Jump to content


7.4V lipo Vs 9.6 volt Nimh


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Captainhj17

Captainhj17

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Location:Central PA

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

I Was wondering which battery would give me a higher ROF in my Kwa G36c. I currently have a 9.6v 1400mah Nimh battery in the gun. I was looking at my local hobby shop and saw that they have a big selection of Lipo batteries. The one im looking at is a 7.4 volt 1500mAh 25c continuous Lipo battery. Id like to know which is going to give my gun a higher ROF ?

#2 Blacssr@bellsouth.net

Blacssr@bellsouth.net

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

 Captainhj17, on Oct 27 2008, 12:06 PM, said:

I Was wondering which battery would give me a higher ROF in my Kwa G36c. I currently have a 9.6v 1400mah Nimh battery in the gun. I was looking at my local hobby shop and saw that they have a big selection of Lipo batteries. The one im looking at is a 7.4 volt 1500mAh 25c continuous Lipo battery. Id like to know which is going to give my gun a higher ROF ?


7.4 Lipo- 17 bps
9.6 NiMH- 18 bps
11.1 Lipo- 26 bps

These numbers are with stock motor, stock gears, Prometheus TB and Mosfet with caps.

Edited by Blacssr@bellsouth.net, 27 October 2008 - 02:38 PM.


#3 brooklyn468

brooklyn468

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

 Blacssr@bellsouth.net, on Oct 27 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

7.4 Lipo- 17 bps
9.6 Lipo- 18 bps
11.1 Lipo- 26 bps

These numbers are with stock motor, stock gears, Prometheus TB and Mosfet with caps.

9.6 must be a NiMH, but thanks for the report :)

That battery is not reccommended, it may burn out your motor, because the discharge rate ( c ) is too high ( the one you are looking at you is 25c) . The maximum discharge rate you should get is 18c.

#4 Blacssr@bellsouth.net

Blacssr@bellsouth.net

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:37 PM

 brooklyn468, on Oct 27 2008, 06:20 PM, said:

9.6 must be a NiMH, but thanks for the report :)

That battery is not reccommended, it may burn out your motor, because the discharge rate ( c ) is too high ( the one you are looking at you is 25c) . The maximum discharge rate you should get is 18c.


You have got to let this go. The C rating will not burn out your motor!!!! The motor will draw only what it needs when it needs it. LET IT GO!

#5 brooklyn468

brooklyn468

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

It really does matter. It will void the warrenty and is not good at all for your motor.

Allizard said it does, too.

#6 GOLGO 13

GOLGO 13

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Diego/Aomori Japan!/anywhere they send me
  • Interests:Airsoft, Hondas, Guns, Girls anything that takes my time and money pretty much =)

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:47 AM

 brooklyn468, on Oct 27 2008, 02:20 PM, said:

9.6 must be a NiMH, but thanks for the report :)

That battery is not reccommended, it may burn out your motor, because the discharge rate ( c ) is too high ( the one you are looking at you is 25c) . The maximum discharge rate you should get is 18c.
People need to start doing some research about lipos regarding current draw and discharge rates.

The C rating DOES NOT matter if your motor only draws 8 amps, a 25c 2000mah lipo will make no difference than a 20c 2000mah lipo.  

Don't research lipos from airsoft forums. Go to R/c websites. Lipos are old news to those guys and they really know the deal.

Edited by GOLGO 13, 28 October 2008 - 08:49 AM.


#7 brooklyn468

brooklyn468

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

 GOLGO 13, on Oct 28 2008, 11:47 AM, said:

People need to start doing some research about lipos regarding current draw and discharge rates.

The C rating DOES NOT matter if your motor only draws 8 amps, a 25c 2000mah lipo will make no difference than a 20c 2000mah lipo.  

Don't research lipos from airsoft forums. Go to R/c websites. Lipos are old news to those guys and they really know the deal.

My reasoning is sticking. Allizard says 18c is the max. He said that anything above that could damage the gun and will void the warrenty.

However, I like the fight you put up ;)

#8 Guest_allizard_*

Guest_allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

 brooklyn468, on Oct 28 2008, 05:00 PM, said:

My reasoning is sticking. Allizard says 18c is the max. He said that anything above that could damage the gun and will void the warrenty.

However, I like the fight you put up ;)

Hum.. i didn't say 18c is the max.  I said 20c is most I would go.  But Golgo13 isn't wrong either.  The real output rating is amperage.  It just happened most Lipo batteries sold here in US just put a C for discharge rate.

If you look at those Red Alert Lipo batteries, it say's 18A.  We are stocking some new 2000mah 7.4v and the are at 40A.  And I believe motors do draw more than 8 AMP.   honestly I can't say I completely understand the way electric output works.  Someone please fill in on this.

#9 brooklyn468

brooklyn468

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

 allizard, on Oct 28 2008, 07:07 PM, said:

Hum.. i didn't say 18c is the max.  I said 20c is most I would go.  But Golgo13 isn't wrong either.  The real output rating is amperage.  It just happened most Lipo batteries sold here in US just put a C for discharge rate.

If you look at those Red Alert Lipo batteries, it say's 18A.  We are stocking some new 2000mah 7.4v and the are at 40A.  And I believe motors do draw more than 8 AMP.   honestly I can't say I completely understand the way electric output works.  Someone please fill in on this.

Sorry if I miss - quoted :)

#10 Blacssr@bellsouth.net

Blacssr@bellsouth.net

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

 allizard, on Oct 28 2008, 08:07 PM, said:

Hum.. i didn't say 18c is the max.  I said 20c is most I would go.  But Golgo13 isn't wrong either.  The real output rating is amperage.  It just happened most Lipo batteries sold here in US just put a C for discharge rate.

If you look at those Red Alert Lipo batteries, it say's 18A.  We are stocking some new 2000mah 7.4v and the are at 40A.  And I believe motors do draw more than 8 AMP.   honestly I can't say I completely understand the way electric output works.  Someone please fill in on this.


I owned a RC battery matching company many years ago. My cells won several nationals and even powered RC10l to Speed record at the Velodrome in Ca in the late 80s.
I have raced as a team member for Associated and Trinity and well as Buds Racing Products.
I will try to keep this on point and lay the debate to rest.
The higher the discharge rate; the less internal resistance.
The more amps;the more punch.
Think of a higher discharge rate as a bigger garden hose. More power(water) can flow with little effort.
Less resistance = more power on tap.
A motor can only draw so much power under load.
The higher discharge rate would simply feed the motor the power it needs with little effort. If anything, the motor would strain less with higher discharge batteries than lower ones. I believe the whole 18c thing is BS. I have yet to find the KWA approved batteries less than $75-80 when I buy 30C 2200 mah all day long for $ 25.00 bucks.

Edited by Blacssr@bellsouth.net, 03 November 2008 - 03:49 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users