dobey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:53 AM

Some detailed pics of my amplifier:

Posted Image

Nothing very original I will admit, but it works great, and is threaded for 12mm so I don't have an adapter on the gun:

Posted Image

Picture of the cone before I pressed it in:

Posted Image

I tried doing a sound test video but the camera auto adjusts the sound, making them both sound similar, you can see that they are not by watching the decibel meter, but the video does not do the MP7 justice:

#23 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

You'll need a longer inner barrel, the muzzle needs to seat around the base of the amplifier's cone.  Works better if you get a tapered endmill and run it into the muzzle for a deep crown.

#24 Hitman07

Hitman07

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Interests:YouTube, Airsoft/Paintball, and Computers

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

View PostSpiggy, on 30 April 2010 - 08:08 AM, said:

You'll need a longer inner barrel, the muzzle needs to seat around the base of the amplifier's cone.  Works better if you get a tapered endmill and run it into the muzzle for a deep crown.

That is cool I like the amp

#25 dobey

dobey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

My cone is pressed in, I just copied the design from a popular brand I saw on the internet.  I left about 1/2 inch from the end of the inner barrel to the beginning of the cone but if it will work better touching I just need to press it in further, I will give it a try.

#26 dobey

dobey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

I finally took my MP7 apart completely today to clean it out after a particularly dusty game.  As a machinist I am particularly interested in the details that most users never look at or notice, and I have to say I am impressed.  This thing is put together better than any airsoft gun I have worked on before.  

The pins have the proper fit, the castings are superb, details like the blind holes for the set screws to seat in are amazing to find on a piece that costs so little.  I have no idea how you guys are making money with this thing but it is a piece of art.

I need a picture still but while I had it apart I cut the ejection port side selector lever off and put the nub in the lathe to turn round.  I am right handed, will never sell my gun, and was tired of the thing poking me in the hand on full auto. I will get a pic up soon.

#27 Hitman07

Hitman07

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

View Postdobey, on 02 May 2010 - 02:47 PM, said:

I finally took my MP7 apart completely today to clean it out after a particularly dusty game.  As a machinist I am particularly interested in the details that most users never look at or notice, and I have to say I am impressed.  This thing is put together better than any airsoft gun I have worked on before.  

The pins have the proper fit, the castings are superb, details like the blind holes for the set screws to seat in are amazing to find on a piece that costs so little.  I have no idea how you guys are making money with this thing but it is a piece of art.

I need a picture still but while I had it apart I cut the ejection port side selector lever off and put the nub in the lathe to turn round.  I am right handed, will never sell my gun, and was tired of the thing poking me in the hand on full auto. I will get a pic up soon.

Think KWA said it cost half a million to design

#28 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

View PostHitman07, on 02 May 2010 - 03:14 PM, said:

Think KWA said it cost half a million to design
Over Million And Half, that's $1.5M, aka $1,500,000 US Dollars

#29 Hitman07

Hitman07

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

View PostSpiggy, on 03 May 2010 - 09:10 AM, said:

Over Million And Half, that's $1.5M, aka $1,500,000 US Dollars

WOW  :shocked: wish I had that much money

#30 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

So kids, Think about that big number when you guys want shiny new guns.  That's a lot of money, and you need to sell a lot of guns to break even

#31 dobey

dobey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:16 AM

Well I managed to break the plastic cam that adjusts the hop up (part 14) by over tightening the set screw that holds it onto it's shaft.  Completely my fault but wanted to let people know so they don't suffer the same fate.  

I will be machining a new one today from aluminum and I think I just might play around with the cams offset and shape to modify its adjustment profile.  I use 0.28 bb's and one click is just a bit under hopped and the next click was just a tad over hopped so I will make a flatter profile on the cam and see what happens.  I read a very cool old-school (circa 1940's so the term is not being misused) article on cutting cam lobes on the mill with the rotary table and have been looking for an excuse to try it out, maybe I overtightened that screw subconsciously.  :innocent:

#32 Hitman07

Hitman07

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

View Postdobey, on 10 May 2010 - 04:16 AM, said:

Well I managed to break the plastic cam that adjusts the hop up (part 14) by over tightening the set screw that holds it onto it's shaft.  Completely my fault but wanted to let people know so they don't suffer the same fate.  

I will be machining a new one today from aluminum and I think I just might play around with the cams offset and shape to modify its adjustment profile.  I use 0.28 bb's and one click is just a bit under hopped and the next click was just a tad over hopped so I will make a flatter profile on the cam and see what happens.  I read a very cool old-school (circa 1940's so the term is not being misused) article on cutting cam lobes on the mill with the rotary table and have been looking for an excuse to try it out, maybe I overtightened that screw subconsciously.  :innocent:
Lol dobey you are a cool guy everytime I read one of your post makes me want to meet you

#33 dobey

dobey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

Heh next time you are in upstate NY let me know and I will treat you to a day of airsoft!

I made the new cam, here is the profile I decided on.  It is only slightly different than the stock one, and was cut every 10 degrees on the mill.

Posted Image

This is the little guy after the lathe work was done, I would make a cut, rotate it 10 degrees, set the depth and make another cut, until I was all the way around.

Posted Image

All finished and next to its broken counterpart:

Posted Image

Fits like a glove and works fine!

Posted Image

And a pic of the chopped up ejection side selector switch I promised a few posts up:

Posted Image

Now I need to break something else so I don't get bored.

#34 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

View Postdobey, on 10 May 2010 - 04:16 AM, said:

:P If you had a 4-Jaw Chuck, you could've cheated.

#35 dobey

dobey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

What would be the fun in that!  When I first started planing how I would cut it I didn't know if it would be round or egg shaped, after some thinking I decided to stick with the wisdom of the original engineers, and just tweak the profile a bit.

Edited by dobey, 10 May 2010 - 10:49 AM.

#36 dobey

dobey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

I think this still counts as a modification to my MP7 :P

It just happens to fit so perfectly into my WA2000 build that it is going into it permanently.  Of course it will be set to semi auto only, and I will be shopping for a new MP7 for my own use again, but check out the beginning stages of my GBBR WA2000 'powered by KWA' (any objections to me engraving that on the gun?):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still lots to do like a fake WA2000 magazine that will function as the mag well for the shorty mags and trigger linkage etc, hope to have it shooting in a few days.

#37 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,511 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

View Postdobey, on 27 May 2010 - 11:47 AM, said:

I think this still counts as a modification to my MP7 :P

It just happens to fit so perfectly into my WA2000 build that it is going into it permanently. Of course it will be set to semi auto only, and I will be shopping for a new MP7 for my own use again, but check out the beginning stages of my GBBR WA2000 'powered by KWA' (any objections to me engraving that on the gun?):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still lots to do like a fake WA2000 magazine that will function as the mag well for the shorty mags and trigger linkage etc, hope to have it shooting in a few days.
You sir are an artist!!!:notworthy:

#38 Guest_allizard_*

Guest_allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

Brilliant!!

#39 tiger

tiger

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:31 AM

The man is a maniac!!! :clap: :dance:

#40 jotohomomoto

jotohomomoto

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:41 AM

@dobey
OMG!!! what is that gun going to be?
Also, what does that "cone" thing do? The cone makes the gun sound louder/meaner? :shocked: Whenever I'm in an engagement during a game, everyone knows who is firing at them: "...the guy with that GAS mp7!!!"  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users