#1 StealthTaskForce

StealthTaskForce

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Paintball, Sports, My girlfriend, Knives and Real Steel

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Tonight I was looking at the four different Mark Series 1911's, and I was wondering what all the differences were, and what the best one to buy would be, speaking on performance. I noticed that the MKII and MKIV are the only two that have Picatinny rails to attach things too, and only the MKII doesn't have the guide rode extend. Just from the pictures on Evike. Not sure if that is the case or not, but it looks like it's the only one that doesn't have the guide rod extended when the slide is racked back. If there isn't a difference in performance, I guess it just comes down to curiosity and wanting to know the differences as I can't really see too many :laugh:

#2 BLATEY

BLATEY

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Keepin' it Real.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

I think all of the MK series are limited to exterior differences only

#3 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

The MK1 and MK2 are modeled after kimber 1911s. And the MK3 and MK4 are modeled after springfield armory 1911s. As for the shooting performance they all the same. So get the one you like the look of the most.

#4 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

The Mark I is a Kimber clone, not a M1911 (the Army pistol).

Goofy Kimber ski jump rear sight, long trigger, full length recoil spring guide, and front cooling fins (only a fool would put his fingers that close to the muzzle to move the slide).

But these are styling gimmicks.  Performs just fine as a M1911.  I have one 'cuz the price was right.

--Chuck

#5 StealthTaskForce

StealthTaskForce

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Paintball, Sports, My girlfriend, Knives and Real Steel

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

Alright so then the MKIII and MKIV are the M1911?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:00 AM

All these are "modern" M1911 replicas.  But none match the actual (USGI) M1911 or M1911A1 service pistol.  The design passed into public domain the second the US government purchased the plan.  Anyone with a good CNC mill can make one -- and everyone does, even SIG and Ruger!

I believe KWA has/had/will have a "real" M1911 replica but the Mark-series is good place to start.  No one I know carries a USGI-type M1911, but many of us carry the modernized version with the beaver tail grip safety, larger and ambdextrous safety lock, and decent sights.  The mark series has all these.  Two versions have a rail.  Take your choice.

Springfield Armory is a commercial manufaturer in Springfield, Illinois, not the former USG arsenal by the same name in MA.  They make an excellent full series of M1911 pistols running from their USGI M1911A1 reproduction to full custom shop versions bumping the $3000 price range.

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 10 July 2014 - 03:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users