2 replies to this topic

#1 papabois

papabois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Playing with toys.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

Hi all.  I going to give a how-to, on how I made myself a flash-hider.  I had some composite hobbying scraps, that I'm building the flash-hider from.  So the whole part will be made from carbon fiber.

The reason for the build, is that the one that came stock on my gun, was cast very out-of-round.  I fixxed it's affect on the BB's trajectory, by drilling out the ID big enough, to ensure that the BB does not hit it.  Still, it's a flawed part on my gun, so off ya git!

The first part is the threaded adapter.  I made this by getting a 12mm socket cap bolt, and applying mould release agents all over it.  Next, I painted a mixture of grahite-powder-enriched epoxy resin, onto the threads.  When that tacked-up (but still soft enough to put a fingernail mark into), I wrapped the area with uni-directional carbon fiber tow.  When that tacked-up, it went into the oven for a post-cure.  The heat will make the bolt (used as a mandrel), to expand ever-so-slightly, to make removal of the composite part easier when all is cooled.  This will make a very strong, inner-threaded ring when removed from the bolt.

I will continue tomorrow, when the outer tube for the flash-hider is dry enough to handle.

Attached Files

Edited by papabois, 20 January 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#2 papabois

papabois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Playing with toys.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Got the tube done.  This was made by taking a 1/8" steel rod, and epoxy-ing it into a chunk of cylindrical pink foam.  When dry, it was chucked-up into a drill, and turned down with a sanding block, into a nice foam rod.  I then laid the wetted carbon fiber cloth, over the foam mandrel, and when dry, remove all the foam by submerging it in acetone (lost foam method).  I fancied it up a bit with the dremel, by putting some cut outs in it.  Further detailing might take place (depending on mood).  

The next step was to thread on the first carbon fiber threaded ring.  Then, the outside of the ring (and the inside of the flash tube, were wetted with epoxy resin.  The tube was slid into place, and was exactly aligned by putting a 6mm carbon fiber rod into the barrel, then sliding on a cone shape to keep everything centered.

All I have to do now, is to take a sponge and apply some blackened epoxy resin to the part, to give it a textured finish.  Some coats of matt black paint will finish it off.

So, if your flash-hider was made crooked, and yer feeling like making something, hopefully this will inspire you to do similar.  

Better pics to come.

Attached Files

#3 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,300 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

View Postpapabois, on 22 January 2010 - 05:17 PM, said:

Got the tube done. This was made by taking a 1/8" steel rod, and epoxy-ing it into a chunk of cylindrical pink foam. When dry, it was chucked-up into a drill, and turned down with a sanding block, into a nice foam rod. I then laid the wetted carbon fiber cloth, over the foam mandrel, and when dry, remove all the foam by submerging it in acetone (lost foam method). I fancied it up a bit with the dremel, by putting some cut outs in it. Further detailing might take place (depending on mood).

The next step was to thread on the first carbon fiber threaded ring. Then, the outside of the ring (and the inside of the flash tube, were wetted with epoxy resin. The tube was slid into place, and was exactly aligned by putting a 6mm carbon fiber rod into the barrel, then sliding on a cone shape to keep everything centered.

All I have to do now, is to take a sponge and apply some blackened epoxy resin to the part, to give it a textured finish. Some coats of matt black paint will finish it off.

So, if your flash-hider was made crooked, and yer feeling like making something, hopefully this will inspire you to do similar.

Better pics to come.
Very clever! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users