7 replies to this topic

#1 WiN&LeGeNd

WiN&LeGeNd

Resident Airsoft Geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:00 AM

Hi all, I will be getting a KM16 soon, I'd done quite a bit of research on it and I'm quite impressed with the gearbox, it seems some one actually took the time and ENGINEERED a gearbox, not just cobble one together or copy from another company.
   However, that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. What I have not been able to find a while lot of info on is accuracy. From specs and what I have read its average on the accuracy department. How is the quality of the stock hop up bucking? From reading through the forums and my understanding of gearbox is that it would be a bad idea to mess with replacing the hop up chamber/air nozzle and you can't fit after market buckings in because of tolerance differences. That leaves the only improvements to be had in tight bore barrel and an H-nub with the stock bucking. I'm wondering if anyone has tried an H-nub with a tight bore and if there is any noticeable improvement? Will a standard tight bore barrel fit the smaller KWA hop up chamber?

Edited by WiN&LeGeNd, 15 December 2008 - 06:19 AM.

#2 WiN&LeGeNd

WiN&LeGeNd

Resident Airsoft Geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:29 AM

OR would I be better off replacing the nozzle and hop up chamber to use after market TM parts? If so, do I use the  one piece M16 chamber or the two piece like in the M733(not sure if the TM M4's use one or two piece)?

#3 urban_epidemic

urban_epidemic

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:54 AM

I think the TM two piece hop up is a straight switch out. You will have to replace the nozzle as well.

In order to put in a one piece you will have to do 1 of two things. Either cut out the plating on the bottom of the lower receiver to make room for a one piece hop up, or replace the receiver all together which I think is a waste since it comes with a good metal receiver stock. Either choices may lead to compatibility issues as well. And there's no telling if the one piece will stay put once installed.

Edited by urban_epidemic, 15 December 2008 - 06:56 AM.

#4 WiN&LeGeNd

WiN&LeGeNd

Resident Airsoft Geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

Can I use standard AEG tightbore barrels with my KWA or do I need to order one custom from EDGI? Also, how are the quality of EDGI barrels in comparison to Prom.?

View Posturban_epidemic, on Dec 15 2008, 09:54 AM, said:

I think the TM two piece hop up is a straight switch out. You will have to replace the nozzle as well.

In order to put in a one piece you will have to do 1 of two things. Either cut out the plating on the bottom of the lower receiver to make room for a one piece hop up, or replace the receiver all together which I think is a waste since it comes with a good metal receiver stock. Either choices may lead to compatibility issues as well. And there's no telling if the one piece will stay put once installed.

#5 urban_epidemic

urban_epidemic

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

That I don't know. I have no desire to put in a TBB. The stock barrel is 6.05 +/- .03, and to me that's good enough.

#6 WiN&LeGeNd

WiN&LeGeNd

Resident Airsoft Geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

Have you done anything else to improve upon accuracy or do you find the stock gun is competitive with other companies? I'm using mine for DMR, so I'm looking for good accuracy, most likely I will be using good .25's, maybe some .3's depending on how hot my KM16 turns out once settled. From my experience I think the hop up has a much greater affect on accuracy than the barrel considering its already at 6.05, but as I don't have it in my possession yet I nor have I ever worked with a KWA I couldn't say for sure.

View Posturban_epidemic, on Dec 15 2008, 03:24 PM, said:

That I don't know. I have no desire to put in a TBB. The stock barrel is 6.05 +/- .03, and to me that's good enough.

Edited by WiN&LeGeNd, 15 December 2008 - 12:30 PM.

#7 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

on my personal gun, I found it to be much more accurate than the G&G GR16.

With my digital calipers, the entrance of the barrel (hop-up side) is 6.018mm while the exit side is 6.022mm

mind, the exit (muzzle) side is also crowned

#8 WiN&LeGeNd

WiN&LeGeNd

Resident Airsoft Geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:23 PM

Does KWA make any 450mm barrels? I was looking at the SPR kits, I can get a CA SPR kit for $120, but I would either have to put on a longer muzzle break/use my stock barrel or use a shorter barrel. I'm wondering though if the stock outer barrel will work with the SPR kit, that would be a great solution cost wise, model wise it wouldn't be entirely realistic since the SPR is shorter.

View PostSpiggy, on Dec 15 2008, 03:45 PM, said:

on my personal gun, I found it to be much more accurate than the G&G GR16.

With my digital calipers, the entrance of the barrel (hop-up side) is 6.018mm while the exit side is 6.022mm

mind, the exit (muzzle) side is also crowned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users