Just bought my first gbbr: MA MKM. What are things i need to know as newbie to gbbr's?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Capitol_Eric

Capitol_Eric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Playing Live shows, Metal, Recording Music, Cooking, Guns and Military

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

First off, Names Eric and im from arizona and i cant wait to start playing airsoft again!

So i just bought my first gbbr and i have no idea about the basics:
-Maintenance
-Amount of time i need and how to fill gas properly
Why does my my gun keep jamming
-The ejection port(the black piece inside the BCG keeps sticking to chamber)
-green gas is going by fast!

Anything i missed and that would help me on my way to correctly own a gbbr would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:21 AM

Eric --

I charge the magazines for 45 seconds each.  You're putting liquid into the magazine so the fill port should be straight up and the nozzle straight down.  You can't over fill them, they only hold so much liquid.  A drop of silicon oil on the inlet and outlet valves from time to time keeps the seals good.  Starting looking for a valve wrench as all gas guns need their valves disassembled from time to time.

Cheap BBs (think Walmart or Dicks) will cause stoppages quickly.  Also note there's no extractor so its easy to double charge the gun (unlike a real M4).  Broken BBs need to be completely cleaned out.  I have good luck with 0.32g Elite Force biodegradable BBs in my LM4.

Do not overfill the magazine with BBs.  The STANAG magazines hold a BB more than the magpul type.  There must be some room in the magazine to press down on the top BB and have it move at least 1/2 BB depth into the magazine.  Just like the M4 an extra cartridge in the magazine can cause a stoppage.

The gun needs to be cleaned.  A good lightweigt silicon oil is all that's needed.  Err on the side of under-lubrication.  Folks have used CLP and Frog Lube like on their cartridge guns but silicon has worked well for me.  There's an O-ring inside the bolt carrier that needs to be lubed.

If you continue to have stopages get the gun to KWA during the warranty period!  Mine went back after a couple of weeks because of broken BBs, no hopups, and general poor operation.  Been darn near perfect ever since.

Buy green gas by the case!  Many guys use propane with oil added.  Do this at your risk.  I'm still running green gas after a year (or is it two?).

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 30 July 2014 - 03:22 AM.

#3 Capitol_Eric

Capitol_Eric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Playing Live shows, Metal, Recording Music, Cooking, Guns and Military

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

Your the man!!! thanks for writing all this up even though you didnt have to! i really appreciate this since i just got the gun 2 days ago and im clueless to everything! i bought a 12  pack of valken gas and moondog orings which should be here soon.

is it normal for the power of the gun to decrease after loading mags over and over?

Pure silocone oil sounds like the all around decent lube, im going to buy that then. when applying it to he valves on the mags do but it around or inside? should the barrel be lubed as well?

thanks again!

#4 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

Clean the barrel like a real M4 but only use a damp patch, no lubricants or oils.  Too much lube in the bolt carrier will cause the barrel to get oily and degrade performance.  Ordinary .22 or 5.56mm patches work well (the bore is 6mm).  Never use paper towels, they can scratch the barrel.

Power should remain contant since gas is the propellant, not a spring which will get weaker over time.  Dirt will affect velocity.  You really need to use a chronograph to chect muzzle veloity.  BB mass greatly affects velocity.  Heavier are slower out of the barrel.  If you get white BBs they all look alike!

Pure silicone oil is available at airsoft shops.  A small bottle lasts forever.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 30 July 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#5 Capitol_Eric

Capitol_Eric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:05 AM

Ok will do! Just bought the bottle of silicone and its cycling clean! Plus it turns out the o ring in the bolt was gone so i got a new one which was the reason to jamming. Thanks again!

#6 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

Pretty sure the O-ring is on the shelf at Home Depot.  I forget which one it is but a search of the forum should turn it up.  Search for "Danco."  That's the brand. In the plumbing section.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 01 August 2014 - 03:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users