• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tiki2777

tiki2777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

I just bought my brand new M226 PTP and have now had it for about 4 days. I haven't done anything to this gun but lube it and use it (works perfectly on green gas). But now the sights are extremely loose (front and rear) to the point wear I can slide them off with minimal effort (the rear sight slides around very easily). So what should I do?
Glue them possibly or something else?

#2 btieleman

btieleman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

I recently acquired a KWA M226 myself and, though I've not yet encountered this problem, I can see it happening -- especially with the drop-leg holster I have.  (I have to work that out)

My suggestion would be a little bit of *BLUE* (removable "242") loc-tite threadlocker applied with the tip of a toothpick.  It's available at any hardware store.

I'd be reluctant to use glue, in case your sight alignment is out after you affix the sight.  

Make sure the sight dovetail and the slot into which it fits are very clean and free of any lube/silicone, or the loc-tite won't adhere.

Best of luck.

#3 tiki2777

tiki2777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

thanks I'll try that, since a lot of people use it on real firearms why not?
BTW, what drop leg holster do you have?

#4 btieleman

btieleman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

Exactly my thoughts/experience.  Also, the slide and sight blades on the M226 are metal, so there shouldn't be any plastic-eating concerns as regards the loc-tite.

I'd actually like to mod the rear sight to duplicate the "dot the I" configuration of the genuine article.

I have an inexpensive UTG "Special Ops Universal" holster.  I notice the front sight blade drags a bit on the draw if I don't apply mindful rearward pressure.  That, and the rear sight (expectedly) rubs a bit at the top while running.  I anticipate that this could loosen the blade(s) at some point, but no problem, and nothing a little loc-tite can't cure.

I'm extremely pleased with the M226 thus far.  Mine benefited greatly from a good cleaning (especially slide rails/slots) and lube (lightest viscosity spray silicone -- the thick stuff included with it just gummed it up terribly).  Given high quality feed (Airsoft Elite .25's), it's shooting and cycling like a champ.  Two magfuls no sweat on a single green gas fill.  

Speaking of which I notice that some attention needs to be paid when loading the mag.  If any BBs inadvertently "single-stack" (vertically) instead of "double stack" (diagonally) as they should, it's difficult to reclaim that space without unloading the mag up to that point and re-stacking them.  The tolerances are tight, and I see that as a good thing.

I hope the loc-tite straightens your sight problem out.  Again, best of luck.

#5 tiki2777

tiki2777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

Yea since I live in a really cold area in the winter, when it got here, it was so dry you could hear it. I actually lubed it three times with two different lubricants (i was skeptical at first but it worked great) to make it cycle more smoothly and so the cylinder won't crack in the cold.

Tommorrow I'll post my results hopefully about those sights.

EDIT: It worked great, but it left some very tiny blemishes near the sights that I did my best to cover up.
Srry no pics but at least i can aim now

Edited by tiki2777, 19 January 2010 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users