13 replies to this topic

#1 blinkboy

blinkboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hi everyone,

I searched around and found the suggestion to file down the slide to make 90 degrees.  The solution only worked the first time because the slide ended up getting chipped at the bottom again.  When I manually cocked the slide and the slide catch caught it, I noticed that the slide catch only goes up about half way.  Anyway to fix this issue?  Also, is there anything I can coat the slide and the slide catch so it's not fully metal on metal contact?  Thank you.

http://i.imgur.com/cRyJ2Tx.jpg

#2 Billy1788

Billy1788

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Just fixed this issue. It's a piece of cake!

Hope it's helpful.

http://photo.163.com...&pid=8929184803

Edited by Billy1788, 20 July 2014 - 03:22 AM.

#3 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,604 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

View Postblinkboy, on 19 July 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

I searched around and found the suggestion to file down the slide to make 90 degrees.  The solution only worked the first time because the slide ended up getting chipped at the bottom again.  When I manually cocked the slide and the slide catch caught it, I noticed that the slide catch only goes up about half way.  Anyway to fix this issue?  Also, is there anything I can coat the slide and the slide catch so it's not fully metal on metal contact?  Thank you.

http://i.imgur.com/cRyJ2Tx.jpg
The issue you are having is most likely due to one of two things
  • A damaged BB follower on the mag
  • A worn slide catch
One or the other should most likely be replaced

If you post pictures we may be able to tell you which one it is.

#4 Billy1788

Billy1788

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

I don't agree personally.

As I know, Some brand new KWA HK45 has this issue, there is not only no damaged BB follower on the mag, but also no worn at slide catch at all!

It seems the relevant size on the slide catch is short 1-1.5mm around(or maybe the tolerance), so the slide catch can't lift up fully when no BB. Adding some glue is to compensate this error.

#5 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,604 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostBilly1788, on 20 July 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

I don't agree personally.

As I know, Some brand new KWA HK45 has this issue, there is not only no damaged BB follower on the mag, but also no worn at slide catch at all!

It seems the relevant size on the slide catch is short 1-1.5mm around(or maybe the tolerance), so the slide catch can't lift up fully when no BB. Adding some glue is to compensate this error.
If the tolerances are off that would certainly cause the issue.  In that case your fix would do the trick.  Thing is, that was an issue that should have been fixed a long time ago.  If it's cropping up now that's good to know so it can be reported back to the factory.  Thank you for posting.

#6 blinkboy

blinkboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

@billy - interesting fix, wish I had some j-b weld, I only have superglue.  I'll definitely try that out when I have some, thanks billy.

@gcw - I believe the issue is mainly because the slide is worn.  Here is the slide being worn before I filed it down (sorry for the shininess)

http://i.imgur.com/kicTSAC.jpg

I didn't realize that the slide catch should not be used as a slide release so I'm sure that's what contributed to the wear and tear even though I only fired about 150 rounds with the gun.  In regards to the tolerance of the slide catch, is there a way for me to fix this on my side?  thank you.

#7 Pyro_Buster

Pyro_Buster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

I had the same problem with mine. I tried putting JB Weld on the actually slide itself, but never thought to put it on the base of the slide catch. I also find it's helpful to coat that little square in something hard. I tried super glue yesterday and it seemed to hold up.

#8 blinkboy

blinkboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Really?  The superglue on the square in the slide?  I can't believe I didn't think of this.  In your experience, do you think the super glue will hold it for long or will be more of constantly reapplying the glue?

#9 Billy1788

Billy1788

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Because the slide catch can't fully lift up, so the slide is easy to be broken.

If you have no J-B Weld on hand and only have superglue, you can also use superglue to glue the position with a small piece of metal(even hard rubber).

No matter what kind of method you use, the purpose is to lift the slide catch up 1-1.5mm when no BB.

When received the HK45, I upgraded the slide and outer barrel with Detonator CNC aluminum slide and steel outer barrel, the slide catch can't fully lift up yet, so I added so J-B Weld. And Different from SD CNC slide set, the Detonator slide insets a steel notch to prevent it from worn and broken. It's worth of it, although it's expensive a bit.

Edited by Billy1788, 20 July 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#10 Pyro_Buster

Pyro_Buster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

View Postblinkboy, on 20 July 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

Really?  The superglue on the square in the slide?  I can't believe I didn't think of this.  In your experience, do you think the super glue will hold it for long or will be more of constantly reapplying the glue?
I honestly don't know. I literally tried this yesterday, and haven't had the chance to examine it (I was pretty damn exhausted).

#11 Billy1788

Billy1788

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

In my opinion, it should be OK, because there is no any special requirement here, just lift the slide catch up. When no BB, the spring in the mag will lift it up. Any material, such as metal, rubber, plastic, even thick paper, would be OK. Also you can stick several layers duck tape until the slide catch can fully lift up.

Take a try, no any harmness to your HK45, just a piece of cake!

Edited by Billy1788, 20 July 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#12 blinkboy

blinkboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

@billy - Damn, I just looked up that slide.  You weren't kidding about it being expensive.  But you're right, just moving that slide catch up about 1.5 mm should do that trick.  I believe that'll fix my problem, just have to find the right piece of metal or rubber.  I'm just curious if this problem with the slide catch was already in the gun when I bought it or I somehow made it that way.

@pyro - I tried that method earlier.  The recoil was so hard that it ripped off most of the glue.

Edited by blinkboy, 20 July 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#13 Pyro_Buster

Pyro_Buster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Try letting the glue cure. I let mine cure for about 20 hours. Plus, I hardly use my sidearm in games enough for it to lock back. I usually end up with like 5 rounds left and reload.

Edited by Pyro_Buster, 21 July 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#14 blinkboy

blinkboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

Ahh, good point pyro.  I'll let the glue cure and try again.  But I get what you mean, I'm pretty sure I'll never use my gun enough that the slide would lock.  However, I just prefer the slide lock work so that counting my shots won't be another thing I have to worry about in the field.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users