool down and there isn't enough power to lock the slide back due to a lose of gas efficiency by the end of the mag.

#10 smokinloon

smokinloon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Ok, 28 shots, 3 seconds between shots, indoors at  70 degrees and wont lock back but if i wait 20 seconds or so it will lock back. mag is filling well because i can clear 2 full mags in this manner with no problems now!

#11 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:36 AM

Have you tried adding a drop of silicone oil in the release valve of the magazine.  Then work it in.  Propane may have dried it out a bit.  And even better if you have a valve key to take the release valve out to relube the rings on that.
Do you still wonder why we don't recommend propane in an NS2 system?

#12 smokinloon

smokinloon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

well i never wondered why propane isnt recemended but if i knew aead of time i wouldnt have used it. i oiled the valve and its much better, since its working good im going to quit messing with it till the green gas gets here friday. Is there any advantage to the huricane kits and mag valves ect.?

#13 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Another member dobey uses the hurricane upgrade kit on his ATP and reports positive results.  You may want to contact him for some feedback.

#14 Darth Genesis

Darth Genesis

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

I put one of the hurricane valves in one of my mags. The recoil was nice and crisp but the gas usage was off the chart. So IMHO stock valve= gas efficient. Hurricane valve = money puffed out into the air.

#15 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:10 AM

View PostDarth Genesis, on 28 February 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

I put one of the hurricane valves in one of my mags. The recoil was nice and crisp but the gas usage was off the chart. So IMHO stock valve= gas efficient. Hurricane valve = money puffed out into the air.
To get the full effect, you may want to change out to a bit stiffer recoil spring.
And since the hurricane is a high flow valve you will use up gas faster.

#16 smokinloon

smokinloon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

im just wanting to guarente full cycles and a empty mag.

#17 xX Chaotic Cam

xX Chaotic Cam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft(no kidding?), real firearms, cars.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

View Postaaps59, on 26 February 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

I don't think your gun is damaged. This happens occasionally, I don't know why but it does. I don't recommend propane though. Should be fine on propane if you lubricate it correctly...
Just recently, I have tried EVERY amount of propane and kind of propane in the book and STILL can't get reliable function like I can on GG. I would say the ATP is EXTREMELY INTOLERANT of propane. Run green gas and save the gun, save your nose, and save your social life after going out shooting. LOL

#18 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

I don't have much experience with propane in KWA's, but I know my friend does. He uses ONLY propane in all his GBB's that he owns/has owned, and I don't see all too many issues. He USUALLY lubricates. I wouldn't use propane in any GBB that I really care about, which is why I'm stocking up on Green Gas for when the Lm4 arrives. I have two full cans stocked up, should be four by the LM4!

#19 apacifico3

apacifico3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Airsoft, Sports

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

Keep stocking your green gas cans. I bet you'll have more than 4 when July-September rolls around. LM4 PTR and LM4C have a mid-Q2 release while the Magpul PTS LM4 has a Q3 release...

#20 aaps59

aaps59

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:41 AM

I don't believe the Q3 release date for a second. There's no way. Im expecting it at my door later this month

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users