• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wisco15

wisco15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

Ok, so after much research I went ahead and bought the M1911 KWA GBB.  I like the looks, feel and mostly the accuracy of this gun.  I have had two major issues with it so far that have disappointed me.  

*Keep in mind I have three brand new mags and a brand new gun* - about 20 mags through it now trying to figure stuff out.

1. If I load all 14 rounds into the magazine, the catch at the bottom of the spring on the mag locks.  Only one round fires and then nothing will come out if I continue to fire.  Maybe something inside the magwell could be catching the button and making it slide down?  I don't see anything in there.  Every site says 14+1 but I can only do 13 (without the + one) or I have this problem...Anyone else have this problem?

2. Slide not locking back after last round fired. The gas in the mag seems to last through the final round and then some, but the slide won't lock back on empty.

I used to have a KWA 18c that seemed to work flawlessly compared to this m1911.  Wondering if I have a lemon.  I also own a kwa km4s5 (which is a badass gun) that I love.  Kwa has great quality, but the 1911 (out of the box) leaves me shrugging my shoulders..

Edited by wisco15, 19 April 2010 - 07:30 AM.

#2 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

Try to keep it underloaded at 13(12+1) first.  

Now to fixing the slide catch, will it catch up when you cycle it manually with an empty magazine?

#3 wisco15

wisco15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:22 AM

View PostSpiggy, on 19 April 2010 - 10:56 AM, said:

Try to keep it underloaded at 13(12+1) first.  

Now to fixing the slide catch, will it catch up when you cycle it manually with an empty magazine?

It will work when I cycle it manually with an empty clip.

Edited by wisco15, 20 April 2010 - 05:22 AM.

#4 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

What temperature is it when you use your gun?

#5 wisco15

wisco15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

View PostSpiggy, on 20 April 2010 - 10:48 AM, said:

What temperature is it when you use your gun?

The temp has ranged from 50 to 65 degrees here while I've been using it. I haven't noticed a difference in performance between the two extremes.

#6 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

Try warming up the magazine, the 1911A1 magazine is pretty thin so when it's cold there's not much punch to it.

#7 W8 FO ME Y0

W8 FO ME Y0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

your first problem, i'm pretty sure thats with all the m1911a1's nothing you can do to fix it if you load the mag to full capacity i think

#8 wisco15

wisco15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

View PostW8 FO ME Y0, on 21 April 2010 - 05:17 PM, said:

your first problem, i'm pretty sure thats with all the m1911a1's nothing you can do to fix it if you load the mag to full capacity i think

Yeah, which kind of bothers me because all the sites say 14+1.  If it's not going to work right at full capacity then at least say 13+1.  I'm surprised that none of the other reviews or threads I read before buying this gun mentioned that.  It's weird because it doesn't look like there is anything to catch on the magazine inside the magwell to lock it down.  

That and I have a new gun that shoots sub par and won't lock back after the 13 rounds are shot out of it...  This will be the last time I buy a single stack. Not giving up on KWA, though.  They make some quality stuff, and thank you (KWA staff)for your timely support.    

Can anyone offer some advice on any pistols that rock straight out of the box?  I buy new expecting things to work properly, and I have to get rid of this M1911.. Not what I expected.

#9 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

Never had a problem with my M9PTP.  It's a metal slide/frame. grip panels interchange with live ones, and for the most part the series is geared for LE training use.

mags are prevalent too.  

Or if you want to give the 1911 series a second chance, the MK series is coming soon.  Internals are completely overhauled and the externals are made much more functional than the 1911A1.

#10 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,511 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

View PostSpiggy, on 23 April 2010 - 10:57 AM, said:

Never had a problem with my M9PTP. It's a metal slide/frame. grip panels interchange with live ones, and for the most part the series is geared for LE training use.

mags are prevalent too.

Or if you want to give the 1911 series a second chance, the MK series is coming soon. Internals are completely overhauled and the externals are made much more functional than the 1911A1.
Posted Image

He did say soon didn't he????:wub:

#11 wisco15

wisco15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

Those look sweet. I have always liked the 1911 design as well as the history behind the pistol.  The new mark series have a nice tactical look to them.  If the internals are as nice as the externals look I'm on board.  Do we know pricing yet?  Are mags going to be single or double stacked?

How is the accuracy on the M9 PTP?  I used to own a beretta and like the feel.  I bought the 1911 because people were ranting and raving about the accuracy (which is pretty good btw).

#12 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,511 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

View Postwisco15, on 25 April 2010 - 12:14 PM, said:

Those look sweet. I have always liked the 1911 design as well as the history behind the pistol. The new mark series have a nice tactical look to them. If the internals are as nice as the externals look I'm on board. Do we know pricing yet? Are mags going to be single or double stacked?

How is the accuracy on the M9 PTP? I used to own a beretta and like the feel. I bought the 1911 because people were ranting and raving about the accuracy (which is pretty good btw).
The new Mark series is a single stack design. The Formula is a double stack design. :gun:

#13 vernonreaper

vernonreaper

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:HOBBYHOLIC

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

I'm having the same problem, after a few mags my gun wont lock when its out of bb's. I also found that the strength is also weak. Says orignal is 350 fps, now is 300 fps.

#14 phiz

phiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:00 AM

A bit Necro, but I also have the same problem even with 12+1. Apparently when the slide cycles it puts downward pressure on the clip spring and causes it to catch. A combination of the spring being too weak and the slide being too low, hitting the top of the second bb, forcing it down.

At 11+1 it is OK, I would rather give up 3 bbs than be firing gas at someone. But the next model should reall address this defect.

Edit: Also, the actual bb diameter will make a difference. I have measured bb's with calipers and found a fair amount of variation, smaller bbs are more prone to this latch up.

Edited by phiz, 05 November 2010 - 06:02 AM.

#15 Guest_Radix_*

Guest_Radix_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:49 AM

View Postphiz, on 05 November 2010 - 06:00 AM, said:

A bit Necro, but I also have the same problem even with 12+1. Apparently when the slide cycles it puts downward pressure on the clip spring and causes it to catch. A combination of the spring being too weak and the slide being too low, hitting the top of the second bb, forcing it down.

At 11+1 it is OK, I would rather give up 3 bbs than be firing gas at someone. But the next model should reall address this defect.

Edit: Also, the actual bb diameter will make a difference. I have measured bb's with calipers and found a fair amount of variation, smaller bbs are more prone to this latch up.

Is this with the new MK series or the old 1911A1 model?

#16 HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:17 AM

View Postphiz, on 05 November 2010 - 06:00 AM, said:

Your problem would lie with the quality of your BBs. Good BBs should vary no more than .01mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users