6 replies to this topic

#1 Humanalog

Humanalog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

Greetings,

I have been hunting for a nice compact backup pistol with the mag release mounted on the trigger guard.  The Maruzen  P99 seemed to be the only game in town, except that it was nearly impossible to find one locally and the grip of the P99 seemed too short for my paw.

Then, my pal Gorilla pointed me to the KP8 Compact.  I hadn't noticed that this particular little pistol was exactly what I was looking for.  As luck would have it, a local reseller had a nice shiny new NS2 version that he had just brought in for himself, but, being a businessman, he decided to sell it to me.  :D  I checked it out and it was love at first fondle!    He had  already cut off the red tip (Not required in Canada).  :whistle:   The job was not as neat as I would have done myself, but acceptable.  (Sorry, dude!)

Anyway, I rushed home with my new toy and commenced to plinkin'.  Only to discover that it was shooting 6" below the aiming point on my 30 foot basement range.  Was it the hop-up, I wondered? At 10 feet it was still shooting WAY low.  Gaahhhh!  How could this happen to me???   :shocked:

Upon investigation, I realized that the barrel is not centered in the slide, it is actually hard against the bottom edge of the opening.  Which seems to explain why it is shooting so low.  Here is a picture to show what I mean:

Posted Image

My question:  How do I go about centering the barrel in the slide, so's I can get a reasonably accurate shot?  Shouldn't it be more or less centered normally?

Before the chorus starts of "What do you expect from a short-barreled pistol?", I only want to get the impact point close to the aim point and I reckon I can do this simply by centering the barrel in the slide. Hopup adjustment can take care of the rest!

I really like this little pistol  :thumbsup:  and it suits my needs perfectly: it will fit in an empty spot on my vest and the mag release won't accidentally drop my expensive mag in the middle of the woods, like my 1911 MK.IV always did.  The low 310 fps is ideal for CQB and down-and-dirty close in work.   :shiftyninja:

Any constructive advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by Humanalog, 08 March 2010 - 06:49 PM.

#2 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

you may want to return it.  The barrel is not supposed to have that much of a gap in the slide assembly.

#3 Humanalog

Humanalog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

Damn.  That's not what I was hoping to hear.  It will be VERY difficult for me to get a replacement and, although I could mail it in from Canada, it would be intercepted by customs on the way back.  :(

If the barrel is centered in the slide, then the gap is "normal", but I can't figure out how to center it and keep it there.  Could there be a part missing, I wonder?  I must check the exploded parts diagram when I get home.

I will contact the reseller and see what he can do about a replacement, just in case...

Cheers.

View PostSpiggy, on 09 March 2010 - 12:07 PM, said:

you may want to return it.  The barrel is not supposed to have that much of a gap in the slide assembly.

#4 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

let me know how it goes.  If you need, I can see if I can source an outer barrel. As long as those are not verboten by the Canadian customs.

#5 Humanalog

Humanalog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

Thanks, Spiggy!  Parts are OK, as long as they don't constitute a full gun.  Complete guns will vanish into the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) grinder.

View PostSpiggy, on 10 March 2010 - 11:26 AM, said:

let me know how it goes.  If you need, I can see if I can source an outer barrel. As long as those are not verboten by the Canadian customs.

So, I have done some investigation and experimentation.  It appears that the slide lock pin does not push up hard enough on the lower part of the inner barrel assembly.  I did a test by putting several layers of black electrical tape in there as a TEMPORARY shim.  The tape was approximately .020" thick.  This put enough upward pressure on the inner barrel assembly to center the barrel, more or less.  I fired a full magazine to confirm that it would not jam.  The pictures below should make this a little clearer.  I removed the tape after completing this test.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see from the picture above, it is centered MUCH better than before, as seen in the pic in my original post.  The next obvious question is: can this be fixed by replacing the outer barrel and/or the inner barrel assembly, or should I just return the gun and get a new one, as Spiggy originally suggested?

Cheers.

#6 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:56 AM

I'd look at returning or replacing that barrel.

The barrel is supposed to be pointed slant for a reason, it aides in the hopup

#7 Humanalog

Humanalog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks, Spiggy! That's why I didn't try to make the shim permanent: because I didn't know enough about the design and what effect a shim would have.  ;)  The reseller is ordering a full replacement, so we should be able to get this sorted.  I'll keep you up to date on my progress.

View PostSpiggy, on 15 March 2010 - 10:56 AM, said:

I'd look at returning or replacing that barrel.

The barrel is supposed to be pointed slant for a reason, it aides in the hopup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users