ATP Slide Locking To rear

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Downs

Downs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Shooting for fun and competitively, motorcycles, cars, jeeps, racing, 4-wheeling, flying, camping, hiking.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Having a problem (actually two) that I'm pretty sure is recoil spring related, at least on one of them.

1)When the slide locks to the rear I insert a new magazine and hit the slide release, in most cases the slide does not go all the way back into battery.  Could this be related to the recoil spring getting weak?  Or is it more likely a lubrication problem?  Even after a through cleaning and lubrication I still have this problem.

I am using a Spray Silicone lube if that could be an issue.  Also the pistol doesn't seemt to recoil as much as it once did.

2)The slide does not always lock back on an empty magazine.  Sometimes I'll be firing the pistol and it will not lock to the rear.  I'll notice a slight difference in sound and notice no more BBs flying down range. This isn't nearly as common as problem one though.

Thanks for any help folks.

#2 Bootskoot589

Bootskoot589

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

I am fairly new to this forum but I think I can help.

If you already know, the ATP does need lubrication out of the box, and if you didn't know, you do now I would imagine. There could (I believe) be a problem with the magazine itself, but if you watch for the mag catch to come up and it doesn't, that would be my theory, I actually don't even have any training or experience (besides a year ago) with glock type GBB pistols and don't know much of anything on function, but I BELIEVE it could be one of a few things:

- the magazine is too cold after firing
- there is an issue with the blowback unit (loose?)
- the slide needs to be cleaned

Questions to answer:

1. Is the magazine cold to the touch after firing?
2. Will it lock if you put an empty magazine in and rack it?
3. Is it time to clean your ATP? (Treat your gun right and it will treat you right)

Try looking for one of the forum experts to help you; "gcw360" seems to be very active :)

#3 Larry

Larry

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Thought the oil I had already was better than the stuff that came with my ATP, (ATP 4 months old).  Oiled it when new, didnt use the supplied oil. Worked good 3 weeks,  then gun did all kinds of strange things. Removed slide, cleaned , used KWA supplied oil this time. Make sure to get groves in upper and lower slide area, looked like mine had a paste of metal and black paint mixed together. Break in? KWA oil was much thicker than the oil I orig used, applied it lightly in all moving areas. Working good ever since.  
   Hope this helps.

#4 Bootskoot589

Bootskoot589

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostLarry, on 28 April 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

Thought the oil I had already was better than the stuff that came with my ATP, (ATP 4 months old).  Oiled it when new, didnt use the supplied oil. Worked good 3 weeks,  then gun did all kinds of strange things. Removed slide, cleaned , used KWA supplied oil this time. Make sure to get groves in upper and lower slide area, looked like mine had a paste of metal and black paint mixed together. Break in? KWA oil was much thicker than the oil I orig used, applied it lightly in all moving areas. Working good ever since.  
       Hope this helps.

Yes that is also true, be sure to use the supplied KWA silicone oil. It is entirely recommended to only use KWA silicone oil with KWA products. If you haven't been, I recommend cleaning your ATP and reapplying the KWA silicone oil afterwards.

Edited by Bootskoot589, 28 April 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#5 Downs

Downs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Shooting for fun and competitively, motorcycles, cars, jeeps, racing, 4-wheeling, flying, camping, hiking.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Pistol gets cleaned and re-lubed after every training session or airsoft game.  I'll check for loose parts.  This pistol is about one year old now so new out of the box issues shouldn't be an issue.

I will also change lube as apparently spray silicone is not the best for these guns.

#6 Bootskoot589

Bootskoot589

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostDowns, on 28 April 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

Pistol gets cleaned and re-lubed after every training session or airsoft game.  I'll check for loose parts.  This pistol is about one year old now so new out of the box issues shouldn't be an issue.

I will also change lube as apparently spray silicone is not the best for these guns.

I'm glad you respect your ATP the way I would; try the KWA lube it is thicker than most people say they have used and thus will last longer regarding relubricating, besides the fact you clean your ATP every game :D

#7 Bootskoot589

Bootskoot589

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

It is also possible that the BB Nub that pushes the slide release is broken or even worn down, try stretching the spring out in your clip. If you have multiple clips and none of them work I suggest sending it in for labor at an airsoft website such as Airsoft GI if you absolutely cannot figure out the issue. Hopefully you won't have to do that but the techs there will definitely be able to diagnose and/or fix your issue, or even KWA (obviously).

#8 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

When the slide locks to the rear I insert a new magazine and hit the slide release, in most cases the slide does not go all the way back into battery.
Newbie :drooling:  mistake.  It's really a slide stop.

Cycle the slide.  You know the drill.  Reach over, thumb pointed toward your chest as you grasp the slide.  Roll and rack it, just like it was a cartridge pistol (training, remember?).  Full slide velocity occurs if released when it contacts the frame.

-- Chuck

#9 Downs

Downs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

I shot enough pistol courses and IDPA/USPSA and range practice if your pistol will not go into battery from hitting the "Slide Stop"/Release what ever you want to call it there's something wrong with your pistol.  My thumb will comfortably reach the "slide stop" on my GLOCKs.  

I've trained and I'm used to using the slide release/stop and that's how I run my pistol.  I've tried to train to do the "power stroke" reload and I find myself when under the clock or during a course, going back to using the slide release/stop.  It's just how I've trained and used my pistols since I was in late grade school/Jr. High School and it's what I'll continue to do.

