2 replies to this topic

#1 WiN&LeGeNd

WiN&LeGeNd

Resident Airsoft Geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

I just got my KWA KM16 which I did buy on E-bay. Yes I said E-bay, picked it up brand new for 205, the guy bought it November he said and just never had time to do anything with it, he has excellent user feedback and never used it other than a few times shooting targets. Anyhow, since it has no warranty I opened everything up and took it all apart. Now the mechbox still has the yellow do not remove sticker on it, and I can see that the sticker has never been tampered with at all. But I did notice the it has a ported cylinder. If that is not the oddest thing ever, I don't think the KM16 should have a ported cylinder should it, because of the longer barrel? It is possible he got a dud gearbox, sent it in and they put a M4 gearbox in to replace it but used the wrong gearbox, in which case it would have a M120 and the ported cylinder. But I do believe the gun has the original gearbox it came with for a couple of reasons, first off there was not as single mark or scratch on the push pin by the trigger, nor any paint marks in side any screw head, outisde or inside the gun. I'm talking imaculate, like as in never touched, and I know for fact is authentic KWA, have the box, reciever matched with KWA logo, came in KWA's box M16 box, has two greasy steel high caps(i got one free with it), everything his extremely well made, gearbox uses 8&9mm ball bearings, KWA is the only one to even use a 9mm ball bearing, has their special nozzle, very large trigger contactsh which no one else uses etc... So the gun is a bone stock authentic KWA KM16 and as far as I can tell never opened up or tampered with. Why does it have a ported cylinder with such a long barrel?

Generally from my understanding ported cylinders are for shorter barrels with high ROF such as KWA KM4 series or  G36C series, which I have also worked on as well. I know the KM16 can use 11.1v lipo, which would give it a ridiculous ROF, around 1100~1200 rpm, which I did get for mine btw ;-). And if the port is far enough back there would be plenty of air volume. But I have never seen a stock M16, G3 or even AK gearbox, anything with 425mm or longer barrel come with a ported cylinder stock. Any suggestions from the KWA engineers? Is this a production mistake of sorts or are they supposed to come like that?

Edited by WiN&LeGeNd, 26 December 2008 - 06:26 PM.

#2 Guest_Radix_*

Guest_Radix_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

The KWA KM16 does have a ported cylinder.  We have our own formula to achieve specific performance parameters without using a "0" cylinder.  Each component in a KWA AEG was designed for a specific task or to achieve certain effects within the "system".  We like to balance out the components so to not over stress any individual parts.

There is another post regarding ported piston that you can read to understand the KWA way. :) http://www.kwausa.co...p?showtopic=452

#3 WiN&LeGeNd

WiN&LeGeNd

Resident Airsoft Geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

View PostRadix, on Dec 26 2008, 09:49 PM, said:

The KWA KM16 does have a ported cylinder.  We have our own formula to achieve specific performance parameters without using a "0" cylinder.  Each component in a KWA AEG was designed for a specific task or to achieve certain effects within the "system".  We like to balance out the components so to not over stress any individual parts.

There is another post regarding ported piston that you can read to understand the KWA way. :) http://www.kwausa.co...p?showtopic=452

Thank you very much for the information, that makes me quite happy to hear. That is why I LOVE KWA as a company because they take the time to "egineer" their guns, not copy and hope and pray it works. As an electrical engineer that is something I really look for when researching a product. Keep it going KWA!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users