#21 jotohomomoto

jotohomomoto

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

View PostMP7dad, on 08 February 2010 - 06:27 PM, said:

Along the spirit of Spiggy's recommendation and some of the other post in this or other treads, here's what I did to my KP45 after disassembling and cleaning it thoroughly.

1) I noted where all the finish had been worn which indicated points of contact/friction between moving parts
2) Starting on these points I started by hand polishing using Flitz (sold for polishing and protecting real steel but still safe on plastics and provides corrosion protection). There was an improvement in the "feel" of the surface polished, i.e. it felt smoother. However, the hand polishing was pretty laborious and wasn't smoothing out some of the imperfections I was coming across on the inside of the slide so I decided to break out my trusty Dremel with felt polishing tip.
WARNING - SEE RULES REGARDING UPGRADES AND MODIFICATIONS IN SUBFORUM OF SAME NAME- USE A DREMEL AT YOUR OWN RISK
3) I proceeded to polish with the dremel and Flitz all interior surfaces of the slide I could reasonably get to. A couple places I had to swith to a 320 grit finish plastic wheel where I needed a little more removed and then finished with felt with Flitz.

Now, although I wouldn't call the finish of the slide rough to begin with, it wasn't by any means smooth, this became extremely evident as I completed the first area and compared it to the original finish.

4) I also polished all of the areas of the frame that makes physical contact with the slide.

Sorry, family just got home, time to serve up dinner, I'll come back and edit post later...

so how did everything work out?

#22 MP7dad

MP7dad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

View Postjotohomomoto, on 09 February 2010 - 07:41 PM, said:

so how did everything work out?

See edit above for what its worth, thanks for asking!

#23 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

View PostMP7dad, on 08 February 2010 - 06:27 PM, said:

I was considering using some Moly based dry lube that I was buying for a Sig Mosq. on the KP45's slide but I don't think that will be necessary. I do agree with Spiggy that a lubricant (at least an oil based one is not needed for the slide).

I'll come back and make some additional comments after I've used it some and done a couple more teardowns and maintenance cleaning and polishing of the KP45....

Another user on the forum by "box goblin" dry lubes some of his stuff, but I haven't seen him sign on recently.  I hope he can chime in. I'd try this, but I'm kinda swamped with a bunch of projects.

#24 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

View PostSpiggy, on 11 February 2010 - 06:25 PM, said:

Another user on the forum by "box goblin" dry lubes some of his stuff, but I haven't seen him sign on recently. I hope he can chime in. I'd try this, but I'm kinda swamped with a bunch of projects.
BG is a smart dude I trust what he posts. :gun:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users