Jump to content


FPS using different BB weights...


  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 piskosh

piskosh

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

I just recently got my KG36C and would like to know what the FPS is using the different BB weights.

BB WEIGHT                         FPS
.20 gram                         Aprox 380-400
.23                                 ?
.25                                 ?
.28                                 ?
.30                                 ?

Also, What are your favorite BB's to use with your KG36C(while keeping it entirely stock, no upgrades at all) for the best accuracy and distance.

Thanks for your comments and recommendations.

#2 Spiggy

Spiggy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:City of Industry
  • Country:

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

You'll need a chrono to determine this for sure.  Different bbs come in different grades and will behave differently based off the configuration of your rifle.

As a KWA staff member, I do use KSC branded bbs in both .2 and .25 for plinkage.   But that doesn't say much, as I've used countless brands and weights over the years.

For sure though, out of the box configuration of a KG36 is more prone to like .25gr bbs.

#3 crouchshot25

crouchshot25

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Richmond, VA

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

the typical fps to bb weight ratio is 20 fps per .05 bb gram so if your gun shoots 400 with .20s it should shoot around 370-380 with .25s. 350 fps with .30s so on and so forth. the more you go up in bb weight the more accurate your gun will be and the farther the bb will travel.

#4 piskosh

piskosh

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:18 PM

View Postcrouchshot25, on 16 February 2010 - 12:21 PM, said:

the typical fps to bb weight ratio is 20 fps per .05 bb gram so if your gun shoots 400 with .20s it should shoot around 370-380 with .25s. 350 fps with .30s so on and so forth.


Thanks for the imput guys..... quick question about your last statement "the more you go up in bb weight the more accurate your gun will be and the farther the bb will travel."  So with a heavier BB you also get more distance? is that correct?

#5 piskosh

piskosh

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:20 PM

View PostSpiggy, on 15 February 2010 - 12:48 PM, said:

You'll need a chrono to determine this for sure.  Different bbs come in different grades and will behave differently based off the configuration of your rifle.

As a KWA staff member, I do use KSC branded bbs in both .2 and .25 for plinkage.   But that doesn't say much, as I've used countless brands and weights over the years.

For sure though, out of the box configuration of a KG36 is more prone to like .25gr bbs.


Then .25gr BBS it is....Thank you for your input....

#6 Guest_camowolf_*

Guest_camowolf_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

Yes, the heavier the bb is, the more resistant it will be to wind and other variables. The only downside is that you will have less fps, so you will need more hop.

I use .25 excel bios.

#7 snoopy

snoopy

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

View Postpiskosh, on 15 February 2010 - 12:19 PM, said:

I just recently got my KG36C and would like to know what the FPS is using the different BB weights.

BB WEIGHT                         FPS
.20 gram                         Aprox 380-400
.23                                 ?
.25                                 ?
.28                                 ?
.30                                 ?

Also, What are your favorite BB's to use with your KG36C(while keeping it entirely stock, no upgrades at all) for the best accuracy and distance.

Thanks for your comments and recommendations.

400 FPS with .20g BBs =  370 FPS with .25g BBs = 330 FPS with .30g BBs.

FPS quoted are +/-5 FPS

#8 Spiggy

Spiggy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:City of Industry
  • Country:

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

^ dynamics change as you change parts and ammunition in the gun, do not follow that as a definitive guide.

400fps with a .2g bb exits at roughly 1.5 joules of energy
370fps with a .25g bb exits at roughly 1.6 joules of energy

While the BB is decelerated, the exit energy is now higher than before.  More hit power behind it.  That is why you either chrono with your use ammunition, or everyone adheres to energy rules.

#9 snoopy

snoopy

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

I wonder what the FPS values are for the different weight of BBs after 100 feet. I wonder how it compares to the initial velocity and what the percentage of loss would be. Hmmmmmm.... :jump:

#10 Spiggy

Spiggy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:City of Industry
  • Country:

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

grab a calculator and have a seat  :withstupid:

I need to spend a day doing that as well.   I tell usually tell CQB and paintball places this since many of them will tell people to use heavier bbs. In reality, this just cheats the chrono and creates a dangerous situation for other players.

#11 karMeister

karMeister

    Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a small hole under a rock =P
  • Interests:EAR=((1+APR/n)^n)-1
  • Country:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:06 AM

View Postcrouchshot25, on 16 February 2010 - 12:21 PM, said:

the typical fps to bb weight ratio is 20 fps per .05 bb gram so if your gun shoots 400 with .20s it should shoot around 370-380 with .25s. 350 fps with .30s so on and so forth. the more you go up in bb weight the more accurate your gun will be and the farther the bb will travel.


heavier bbs will NOT travel farther.

#12 BigBabyMoses06

BigBabyMoses06

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

Can you provide evidence of this?
.25s go much farther for me than .2s
.3s go even farther than .25s in a higher FPS weapon.

Edited by BigBabyMoses06, 25 February 2010 - 12:31 AM.


