• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

The name of the thread pretty much says it all.   I am looking for new tactical lights to go on my M4s.  I have considered a number of brands and options but would like to here what you all have to say.  The only limitation I would place on this for the moment is price.  I would like to stay in the $75-$100 range (discounted retail).  I know  for the purposes of the discussion there are torches out there that the MSRP might be in the $135.00 range but can be purchased for 90 bucks.  So lets not get too hung up on price for now.  Lets talk about what you consider to be a quality light that provides a good value.

Thank you all in advance!

#2 Boss302

Boss302

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

The streamlight tlr-1 is probably the best bang for your buck.

#3 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostBoss302, on 26 July 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

The streamlight tlr-1 is probably the best bang for your buck.
Thank you, I will have a look.  Anyone else?

#4 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Interests:IF IT USES GREEN GAS..I MAKE IT SHOOT BETTER!

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Nitecore ftw! The new p10 and p20 are nice. The p12 also is good. I own about 10 nitecore lights,  and haven't had any problems with them.

#5 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

I'll let ya know what's on my "deer gun" (I chase white tails out of the back yard with the RM4) when I get home after the weekend.  Used two SF123 batteries and is surprisinly bright.  Haven't tried it on my cartridge guns, I don't khow how she'll handle recoil.  Pretty sure it was under $100.

-- Chuck

#6 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostChuck S, on 26 July 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

I'll let ya know what's on my "deer gun" (I chase white tails out of the back yard with the RM4) when I get home after the weekend.  Used two SF123 batteries and is surprisinly bright.  Haven't tried it on my cartridge guns, I don't khow how she'll handle recoil.  Pretty sure it was under $100.

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck, looking forward to hearing what type it is.

#7 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostBoobieM4H, on 26 July 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

Nitecore ftw! The new p10 and p20 are nice. The p12 also is good. I own about 10 nitecore lights,  and haven't had any problems with them.
Thanks Boobie.  Niko recommended the Nitecore brand to me and I like the looks of the Nitecore p20. The price is certainly right. I have also have played around with the Nitecore SRT6: http://www.nitecore....84#.U9ReemPw_Tp

Boobie, what do you think about this model?

This is fun...anyone else?

#8 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

View Postgcw360, on 26 July 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

Thanks Boobie.  Niko recommended the Nitecore brand to me and I like the looks of the Nitecore p20. The price is certainly right. I have also have played around with the Nitecore SRT6: http://www.nitecore....84#.U9ReemPw_Tp

Boobie, what do you think about this model?

This is fun...anyone else?
Nice. I also have the srt6. It's a little big, but packs a lot of lumens and has a nice throw. The smart ring is a nice feature, but can sometimes get moved accidently. Although,  turbo mode has a detent position on the ring, it is not that positive, but easy to find again. The srt5 is nice too and more compact. Srt7 is like the 6, just with extra color leds, which I have no need for and don't own lol. Go p10 or p20!

#9 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

View PostBoobieM4H, on 26 July 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

Nice. I also have the srt6. It's a little big, but packs a lot of lumens and has a nice throw. The smart ring is a nice feature, but can sometimes get moved accidently. Although,  turbo mode has a detent position on the ring, it is not that positive, but easy to find again. The srt5 is nice too and more compact. Srt7 is like the 6, just with extra color leds, which I have no need for and don't own lol. Go p10 or p20!
Yes, I actually got to mess around with the SRT6 at night in my back yard.  The throw and brightness was really impressive.  I agree that the size is a bit large though.  That said, it's not so big I couldn't live with it.  I'm liking the p20 at the moment and wish I could compare the two side by side.  However, if you have both and recommend the p20 that is a very strong endorsement!

Any thoughts on the Klarus XT11 (2014 820 lumen)?  It's had good reviews and has a similar button (on/off/strobe) profile ans function to the p20.

#10 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

I don't have experience with Klarus, nor have I heard of them. Gonna look into it tho. I'm kind of an addict when it comes to torches.

#11 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostBoobieM4H, on 26 July 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

I don't have experience with Klarus, nor have I heard of them. Gonna look into it tho. I'm kind of an addict when it comes to torches.
They look nice.  LMK what you think. They can be had in the $75.00 range on Amazon.

#12 BoobieM4H

BoobieM4H

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

View Postgcw360, on 26 July 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

They look nice.  LMK what you think. They can be had in the $75.00 range on Amazon.
Just put a bid in for one on ebay. Looks cool and very similar to the p20.

#13 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

I will probably get some flak for this. But Night Evolution has some good lights. I personally like the scout series that they make.  

scout mini
  http://www.ebairsoft...ght-p-6276.html

standard scout light
http://www.ebairsoft...ght-p-6275.html

#14 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostDesert Punk, on 26 July 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

I will probably get some flak for this. But Night Evolution has some good lights. I personally like the scout series that they make.  

scout mini
  http://www.ebairsoft...ght-p-6276.html

standard scout light
http://www.ebairsoft...ght-p-6275.html

No flak from me.  Nitecore is Chinese made as is Klarus.  For all I know they are made side-by-side along with Night Evolution.  I do like the style of the two listed in the links provided.

#15 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostBoobieM4H, on 26 July 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

I saw a YouTube video that unfortunately was in a foreign language. It appeared that the two lights are very similar but that the Klarus seemed to have more light to throw.  See here:

#16 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

MIne is a Night Evolution.  Marked KM3 but I can't find it listed anywhere.  Pair of SF123 batteries.  White light and strobe.  Works wells on reproduction ARMS mount. Pretty sure it was recommended here a couple of years ago.

-- Chuck

#17 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:11 PM

Here is something I think everyone. That uses lights with cr123a batteries should have. http://www.amazon.co...EK008RN8V4FZK2E

And I found the scout lights on ASGI.  http://www.airsoftgi...oducts_id=16617

#18 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostChuck S, on 28 July 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

MIne is a Night Evolution.  Marked KM3 but I can't find it listed anywhere.  Pair of SF123 batteries.  White light and strobe.  Works wells on reproduction ARMS mount. Pretty sure it was recommended here a couple of years ago.

-- Chuck
Thank you

#19 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

View PostBoobieM4H, on 26 July 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Boobie - Did you end up getting the Klarus XT11?

#20 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,595 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users