40 replies to this topic

#1 WarWolf1337

WarWolf1337

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

I've had my ATP for a good solid
Month and a half, and I've just started having problems. The mag won't fill up with gas, and it also vents sometimes. I'll try the lube on the firing assembly, and get back to you guys.

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,738 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Is the fill valve o-ring still in place?  What brand of green gas are you using?

#3 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:13 AM

As gcw has stated.  I believe that your O-ring may have fallen out.  When this happens, the gas spews out around the charging nozzle and you will not be able to fully charge your magazine.
And sometimes filling nozzles on the cans themselves can be bad so you may want to try another fresh can.

#4 KWAnOOb

KWAnOOb

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:AIRSOFT!

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

Planing on getting an ATP for christmas and trying to learn as much as possible to fix all the problems everyone is having. seems like the ATP is a hit or miss right now for the first couple of manufactured batches or its just really high maintenance. Also was wondering if anyone uses propane? green gas is expensive... ive heard propane can break tokyo maruis because the plastic slide but the atp is metal slide so if you guys can help lmk

also is the gun its self that makes it a ns2 or the magazine or both work as one?

Edited by KWAnOOb, 16 November 2011 - 03:32 AM.

#5 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,738 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:22 AM

The blow back engine (piston, flute valve, cylinder, etc) in the gun makes it an NS2, not the mag.  With that said when some of the older model guns where updated to NS2, the mag's design changed also.

All of the M series mags that are long enough to fit, will work in the ATP.  This includes the M17, the FPG, and the M series extended mag.  The M19 mag won't work because it's too short but the ATP mag will fit and work in the M19.

#6 KWAnOOb

KWAnOOb

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:55 AM

what about propane.... is it okay to use that instead of green gas?

#7 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

I would not recommend propane and it's use will automatically void your warranty.  The NS2 system is designed around the use of green gas and will not function properly with other types of gases.  From what I can understand, straight propane even mixed in with silicone oil will cause your KWA GBB pistols to cycle harder causing malfunctions and premature wear.

#8 KWAnOOb

KWAnOOb

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

i see its just everyone at my field doesn't even buy green gas cz its expensive and they just use propane and ive seen some kwa pistols run propane and just wanted to know if you use recommend to use it or not

#9 xX Chaotic Cam

xX Chaotic Cam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft(no kidding?), real firearms, cars.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

View PostKWAnOOb, on 16 November 2011 - 06:19 AM, said:

i see its just everyone at my field doesn't even buy green gas cz its expensive and they just use propane and ive seen some kwa pistols run propane and just wanted to know if you use recommend to use it or not

I wouldn't advise it. It cycles your gun so hard that it can start breaking internal components. It will also void your warranty and make your gun smell like the garbage from a greasy biker bar. And you have to manually add silicon oil to it, and for what? Save a few bucks? Yeah, not worth it in my opinion. :gun:

#10 KWAnOOb

KWAnOOb

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Lol save a lot bucks actually. Green gas here is 15.00 and propane is 2.00. And propane lasts longer that's why I guess I'm so tempted to use it.

Thanks for the info though. Wish they would make gbb made for propane.

#11 WarWolf1337

WarWolf1337

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Ok, I'm sorry, I completely forgot about this forum.  Well now i'm back, and the problems with my ATP continue.  I don't know if the O-Ring is missing, because I don't know what I'm even looking for.  If someone could link me to a picture, I'd love to see it, and if they can find a replacement, it would be even better.

#12 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,738 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Here is the o-ring in the Pro Shop: http://store.kwausa....-ring4pack.aspx

When you look at the valve, you should see the black o-ring rather than bare metal.

#13 slips73

slips73

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Actually green gas and propane are the same chemical formula and propane is under just a little more pressure mainly green gas is more of a monopoly of sorts

#14 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

View Postslips73, on 05 January 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

Actually green gas and propane are the same chemical formula and propane is under just a little more pressure mainly green gas is more of a monopoly of sorts

The difference between green gas and straight propane is not just level of pressure...."..........

#15 slips73

slips73

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

green gas is propane with a little bit of silicone added its chemical formula which is C3H8 is the same as green gas, or top gas....there isnt much difference between the two besides the added lubricant for your gun and the dont put the scent in as for propane.....its a myth that they are different

#16 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,738 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

Why do they smell different then?

#17 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

It is true that the base gas that is used for "green gas" is propane and if this is all you have considered then maybe your statement is true.  But lets look at the reality of the 2 propellent gases.  The NS2 system in a KWA GBB has been thoroughly tested with different gas systems over many years during it's inception and it was found that "green gas" and NOT silicone added propane provided the best results.  Now you say that they are all JUST propane and the only discernible difference is the silicone oil and levels of pressure.  If this is true, can you explain to me why a few psi difference between the 2 propellants causes accelerated wear and breakage when straight propane with silicone oil added is used?
And if you do a search in this forum, you will find numerous posts that reports problems when propane is used instead of the KWA recommended green gas.  And these problems are not merely caused by a lack of silicone oil and difference in pressure.
If propane with silicone has worked for you, more power to you.  But unless you are ready to spend your own money to fix broken guns of members on this forum, caused by use of propane as you recommended, don't tell me that they are all the same.

