5 replies to this topic

#1 Ares513

Ares513

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hi,

I just bought a KMP9 at an army surplus store. First of all, I LOVE THIS GUN. SERIOUSLY. If you're reading this and you DON'T own a KMP9, then I want you to stand up, walk towards the nearest method of transportation, and go buy one. Seriously.

That being said....

For some reason, the magazine follower won't push the BBs up far enough to cycle the next shot. This gun has been used by multiple people and I'd imagine someone snapped the follower spring. This led to a little bit of dry-firing. My question is compounded; one, what do I have to do to repair the magazine (seems like it needs a new follower spring) and two, what damage will a little bit of dry-firing do? I understand that since, even though I didn't break the magazine, it is not covered under warranty; I just want a way to get my beloved KMP9 functioning. I've had it for less than a week and put maybe 20 mags through it. So while I love the noise and the kick, I question how much of it was human error. :scared:  However, I'm fairly confident that the problem will be solved... it's a question of expense for me. To anyone reading this, I bear absolutely no ill will to KWA. I also own a M9 PTP and it is easily the best gun in my arsenal. But I haven't even used this at the field yet, so it'd be great if it could be fixed soon :(

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,654 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

It's probably the follower or it could be the BB's.  What BB's are you using?  If it's the follower you can either send the mag in for repair or buy the part and install it yourself. But first look at this thread: http://kwausa.com/fo...l=&fromsearch=1

It may be that you simply need to sand the follower down a bit.

FYI, while dry firing is never recommended, a little won't ruin the gun.

Here is the link to the follower, it's only $5.00: http://store.kwausa....nefollower.aspx

#3 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

You can punch out the 2 pins at the bottom of the magazine. This will release the base and you can take the spring and follower out.
Then you will need to sand the base of the follower down smooth (the bottom side/flat surface). I had the same problem where the follower would get stuck toward the middle of the mag. After this fix, no more problem.
But be careful not to bend the pins while putting the mags back together. You may even need another hand to put pressure on the base while tapping the pins back in.

#4 Ares513

Ares513

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

Thank you! I tried a similar solution- silicone oil. It seemed to fix the problem reasonably effectively. I'm using ASGI .2 BBs, mixed in with .2 Goldenball BBs. I also have KWA .25s that I haven't tried yet, though I wouldn't be surprised if that fixed it. Unfortunately, my local field doesn't allow anything heavier than .2s. Tuesday, I'm installing the Low Power Bolt because the only nearby field has a 330 FPS limit. It's also quite cold this time of year... still stunned that it tested at 380 with high-power bolt! :)

If there's any way I can help KWA, let me know, your products are by far the most reliable and well built that I own. One of my friends looked through the display case, pointed at an ATP and said "Is that a good pistol?" My response was "Is it a KWA? Yes, it's a good pistol" :)

#5 Ares513

Ares513

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

Wait... wait... wait...

Didn't fix it. Still gets stuck at the middle of the mag. I have to pull the follower down and guide it back up. I can't have this happening on the field. Can you help? I now own two KWA products and at current both are failing me. Not happy :(

#6 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

You have to sand the bottom of the follower a bit. You may have a burr either on the follower or the bb channel. I had to do the same for the same problem you are experiencing and I no longer have this issue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magazine, KMP9, SMG, GBB, follower, spring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users