• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Black Bullet

Black Bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:43 AM

I've heard hundreds of times from the staff that the stock barrel "might surprise you." But how good is it? Can anyone compare its performance (after break in) to barrels like Mad Bull, Prommy, or PDI?

#2 WiN&LeGeNd

WiN&LeGeNd

Resident Airsoft Geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

View PostBlack Bullet, on Dec 16 2008, 10:43 AM, said:

I've heard hundreds of times from the staff that the stock barrel "might surprise you." But how good is it? Can anyone compare its performance (after break in) to barrels like Mad Bull, Prommy, or PDI?

Although I don't have my gun yet, I can tell you what I've learned through asking similar question. The stock barrel is 6.05mm +/-.03 bore, so its on the wider tolerance end of barrels in comparison to EDGI's or DGC's 6.01mm, where the TM standard is 6.08 +/-.03mm. If I'm not mistaken its also tapered or fluted a bit at the end like the Prom. Its made out of brass like most, so I doubt there is any sort of coating inside the barrel like KM or Madbull might have. That is one of the reasons Prometheus barrels are so good is the machining and tolerances and materials used, instead of tryign to coat the inside of the barrel, so over time your not going to see hardly any wear compared to a coated barrel. A tefflon coating may give you slightly better muzzle velocity due to lower friction, but the increase is pretty minor and in my opinion not worth sacrificing durability as the tefflon often starts to chip over time. Stainless is a bit harder than brass, so the Prom will probably be a little more resilliant to scratching in the event you get dirt/sand particles on your bb's. I honestly don't think most would notice going from 6.05 to 6.03, and the 6.03. I think bb quality and hop up quality is much more important after your barrel is at a certain diameter. In fact going to the extreme's like 6.01 could adversely affect the gun if its not cleaned as much, or like in the field small particles on the bb's could cause jams.
   I had a DB custom 6.01 in my SLR 105 and tested it against a Prom 6.03, the Prom had almost the same Precision(how close your result is to the intended result) but with better accuracy(how repeatable your results are), I tested each barrel with two different bucking as well, the results were the same. Whether I got a crappy barrel or not is open to debate, but I noticed that even with AE bb's, which according to airsoftmechanics, are in the top 3 for consistency in roundness, hardness, weight, sheen and free of defect, the DB 6.01 had white plastic from the bb's rubbing the insides of the barrel at the end of it, which was probably the cause of its inconsistency. So in short, yah its a pretty decent barrel stock and with good ammo probably really does not need an upgrade unless your doing sniping only at really high muzzle velocity. Does that help? ;-)

Edited by WiN&LeGeNd, 16 December 2008 - 12:53 PM.

#3 Black Bullet

Black Bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

Thank You. I'll probably put the KWA barrel back in because I was using a Mad Bull.

#4 WiN&LeGeNd

WiN&LeGeNd

Resident Airsoft Geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

View PostBlack Bullet, on Dec 16 2008, 03:49 PM, said:

Thank You. I'll probably put the KWA barrel back in because I was using a Mad Bull.

Don't take my word alone though, try it yourself, maybe set up a target at 150~175 feet on a day with little or no wind. Use some good .25 or .28 gram bb's, take 10 shots from a fixed and supported position (obviously you would adjust your hop up first) and record the data, do that for each barrel and see which has the most Precision and which has the most Accuracy. I'm betting the KWA will at least win in the Accuracy department, which in my opinion is often more important than precision alone.

#5 karMeister

karMeister

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:EAR=((1+APR/n)^n)-1

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

View PostWiN&LeGeNd, on Dec 16 2008, 12:57 PM, said:

Don't take my word alone though, try it yourself, maybe set up a target at 150~175 feet on a day with little or no wind. Use some good .25 or .28 gram bb's, take 10 shots from a fixed and supported position (obviously you would adjust your hop up first) and record the data, do that for each barrel and see which has the most Precision and which has the most Accuracy. I'm betting the KWA will at least win in the Accuracy department, which in my opinion is often more important than precision alone.

you should avoid teflon coated barrels esecially when you have a high ROF AEG like the KWA.

#6 Black Bullet

Black Bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:28 PM

View PostkarMeister, on Dec 16 2008, 08:27 PM, said:

you should avoid teflon coated barrels esecially when you have a high ROF AEG like the KWA.
Are Mad Bulls teflon coated?

#7 Guest_allizard_*

Guest_allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

They are not teflon coated.  Not according to Mr. Madbull himself.  There was thread somewhere in the forum and I e-mail Simon and I got his reply.

#8 W1CKED_TR1X

W1CKED_TR1X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:56 AM

Yup the KWA barrel is a good barrel. Not the smoothest stock barrel, but its pretty tolerant. The only barrels I can think of that you might want to consider if you do change it is the prommy or the PDI. PDI has the smoothest of ALL inner barrels, but the Prommy has the smoothest .03 inner barrel. Also if your playing CQB or probably mid to close range out doors, the stock barrel will do just fine. If your looking to hit someone 100ft+ away ACCURATELY (talking 4-6in grouping from that distance). Then I would probably change to a PDI or Prommy.

Edited by W1CKED_TR1X, 17 December 2008 - 05:58 AM.

#9 Black Bullet

Black Bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:52 AM

Cool! Thanks guys. I just need to break in the stock barrel before I can give my opinion. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users