Mega arms lm4 barrel nut removal, how to?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Capitol_Eric

Capitol_Eric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Playing Live shows, Metal, Recording Music, Cooking, Guns and Military

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

I bought the barrel nut tool and removed the gas block. I put the gun in a vice, put all my strength on my wrench (im fit and workout regularly) and i cannot get it off! This is a test from the gods themselves it seems! King arthur needs to get his bottom over here and pull this out! How do i get this out?

#2 Morxis

Morxis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

You will need to apply heat to the barrel nut also. That should soften up the thread lock enough to start it turning. I just used a hair dryer.

#3 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

Not sure what the Mega Arms upper receiver is made of but guys have destroyed the LM4 upper receiver just trying to get the muzzle device off.  The receiver is several parts, not a monolithic part like the M4.  If it's Locktited you'll need high heat to break the seal.

-- Chuck

#4 Elx3248

Elx3248

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

actually chuck the mega arms mkm has a 1 piece upper, unlike lm4.

#5 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,736 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Chuck S, on 08 August 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

Not sure what the Mega Arms upper receiver is made of but guys have destroyed the LM4 upper receiver just trying to get the muzzle device off.  The receiver is several parts, not a monolithic part like the M4.  If it's Locktited you'll need high heat to break the seal.

-- Chuck
In addition to what Chuck said, the initial turn of the barrel nut MAY require a tap from an appropriate sized hammer on the armorer's wrench to break the loctite seal on the threads....TRY ONLY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

#6 crowley

crowley

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

I dont get it why they loctite a barrelnut!!

Most WA,WE AR15 And ofcourse the RS has NO Glue in the Barrelnut, theres no need for it!!

And chuck, no, the MKM Receiver is CNC finished ONE Piece, but the same Metal Alloy as LM4, so ofcourse you cant put higher Force on the Receiver as on a RS Billet Receiver

Edited by crowley, 23 August 2014 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users