#18 slips73

slips73

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

View Postgcw360, on 06 January 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

Why do they smell different then?

they smell different due to the added scent in the propane to alert in leakage...that is because it is made in america...green gas is imported and does not have the same safety requirements as standard household propane. smell does not discern between chemical compunds

and as for the the breakage discussed on this forum i have used propane dry and also with manually added silicone for over 4 years and have never had a part to break...as for the other people they could have misused or not oiled their guns or simply had a part and i believe you are entitled to your own opion but if you look at the facts it is the same chemical and nothing changes besides a rebranding ....kwa and many other companies will obviously recomend green gas that is branded for airsoft as they make profit off it and as for the difference in psi it is slight and due mainly to the durability of the containers in which the two gases are stored and how much psi the containers can withstand.

and if you really think about it the compainies will make alot more of the selling of green gas as they must import it and sell it at a higher price..than having people go to the store and buy propane from other stores, so alltogether buy saying green gas is the only thing to be used in gas guns ensures that the people who do not do their research will continue to buy overpriced cans of propane and fuel the hold that those companies have over the industry

#19 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,738 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

View Postslips73, on 06 January 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

they smell different due to the added scent in the propane to alert in leakage...that is because it is made in america...green gas is imported and does not have the same safety requirements as standard household propane. smell does not discern between chemical compunds

and as for the the breakage discussed on this forum i have used propane dry and also with manually added silicone for over 4 years and have never had a part to break...as for the other people they could have misused or not oiled their guns or simply had a part and i believe you are entitled to your own opion but if you look at the facts it is the same chemical and nothing changes besides a rebranding ....kwa and many other companies will obviously recomend green gas that is branded for airsoft as they make profit off it and as for the difference in psi it is slight and due mainly to the durability of the containers in which the two gases are stored and how much psi the containers can withstand.

and if you really think about it the compainies will make alot more of the selling of green gas as they must import it and sell it at a higher price..than having people go to the store and buy propane from other stores, so alltogether buy saying green gas is the only thing to be used in gas guns ensures that the people who do not do their research will continue to buy overpriced cans of propane and fuel the hold that those companies have over the industry
Found this in another thread and thought it was interesting:

From Propane101.com

HD-5 Propane

HD5 grade propane is "consumer grade" propane and is the most widely sold and distributed grade of propane in the U.S. market. HD5 is the highest grade propane available to consumers in the United States and is what propane companies ordinarily sell to their customers. What does HD5 propane mean in terms of specification to an ordinary consumer? It means that the propane is suitable and recommended for engine fuel use, which was the original purpose of the HD5 grade propane specification. HD5 spec propane consists of:

* Minimum of 90% propane
* Maximum of 5% propylene - propylene is used in the manufacture of plastics
* Other gases constitute the remainder (iso-butane, butane, methane, etc.)

The HD5 specification is based on "allowable" contents. For instance, 99% propane and 1% propylene is HD5 grade propane the same as 95% propane and 5% propylene is HD5 propane. Although the product consistency and purity is different, both mixtures are considered HD5 propane because they fall within the allowable limits for the product to be named and labeled as such. Consider this: 10,000 gallons of pure propane (100% propane) is classified as HD-5 grade propane.

HD5 Propane Quality - Fact vs. Fiction

Retail propane companies that advertise "highest quality propane" are actually selling propane that conform to the specifications as required to be labeled and sold as HD5 propane. An important fact to note is that there is no higher grade than HD5 propane available for resale through retail propane companies in the United States...HD5 is the highest grade propane available to U.S. consumers. A company stating that their propane is of a higher grade than HD5 is inaccurate in their claim. As presented above, a tank holding pure propane contains what is classified as HD5 propane.

HD-10 Propane and Commercial Propane

HD10 propane is a grade below HD5 and is commonly found in California. HD10 grade propane allows up to 10% propylene in the propane/propylene mixture and is still labeled as "propane". Because propylene is used in creating plastics, HD10 can possibly create problems in some engines and vehicle applications. Propylene can cause engine components to "gum" or stick during operation. However, HD 10 spec propane works just fine in domestic and commercial propane powered appliances. The only problem that may be encountered in using HD-10 propane involves its use as an engine fuel (vehicles, forklifts, etc.).

And for these reasons...I use green gas.

#20 slips73

slips73

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

No offense but I do not see your point as it clearly states that HD 10 will only have problems when used in vehicles and engines and I do not believe that an airsoft gun supplements either, also where is your proof that green gas does NOT have this? it may be that it does not but there is no proof so far that it doesn't and as for gumming up simply cleaning your gun as normal wouldn't allow this and there is no heat or great amounts of pressure generated to gum it up like an engine would have where parts are not easily accessible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users