There's nothing wrong with the "power stroke" but it's not the only way to do things.  And I'm not the best at this stuff but I'm definitely not a "noob".

https://www.youtube....h?v=x5mfBG2VdjY

https://www.youtube....h?v=QWo2lS8GtxA

https://www.youtube....h?v=3Uq_gl3Q3X4

https://www.youtube....h?v=nHrtuYfxcL0

I'm glad you respect your ATP the way I would; try the KWA lube it is thicker than most people say they have used and thus will last longer regarding relubricating, besides the fact you clean your ATP every game

I clean my GBBs WAY more often than any of my real steel stuff.  I'm usually in dirtier conditions with my GBBs AND that silicone lube seems to suck up dust and dirt like a magnet.  Being trained to close the ejection port cover all the time helps in the dirt dust area on the LM4 but the pistol gets a bunch of dirt and grim in it.

Edited by Downs, 29 April 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#10 Bootskoot589

Bootskoot589

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostDowns, on 29 April 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

I shot enough pistol courses and IDPA/USPSA and range practice if your pistol will not go into battery from hitting the "Slide Stop"/Release what ever you want to call it there's something wrong with your pistol.  My thumb will comfortably reach the "slide stop" on my GLOCKs.  

I've trained and I'm used to using the slide release/stop and that's how I run my pistol.  I've tried to train to do the "power stroke" reload and I find myself when under the clock or during a course, going back to using the slide release/stop.  It's just how I've trained and used my pistols since I was in late grade school/Jr. High School and it's what I'll continue to do.

There's nothing wrong with the "power stroke" but it's not the only way to do things.  And I'm not the best at this stuff but I'm definitely not a "noob".

https://www.youtube....h?v=x5mfBG2VdjY

https://www.youtube....h?v=QWo2lS8GtxA

https://www.youtube....h?v=3Uq_gl3Q3X4

https://www.youtube....h?v=nHrtuYfxcL0

I clean my GBBs WAY more often than any of my real steel stuff.  I'm usually in dirtier conditions with my GBBs AND that silicone lube seems to suck up dust and dirt like a magnet.  Being trained to close the ejection port cover all the time helps in the dirt dust area on the LM4 but the pistol gets a bunch of dirt and grim in it.

Great videos, very respectable. Yeah the ATP does have a rep for that as well I've seen ones that haven't been cleaned for a YEAR oh man they were nasty, yes do take care of your gun the way you are. Have you tried anything to fix the issue?

#11 Downs

Downs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

I'm about to pull it out and run some drills on the local cardboard box population.  The only thing I can do is clean it again, I still haven't went and picked up any new lube.  I may just go ahead and order a new recoil spring for it.

Edited by Downs, 29 April 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#12 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:40 AM

Suit yourself fumbling with the slide stop.  :)  I'm not even sure the ATP slide will "power-stroke" (the Mark-series M1911s will not without modification).

But have you tried it?  Slide is closing during firing, right?

-- Chuck

#13 Boss302

Boss302

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostChuck S, on 30 April 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

Suit yourself fumbling with the slide stop.  :)  I'm not even sure the ATP slide will "power-stroke" (the Mark-series M1911s will not without modification).

-- Chuck
I had the older M-Series and it would power stroke, I'm sure the ATP which is fundamentally the same will do the same.

#14 Bootskoot589

Bootskoot589

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

View PostChuck S, on 30 April 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

-- Chuck

Are you helping or telling him how to do things the way he should

#15 Downs

Downs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

I have not tried to power stroke the ATP because that is not how I run my real pistols.  I have no reason to think it wouldn't.  

Slide operates fine during normal firing.  This is a recent development over the last month maybe two months that it has started doing this.  That's what has got me thinking that the recoil spring is simply getting weaker over time.

Also watch the videos there's no "fumbling" going on with the slide stop. As the magazine seats my thumb presses the slide release/stop and the slide goes home. Done.  Fewer movements overall, and I've trained performing that action enough I don't even have to think about it.  My thumb naturally rests on the lever.  Either way that's enough of the evil slide stop.  Run your guns how you see fit.

Edited by Downs, 30 April 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#16 Bootskoot589

Bootskoot589

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

Oh my gosh all my comments were based on another guys forum I read as well and assumed this thread was for the slide release not coming up on the last shot, WOW, oh man yeah actually a new recoil spring can definitely help if it isn't full returning forward, the enhanced recoil spring/spring guide by Guarder for the KWC/KWA series 17/18 will totally fix that problem, at least more often than not. Very cheap and gives the gun a more powerful snap than the factory/stock recoil spring. Only 7-8 bucks... If you can find one that is, they are typically out of stock but I believe this website is true when they say it is in stock--

http://www.airsoftat...mer-p/34489.htm

#17 Downs

Downs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

Ordering that one now.  Minus the hammer spring.  It'll be 15ish dollars after shipping I see.  Guess I report back after I get it in and try everything out.

#18 Bootskoot589

Bootskoot589

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostDowns, on 30 April 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

Ordering that one now.  Minus the hammer spring.  It'll be 15ish dollars after shipping I see.  Guess I report back after I get it in and try everything out.

I would like to ask if I didn't misinform you on which specific product to buy because I found that I did give you a link to the KWA non-compatible recoil spring for Marui and that you did find the correct spring? I apologize for the wrong link and just incase I did and I cause any inconvenience here is a link to the correct one - my apologies

http://www.airsoftat...G17-p/34440.htm

#19 Downs

Downs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

I ordered just the recoil spring by itself.  The one you just linked to.

#20 Bootskoot589

Bootskoot589

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Awesome, I just bought it myself the other night hopefully getting here by Wednesday

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATP, Slide, Locking, To rear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users