35 replies to this topic

#1 2621

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Lifting, swimming, running, beach, muscle cars, cigars

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

I just purchased a H&K G36 and want to upgrade it to it's fullest extent.  So far I have a PDI tightbore barrel, high torque motor, Prometheus hard tooth gear set (double torque), and from the Pro shop I purchased the hurricane upgrade kit and the enhanced hop up bucking.  I've heard from several people that KWA rifles tend to have their own specific specs and don't take outside brand upgrades very well(other than the motor, inner barrel, and gears.)  So they tend to be very troublesome with the cylinder and piston units and just about anything else other than the above mentioned.  So I'm curious to know if it's true or would it be possible to buy other products when it comes time to replacing parts.  And if there's anything I can add to it now.  Thank you for your time and responses, much appreciated.

Edited by 2621, 15 February 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,654 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Actually, the only real compatibility issues I've seen in the gearbox would be the cylinder head and nozzle.  You really need to keep KWA with KWA at that interface.  If you change one part, then change both for after market but don't be surprised if you loose compression.  I have used other pistons with no issues.  Niko has used other gears with no issues.  The hop-up unit tends to like KWA, EdGI and KM Head barrels.  Others have used Bravo with good results.

I can't vouch for PDI barrels so let us know how that goes.  I would stick with the stock 2G bucking and not use the Hurricane one.  Nor would I change the gears.  If you'll notice, the KWA gears need very little if any shims.  The Prometheus gears will need a full shim job. The cylinder is not propitiatory either.

So now with all this said, what are you going for in you gun?  Speed (ROF) or FPS?

#3 2621

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Sounds promising, but why would the hurricane kit and bucking be on the pro shop if it doesn't work well with it's intended weapon?  And I will let you know how the PDI barrel works when I get home, which won't be for another month and a half so bare with me on that.  I believe the Prom gears come with shims so hopefully that is the case and it isn't too much of a problem.  What piston and piston head would you recommend and where on the site do they sell cylinders?  I'm going for FPS, not really worried about ROF all too much.  Want to keep the ROF to a realistic amount.

#4 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:25 AM

I have also used after market piston heads with KWA cylinders without compression issues.  I have used many different brands of pistons with success eventhough I feel KWA pistons are one of the best you can buy for the money. And as gcw360 has already indicated, your cylinder head, air nozzle and hop-up unit is about the only thing that can cause compression problems if changed.  But other than that KWA internals are all TM compatible and not anymore proprietary than other brands.  But one thing to keep in mind is that KWA internals have been engineered to work well with one another so if you change anything in this system you may not always get the improvement you are seeking.

#5 2621

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Well I was able to cancel my orders and make new ones.  So I ordered a Prometheus Hard piston, Prom piston head POM and a high torque motor.  And from the Pro Shop I ordered the high torque gear set and EdGI 6.01mm TB barrel.  So that should definitely make some improvement and work well with keeping the compression.  Will the stock spring be ok?  And whenever those break I think I will just stick with straight KWA parts from then on.

#6 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

Why did you order a new gear set?  Your G36 already comes equipped with high torque gears.

#7 2621

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Spares, wanna have a full spare back up kit on hand in case something happens.  Will the stock spring be good in gun though?

#8 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

View Post2621, on 16 February 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Spares, wanna have a full spare back up kit on hand in case something happens.  Will the stock spring be good in gun though?
Oh, ok. lol

Stock spring is just fine.

#9 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,654 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

What FPS are you looking for?  The stock spring and the TBB should put you around 400+ FPS.  Also, the parts in your gun are so good to begin with I would leave them until you have some issues with wear.  Let us know how the new high torque motor compares to the KWA high torque motor.  The KWA with an 11.1 LiPo will deliver about 22 RPS with the stock gearbox.

#10 2621

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

I know it sounds silly to have a back up kit, but I blame the military for making me feel the urge to have excess things.lol.  And right around 400 FPS or so.  Yeah I will probably leave the Prom piston and head out of the gun until the stock ones give me issues.  How good are the hop up units on the gun?

#11 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

I really need to show you my box of spare parts.  LOL

#12 2621

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Well in that case, thank god I'm not the only one lol.  I'm trying to build up my own, will take sometime.

#13 2621

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

I do have another question though, where do you buy the cylinders? I don't see them on the Pro Shop, not for the G36 specifically at least.

#14 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

You can call for availability. But from experience cylinders made by systema and modify work good in KWA. But you might need to Teflon the cylinder head for complete compression.

#15 2621

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

What type of cylinder does the G36 use?  And what exactly is the process of Tefloning a cylinder?

#16 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Type 1.  Tefloning the cylinder is wrapping Teflon tape around the cylinder head and inserting the CH into the cylinder.  I have used Area 1000 cylinders by Systema without need of this modification.

#17 2621

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

There a specific amount of teflon tape you have to use?  And I will definitely stick with the Systema cylinders in the future.  I've heard that you could release the tension on your spring so it lasts longer, how do you do that exactly?

#18 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

Personally, I would stick with the KWA cylinder and cylinder head and skip the tape mod.  It doesn't work all the time\.  Regarding releasing spring tension, fire the gun in semi 3 times and you are done.

#19 2621

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

I was planning on sticking to the KWA, would you recommend going to the Systema cyclinder when it's time to get a new one or just another KWA cylinder?

#20 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Just get a new KWA one.  Though, I have over 100K rounds though mine and it's just fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users