• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fatgoatee

Fatgoatee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Ok guys so I have a SR7 and was thinking about putting a magpul moe handguard on it.  I have seen a few pictures in the threads with them.  I was wondering what would have to be done to make it work?

I know I would most likely have to get a handguard cap but will it work with the delta ring?  It should work with real steel style delta rings but I don't know if the SR7 has that style.  I would prefer to not have to change the delta ring or have to rethread to make it work.

#2 BLATEY

BLATEY

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Keepin' it Real.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Yes, this should work without modification.

#3 gcw360

gcw360

Supreme Guru

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,719 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft (Especially repair and customizing), Fly Fishing, Fossils (Especially Dino), Snakes, Photography

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostFatgoatee, on 31 March 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Ok guys so I have a SR7 and was thinking about putting a magpul moe handguard on it.  I have seen a few pictures in the threads with them.  I was wondering what would have to be done to make it work?

I know I would most likely have to get a handguard cap but will it work with the delta ring?  It should work with real steel style delta rings but I don't know if the SR7 has that style.  I would prefer to not have to change the delta ring or have to rethread to make it work.
You will need a KWA (or similar AEG) delta ring assembly.  This is because the nut for the free float rail that is on the gun is not compatible with the MOE hand guard.  You will also need a hand guard cap, and keep the tower sight.  Other than that you should be fine.

#4 Fatgoatee

Fatgoatee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

After looking at the parts diagrams for the SR7 and the CQRs and watching a video or two I noticed that.  If I get a delta ring assembly off of a CQR or one of the older KWA models work it screw right on or will I have to rethread the upper?  Also do I have to use the tower sight or can I use a suppressor to hold the cap in place?  I have a madbull 7.5" diplomat barrel, which currently puts the end of the threads right at the edge of the rail system.

#5 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

I think this is an expensive modification for a cosmetic change to the gun but the photos may prove helpful.  Most guys want rails, not plain handguards.

This is where your handguard cap has to go.  This rail mount just replaced the standard carbine handguards.  Any non-free floating handguard needs the cap.  It mounts just behind the front sight frame which retains it in position and stops it from rotating.  It's not out at the end of the barrel where the suppressor would be.

Posted Image

My KM4-CQB  with the Magpul handguard.  Note the standard barrel nut and slip ring and where it mounts behind the front sight (largely hidden by the front of the handguard).

Posted Image

-- Chuck

#6 Fatgoatee

Fatgoatee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

I want the handguard for the same reason most others do.  I like the look.  I am gonna put rail sections on it to mount equipment, not planning on running it bare.

I understand that is where the cap has to go but the thing is my outer barrel is not the original barrel.  So I do not have the triangle sight any more nor do I have a place to mount it.  My question was since I do not have the sight to hold the cap can I use a suppressor to hold the cap in place.  Pretty much sandwiching the cap between the handguard and the suppressor.

#7 Chuck S

Chuck S

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:05 AM

The Magpul handguard is a "drop in" on the standard gun but the end of the barrel where any muzzle device would mount is a good 2" forward of where the aft section of the front sight base is.  The handguard cap fits between the front sight base and a lip on that section of the barrel. The handguard cap will be free to rotate unless connected to the front sight base or a "gas block" so the whole handguard will not be very secure.  The gas tube prevents the handguard cap from rotating, the little tabs keep the handguards from rotating.

The lip and the little tabs that secure the handguard cap show in this diagram.  (Diagram is from the LM4, but they're all alike including the actual M4 Carbine and M16A2 Rifle.)

Posted Image

-- Chuck

Edited by Chuck S, 07 April 2014 - 02:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users