#13 Jonas888

Jonas888

    Specialist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norway
  • Interests:Airsoft, fitness, custom AEG's
  • Country:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:43 AM

View PostBigBabyMoses06, on 25 February 2010 - 12:31 AM, said:

Can you provide evidence of this?
.25s go much farther for me than .2s
.3s go even farther than .25s in a higher FPS weapon.

Did you fix the hop-up when you went from .20 to .25 ?
Higher FPS weapon speaks for itself.

#14 BigBabyMoses06

BigBabyMoses06

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:32 AM

View PostJonas888, on 25 February 2010 - 01:43 AM, said:

Did you fix the hop-up when you went from .20 to .25 ?
Higher FPS weapon speaks for itself.

Yes, I did.

#15 karMeister

karMeister

    Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a small hole under a rock =P
  • Interests:EAR=((1+APR/n)^n)-1
  • Country:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:38 AM

View PostBigBabyMoses06, on 25 February 2010 - 12:31 AM, said:

Can you provide evidence of this?
.25s go much farther for me than .2s
.3s go even farther than .25s in a higher FPS weapon.

You dont need evidence, its plain physics.

Certain FPS need the right BB weight to play the hop right cause if its too light its going to stray if its too heavy it drops sooner.

Have you played with a slingshot? Compare a plastic marble with a glass marble and a bearing.

#16 snoopy

snoopy

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:13 AM

View PostkarMeister, on 25 February 2010 - 09:38 AM, said:

You dont need evidence, its plain physics.

Certain FPS need the right BB weight to play the hop right cause if its too light its going to stray if its too heavy it drops sooner.

Have you played with a slingshot? Compare a plastic marble with a glass marble and a bearing.

Actually, evidence would be nice for people who aren't into physics. By evidence I mean showing what the behavior of BBs do given set conditions.

Slingshots do not have hop.

#17 karMeister

karMeister

    Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a small hole under a rock =P
  • Interests:EAR=((1+APR/n)^n)-1
  • Country:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:20 AM

View Postsnoopy, on 25 February 2010 - 10:13 AM, said:

Actually, evidence would be nice for people who aren't into physics. By evidence I mean showing what the behavior of BBs do given set conditions.

Slingshots do not have hop.


the slingshot was the example, hop or no hop heavier means more accurate but drop faster.

#18 Spiggy

Spiggy

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:City of Industry
  • Country:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

View PostkarMeister, on 25 February 2010 - 09:38 AM, said:

You dont need evidence, its plain physics.

Certain FPS need the right BB weight to play the hop right cause if its too light its going to stray if its too heavy it drops sooner.

Have you played with a slingshot? Compare a plastic marble with a glass marble and a bearing.
It's a sound theory, but once you invite hopup into the mix, you change the way the projectile moves.

It's not all impossible to see .3's traveling over 100 yards, as evidenced on many Long Range Barrel guns

#19 karMeister

karMeister

    Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a small hole under a rock =P
  • Interests:EAR=((1+APR/n)^n)-1
  • Country:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

View PostSpiggy, on 25 February 2010 - 10:57 AM, said:

It's a sound theory, but once you invite hopup into the mix, you change the way the projectile moves.

It's not all impossible to see .3's traveling over 100 yards, as evidenced on many Long Range Barrel guns

Yep the hop does add some lift given that you have the right bb weight and FPS cause certain FPS will do better with certain bb weights.

How hard were you shooting those .3s that they reached 100+ yards?

#20 snoopy

snoopy

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

View PostkarMeister, on 25 February 2010 - 10:20 AM, said:

the slingshot was the example, hop or no hop heavier means more accurate but drop faster.

300 FPS chronoed with .20g BBs


Hop turned off....

Use .20g BBs and shoot at a target 30 feet away with the gun braced

Use .43g BBs and shoot at a target 30 feet away with the gun braced

See which bbs are closer to the point of aim.

.43g BBs will drop faster and will be less likely to be closer to where the point of aim thus less accurate. In this case, the heavier the BB...the less accurate.
-----------------------

300 FPS chronoed with .20g BBs

Hop set for .20g BBs, use .20g BBs and shoot at a target 30 feet away with the gun braced.

Hop set for .43g BBs, use .43g BBs and shoot at a target 30 feet away with the gun braced.

See which bbs are closer to the point of aim.

In this case, both the .43g and .20g BBs will reach the intended target with similar accuracy depending on how much the wind is blowing. If there's no wind. Accuracy will be similar at that range. With the hop on and no wind, the heavier .43g BBs  will drop faster but offers the same accuracy with .20g BBs.

------------------

These examples do not reflect typical outdoor gaming conditions. It does hold true for CQB engagements. These are just a couple of cases where a lighter bb will either be more accurate or just as accurate as a heavier bb.

There are other factors that contribute to accuracy such as the actual BB diameter deviation, surface, and consistency. In this case, the hop bucking and barrels are constants.

Typically, people do not use .43g BBs for anything other than sniping or target shooting.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users