• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Oktinbender

Oktinbender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

I have two ATPs that I just bought. I have had the same gas venting problems that everyone mentions. I see that the solution is supposed to be lubing the trigger assembly but I think it is magazine related.  I have one mag that works great in whatever gun I put it in. But with the other mag you can shoot a few times bleeding off a lot of gas and then the action will lock back and all the gas will come out.  I took it back to the shop and of course everything worked after they messed with a bit but today the same problem. So what could make a mag do this?  It doesn't leak and it only happens in which ever gun the mag is in.  I would like some help if possible. I am supposed to go out of town for a force on force class Saturday (my only reason for buying these) so I don't have time to send it in and the local shops don't have mags in stock.

#2 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

You can try tightening the release valve and lubing it with silicone oil.  If you believe that the release valve is damaged, you should replace it. It's a relatively cheap part and readily available in any airsoft stores.

#3 Oktinbender

Oktinbender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

I can't get it any tighter. Maybe the valve is bad?  It is brand new. I lubed and we will see.

#4 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

If it's too tight, try backing it out about a quarter turn. See if that helps.

#5 philsaudio

philsaudio

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Playing Bass, Grandkids, camping

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

I have two magazines and a new ATP. After about a 50 reloads each; first one vents, then the other. Solution was to put some silicone oil into each of the upper and lower magazine valves. When there is no gas in the magazine the top valve pushes in rather easily. Gently work a half drop of the 100% silicone oil in and lube the O rings.

The solution for "leaking release valve & charge valve" Dry-O-Ring" problem in the instruction book is page 15 is, "add silicone oil to valves"

Perhaps this should be a prerequisite to taking the first gas charge and repeated every so often?

What to the professionals do? Is there a process to this one to do and one to avoid?

#6 philsaudio

philsaudio

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

My first two mags settled down after their venting episode. The fix was to add oil to all three valve exposures on the magazines.

I got a 50 rnd Magpul magazine oiled it's valves, filled  it with gas and BBs and shot a few hundred BBs. Same venting problem.

Added more oil to the valves and no problems since. Definitely a magazine problem not a problem with the gun.

#7 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

Sometimes when the mags are new the release valve can stick just enough to cause the gas to vent.  Some silicone oil can definitely resolve that issue until the valve settles and breaks in.  But this should be part of your maintenance routine that consists of 1 drop of silicone oil in the charging valve and release valve.

#8 philsaudio

philsaudio

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:48 AM

View Postniko_gpsy, on 08 January 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

Sometimes when the mags are new the release valve can stick just enough to cause the gas to vent.  Some silicone oil can definitely resolve that issue until the valve settles and breaks in.  But this should be part of your maintenance routine that consists of 1 drop of silicone oil in the charging valve and release valve.

How frequently should I oil the mags?  After how many gas refill's, bottles of gas, thousands of bBs, days or weeks of use or inactivity, before or after shooting etc?

#9 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,547 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:51 AM

After the first time, I do it if and when a mag acts up...but that's me.

#10 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

View Postgcw360, on 09 January 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

After the first time, I do it if and when a mag acts up...but that's me.
That what do too or when I clean the gun I clean the mags too of dirt that can build from excess grease. Just don't throw it in the dishwasher! LMAO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users