Emptying Gas From Magazine After Shooting?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ashkin1194

ashkin1194

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hi all--

I've read on multiple airsoft forums thats its good to keep your magazines pressurized when not in use because it keeps the o-rings fresh. But the KWA manual advises to NEVER store your magazine with gas in it. For reference, I have the M9 PTP.

What's the official verdict?

If I'm supposed to empty it after I'm done shooting for the day, is it better to release the gas using the button valve on the magazine or just dry fire the remaining gas out?

Thanks!

#2 niko_gpsy

niko_gpsy

What's a Warranty?

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts
  • Interests:Keeping those damn squirrels from putting their filthy little paws on my peaches in my backyard. Oh, Yes. It's not just a hobby, its a passion!!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

I have never tested that theory so I don't know if it will keep the gaskets and o-ring "fresh". But reason would tell me not to since constant  prolonged pressure in a system would actually cause accelerated wear on the seal. And it also is not safe to leave flammable gas where it can easily discharge and is a fire hazard. So I would go by the manufacturers recommendations.

I always discharge excess gas by pressing the gas release valve and it has not caused any problems. I would avoid dry firing if you can since it will cause unnecessary wear on the internals.

#3 ashkin1194

ashkin1194

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

perfect, thanks for the info

#4 SWAT671

SWAT671

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

Keeping a small amount of pressure in your mags doesn't actually hurt anything. in fact, this prevents condensation from entering the mags which can cause problems and leaks in the future. just keep a small amount in there.

As for discharging the gas, NEVER discharge from the purge button. Doing so can cause your o-rings to dry out. The recommended way to purge gas from the mag is from the fill valve.

#5 SlenderKen

SlenderKen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

I agree with swat.  I keep barely any gas in the mag, so that the O-rings remain fresh (they still fall out T.T) and keeps out condensation.  Don't keep it full, but put like a small spurtz of gas in it.

#6 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

Green gas is mostly propane and highly flammable.  A leaking magazine is a fire hazard and is the only reason to depressurize the magazines I can determine.  I don't.

-- Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users