18 replies to this topic

#1 bobcoburn

bobcoburn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:50 AM

i recently went out and bought a drop leg holster and an extra mag for my m1911a1 but in the first game i played the mag fell out because the release button keeps getting pressed by the holster. has anyone had the same problem and know of any cures. it cost me about $40 for that mag and i really like the holster but cant risk losing mags everytime i use it. any fix will do even if it involves a lil tape lol.

#2 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,300 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

View Postbobcoburn, on 18 November 2009 - 06:50 AM, said:

i recently went out and bought a drop leg holster and an extra mag for my m1911a1 but in the first game i played the mag fell out because the release button keeps getting pressed by the holster. has anyone had the same problem and know of any cures. it cost me about $40 for that mag and i really like the holster but cant risk losing mags everytime i use it. any fix will do even if it involves a lil tape lol.
Can you send a picture?

#3 Guest_allizard_*

Guest_allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:35 AM

I went through the same pain many years ago and I lost 2 very expensive Western Arms mag.  at $55 each + shipping.  

The problem isn't about the gun, it's your holster. Since then, the only sure way not to loose mag is use a hard shell holster like Safariland, BHI Serpa or Bladetech.  Serpa probably is your cheapest solution.

#4 karMeister

karMeister

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:EAR=((1+APR/n)^n)-1

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

+1 on the Blackhawk Serpa!  :thumbsup:

#5 bobcoburn

bobcoburn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:37 AM

thanks lads they are pretty cool but wow they are expensive, is there no form of strap that goes over the grip to hold the mag in place or am i gonna have to bodge one together for myself? or is there a pistol that has a mag release catch that wont be pressed by a holster, maybe it is indented into the grip rather than poking out like my 1911?

Edited by bobcoburn, 19 November 2009 - 03:40 AM.

#6 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:38 AM

Sounds like you have a holster problem.

I'd look at a hard holster.  Those soft ones are for revolvers.

Other than that, the KP series is the only gun in the series that doesn't have a Button-Type magazine release, but rather a depression lever.

#7 johnz

johnz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

I have had the exact same problem with 2 different style holsters. The cheap fix was to wrap a piece of double sided velcro once around the grip and using a second strip that goes from this wrap at a 90 degree angle around the bottom of the mag, kinda like a, "chinstrap". Very hokie and a pain to change mags fast, but we haven't lost another mag since. This type of velcro is available at Graybar Electric supply and is commonly used to wrap wire bundles instead of tie-wraps

#8 Guest_allizard_*

Guest_allizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:06 PM

These hard holster are expensive because they are for professionals.   The locking system is hook on the trigger and no need for a strap to go over the grip.  Once the gun goes into the holster they are securely fasten.  You have to depress a level on the holster to pull the pistol out.

Personally I think it's well worth the investment.

#9 bobcoburn

bobcoburn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:21 AM

thanks lads all this has been very helpful, i think im gonna go with the cheap idea with the velcro for now and see how it goes and if it works with no issues then ill probably stick with it. as for the hard holsters they look awesome and im sure are well worth the money i just dont really have it to spend is all like the gun only cost me about $100 so double that on a holster would seem a lil much i might get one in the future if i have the money to spare though.

any chance of a picture of the velcro setup you have johnz? cheers

#10 johnz

johnz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

View Postbobcoburn, on 21 November 2009 - 03:21 AM, said:

thanks lads all this has been very helpful, i think im gonna go with the cheap idea with the velcro for now and see how it goes and if it works with no issues then ill probably stick with it. as for the hard holsters they look awesome and im sure are well worth the money i just dont really have it to spend is all like the gun only cost me about $100 so double that on a holster would seem a lil much i might get one in the future if i have the money to spare though.

any chance of a picture of the velcro setup you have johnz? cheers

#11 johnz

johnz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

Here goes hope the attachment goes through.

#12 johnz

johnz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

Sorry, tried to send JPEG attachments, but they did not go through, The company that makes the velcro is,"Panduit". Hope that helps, I'm gonna try attaching the pix again.

#13 bobcoburn

bobcoburn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

cheers for tryin mate heres my email if you wanna try and send the pic to me direct.

#14 Spiggy

Spiggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:41 PM

Bianchi Accumold 7105 in #15

I have a #11 and #14 for the applicable firearms, they're really well made if you're looking for a solid, but flexible belt holster.

#15 Xaelk

Xaelk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

View Postbobcoburn, on 18 November 2009 - 06:50 AM, said:

this might help you out...might be the velcro setup mentioned earlier...

http://www.airsoftgi...roducts_id=4384

#16 bobcoburn

bobcoburn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:26 AM

thats is spot on mate cheers

#17 Xaelk

Xaelk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

View Postbobcoburn, on 10 December 2009 - 04:26 AM, said:

thats is spot on mate cheers

glad i could help =)

#18 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

I bought a drop leg for my Mark IV and did extensive mods to the holster to try to prevent this.  I added a pad to the interior to space the holster from the mag release button and even put in a block at the bottom of the holster to hold the gun up.  Sad to say nothing worked so I am not sporting a new Blackhawd Serpa carbon fiber holster.  

Happily it mounted directly to the drop leg platform I had purchased so all is well in the world!

#19 compaddict

compaddict

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:18 AM

I took a knife and cut out the offending part that touched the release.
Worked okay for my holster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users