M17 Problem (both guns)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Daedalus

Daedalus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Computer games, airsoft (obviously), USP's, GLOCKs, and the H&K VP70.

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hey guys, my name's Jeff, and I'm having some rather annoying problems with two M17's.  

Specifically, whenever I fire a shot, the slide will blow back, and when it returns, part #78 stays out and doesn't lock back like it should (part #94 does), so the remaining gas in the mag shoots out (note that part #78 DOES lock back when you rack the slide manually).  

I took apart the entire assembly and looked through it, yet I didn't see anything wrong, so I put it back together (after much effort, part #78 kept falling down) and the problem is still there.  I do not believe I'm missing any parts, and the slides from both guns work correctly on other, working M17's, so I don't believe it's a problem with the slides.

While I was working on the assembly in the back, I figured out that part #81 is what locks part #78 in, and I'm assuming that when the slide blows back, this part (#81) is pushed down by the slide, which locks part #78 back, thus readying the gun for the next shot.  

I believe that part #81 is not being pushed down when the slide blows back, which is causing part #78 to remain in the fired position (i.e. still pushing the button on the back of the mag which releases the gas).  The spring for part #81 is there, and I believe it is in working order (at least partially), as, again, the part works manually when the slide is racked manually.  

I appreciate any helpful responses; if more explanation (or pictures) are needed, please, don't hesitate to ask.  I'd rather fix this myself than send it in so that I can fix it if it happens again sometime down the road.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:37 PM

Sounds like the disconnector is not engaging, leaving the striker in battery position.

is Part #81 (The Disconnector) rounded on the top or is it flat?

Also, in your particular gun, is it a metal slide or plastic?

#3 Daedalus

Daedalus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Computer games, airsoft (obviously), USP's, GLOCKs, and the H&K VP70.

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

View PostSpiggy, on Dec 16 2008, 01:37 PM, said:

Sounds like the disconnector is not engaging, leaving the striker in battery position.

is Part #81 (The Disconnector) rounded on the top or is it flat?

Also, in your particular gun, is it a metal slide or plastic?

You're exactly right, it's leaving the striker out...  Part 81 is round on top....  The slides on both guns are metal, and were tested (and worked fine) on a gun that worked...  Any ideas on how to get it to work correctly?

#4 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:32 PM

inspect the engine block(the guts in the slide), it may be off level and not contacting the disconnector

#5 Daedalus

Daedalus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

View PostSpiggy, on Dec 17 2008, 04:32 PM, said:

inspect the engine block(the guts in the slide), it may be off level and not contacting the disconnector

Okay...  The slide is pristine...  I'm unsure how to proceed from here, any ideas?

#6 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

remove the slide from the action and watch the spacing between the hammer assembly and the engine block directly above it

#7 CommieHunter

CommieHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:46 AM

Often this is caused because spring number 79 is disconnected from part number 78.  If that is the case, you'll have to pull out the rear hammer housing area and reconnect that spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users